Hi there! (Long Term FZ1 Owner Here)

RP-MOQ

I've owned my 2001 FZ1 since 2012 it's got almost 48K on the clock and after a dark couple of years where I nearly ended it's life (first had to re-build the oil/water pump when the seal failed and later absentmindedly thumbed the starter forgetting I took the cam chain tensioner out to get at a carb boot clamp screw after cleaning the carbs bent valves, chaos ensued) I believe it's close to being back to fighting form. Happy to be here. I was an infrequent poster on FZ1OA RIP (Cal FZ Rider) back in the day now just looking for a spot to hang out and maybe be able to contribute some of the experience I've had over the years with this bike. Less than a month ago I also picked up a 2023 DR-Z400S after getting peer pressured into it by my work group 😊 (I'll never learn my lesson with the carbureted bikes). I just did my first 9 miles of trail riding yesterday, it took me 1.5 hours 😂 Anyhow, happy to be here 🍻

Gonne get the FZ1 to 100K come hell or high water!

100_3470.JPEGIMG_6752.JPEG100_3462.JPEGIMG_1766.JPEGIMG_1774.JPEG

Welcome aboard, Kinda remember your issue with the cam chain tensioner. !00K shouldn't be too tough living in CA. Just went past 66666 on my spare Gen 1.

I think oil pump/water pump issues scare me the most. Congrats on getting everything sorted.

Now.......Get posting.

Definitely… the water pump seal failure was the worst. I would recommend that anyone who has over a year old coolant to go and do a flush and fill right away. As I’m pretty sure neglecting that when baby #2 arrived was what precipitated the failure in my bike.

The chain of events went like this:
-Identify the water pump failure
-Disassemble and inspect
-Order parts (wait six months for parts on back order to come from Yamaha in Japan)
-Re-assemble
-Realize carbs were clogged (should have treated the fuel run it through to give it a fighting chance)
-When removing the carbs had an issue accessing one of the clamp screws so I removed the cam chain tensioner (should have put a giant piece of tape over the key reminding me to put it back)
-Forgot to put it back and turned over the engine with no tensioner and bent the valves.
-Replaced cylinder head with (luckily) a good one off eBay.
-Cleaned the carbs with an ultrasonic cleaner (twice)
-Flushed out the water that was once brake fluid when all this started.
-Finally good to go 😅

Back