HJC rps 10

I decided to take a look at this helmet after reading the following review.
HJC RPS-10 Review - webBikeworld

What I am looking for is a quality helmet but more than anything I want it to be light. This HJC RPS-10 is one of the lightest helmets out there. I primarily want a lighter helmet for the track this year that meets important safety requirements. Both of my current helmets are very heavy.

I went in to my local shop today to try them on. According to HJC size chart I should be a Large. This is why I am really glad I went by the shop to try them on. Turns out I really need an extra large.

I placed my order today for the solid Anthracite (seen below) for just under $300.

5159d1295653764-hjc-rps-10-rps-10.jpg

I will give a review after I receive it and ride with it a while.

I'll have to check out the review later but I am definitely interested in a light, simple helmet like that.

I need a replacement for my Arai Vector which is starting to smell pretty bad and has packed in a bit as well. I curse Arai for not putting a removable liner in the Vector

I think you will be happy with the Helmet. The noise will be louder than your Arai. HJC is a quality helmet as is Arai. Arai being the better of the two. But nice choice. Enjoy it.

Just got the helmet in and used it going to work and back.

Fit & Finish: I was fortunate to try on the Ben Spies version when I was trying on for size. ;) So I knew ahead of time mine was going to fit well.

Paint and clear coat are better than any HJC I have had. I have had a few Shoei's in the past and it is on par with those. It is a top notch and beautifully crafted helmet. I went for the solid and I am glad as it shows off the shape and style of the helmet much better that that Ben Spies version. Plain solids are mostly my style anyway. The interior is much more comfortable than my other helmets.

It is by far the best fitting helmet and lightest helmet I have ever had. It is one of the lightest on the market right now. I literally kept feeling like I was not wearing a helmet at all.

Mechanics: All of the vent openers are solid and easy to do with your gloves on. I agree with Webbikeworld about the top vent dials. Open and closed is all you need so 5 detentes is over kill. Visor removal is quick and easy (most visors these days are.) This helmet has a center latch for the visor. It actually locks which I like. Pushing straight up on it unlocks and opens. Opening is a little stiff right now but I am told it will loosen up. I thought for sure I would be reaching for the side of the visor to open but I managed to remember time and time again it was on the center. Pin lock system could not be easier.

Sound: Don't know what to say. Quieter than any helmet i have ever had but still a little wind noise. Sound levels have never been an issue for me.

Venting: Top vents are amazing even at low speeds. I never knew what I was missing as i have never had a helmet that vented well. And yes, even today, January 28th, it got warm enough for me to need some venting. Chin vent is just ok. The chin vent gets no where near as much air as the top vents.

Extras: So I am in the shop and the guy behind the counter starts showing me the package of pin lock visor inserts. I figure I just dropped $300 on the helmet I really do not need to spend any more right now. It took me being dense for a little while before i realized the helmet came with a 3 pack of the pinlock anti fog visors. He just wanted to show me how to install them.

Bottom Line: HJC has really stepped it up a notch. This helmet has all the feature many would want of helmets $200 more expensive. I bought this for track day but I know I am going to be wearing it much more often. I will need to get a tinted visor as I am going to really miss my shades built in to the Scorpion.

I dare you to find a better helmet for $300!

View attachment 5191

View attachment 5192

View attachment 5193

View attachment 5194

View attachment 5195

Same here bro, all my helmets have always been solid black.

However, the one I got just kind of hit me like.. BUY ME I'M AMAZING YOUR DUMB IF YOU DON'T BUY ME... Ya know?

LOL

I am however insanely jealous that you got to ride today.. Mine wont be out for a couple more months until we are done getting dumped on with this crazy snow.. :(

Hail,

Just curious if you had ridden with the shield cracked open a bit yet? I ride with my visor cracked on hot days if I need more air flow so I was wondering if the center catch on the visor poses any vision distractions or problems?

I love how light you described it - sounds like it would be a lot less fatiguing on long days.

Hail,

Just curious if you had ridden with the shield cracked open a bit yet? I ride with my visor cracked on hot days if I need more air flow so I was wondering if the center catch on the visor poses any vision distractions or problems?

I love how light you described it - sounds like it would be a lot less fatiguing on long days.

I have not but will make it a point to give it a try. I think that was a complaint in the Webbikeworld review in the OP. I always ride all the way open or all the way closed. The only time I have ever cracked it open a bit was to get rid of fog but that is not an issue at all now with the pinlock insert.

Don't you hate it when....

Scratched it to hell on my second ride wearing it. :(

Set it on the ground and when I walked around my bike I kicked it. Awesome!

Oh man that sucks...I almost dropped my helmet on the last ride that I took last year. Set it on the passenger seat and it started sliding off. Luckily I was able to catch it in time...

I did that on my first ride with my RF-900. I was sitting on my bike with the helmet on the tank and off it rolled. I touched it while trying to grab it only to send it further away onto the concrete. I was so pissed off! On the biright side, after that I didn't have to worry about scratching it ever again.:shaking head:

Funny things is I always got in a good habit of putting it on the ground to avoid this drops from up high. Need to start putting it out of the way behind the front tire. :) Oh well. I can't see them when I am awearing it and it is still a wonderful fitting helmet for me.

Back