HID's

I personally think unless you plan on retrofitting projectors into the stock housing, you're better off not adding HID bulbs. I would go with a high-end halogen bulb like the Philips Xtreme Vision H4.

Here is some great reading regarding this and it explains the science behind the two kinds of bulbs

Last edited:
Most stock housings (cars and bikes) are not designed for HIDs. If you put an hid in there without a projector retrofit, the housing will throw light everywhere. Kinda like running with your high beams on all the time. Worst case it would distract on coming traffic and potentially cause an accident. A project focuses the HID light, so that you can see the road, without distracting oncoming traffic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed the cheap china made dual beem HID kit 3 years and 75,000 miles ago. I did it for the energy savings but light output (with stock reflectors) was significantly increased. I made the mistake of installing the solid state module that controls the high beem between the engine and the gas tank and the heat damaged it. I replaced it with a simple 40W relay and have had no other problems. I wired the ground side of the balast to the starter side of the starter relay. This turns the lights off while the starter is engaged. I highly recomend this. Lastly after more than 1800 hours of use (regular bulbs last 300 hours for me) I had to replace one of the balast.
For me it has been a win win. I draw less power (necesary if you run heated gear) they put out more light. and they last 6 times as long (negating the higher price).

It is not necesary to buy a dual beem kit. It is cheaper to buy 2 ballast and 2 dual beem bulbs. then simply wire the ballast to come on with the ignition and wire the high beem solenoids to you factory bulb connections on the high beem side. this simplifys the wiring and removes the need for a relay. It also saves about $10 over buying a dual beem kit.

Last edited:
Most stock housings (cars and bikes) are not designed for HIDs. If you put an hid in there without a projector retrofit, the housing will throw light everywhere. Kinda like running with your high beams on all the time. Worst case it would distract on coming traffic and potentially cause an accident. A project focuses the HID light, so that you can see the road, without distracting oncoming traffic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you leave the reflectors in place on the dual beem bulbs, they provide a very focused light on both high and low. It is the single beem bulbs and people who remove the reflectors that "throw light everywhere"

If you leave the reflectors in place on the dual beem bulbs, they provide a very focused light on both high and low. It is the single beem bulbs and people who remove the reflectors that "throw light everywhere"

That would make sense. I wouldn't modify the bulb design... thanks for your other notes! :)

Back