Hooligans cost effective?

When I bought my FZ1 I was throwing a leg over everything that looked awesome to ride and loved the idea of owning it and looking like the coolest guy in the parking lot getting off my bike, who cares if my wrist hurt.
The salesman said to try it again and close my eyes and feel the bike... I chose the FZ1.

I was happy to learn the bike had the older R1 motor that in its time had been greatly praised, that the technology from that time was all around this bike including a longer swing arm for stability and good rake for high speed stability along with a great transmission exhilarating top end and great maintenance and a reputation for quality with not much mentioned in the electronics department. I’m sold.

I’ve ridden dirt for years and never did traction control come into discussion but only this year did I get into street riding and have since discovered all these wonderful models along with informative magazines of few of which I have a subscription for. I’ve ridden a few friends bikes now and even owned for a short period earlier this year some classics like the 98' r1100rt and 2k' sv650 naked bikes to get a feel for twin cylinder bikes.

So far I’ve logged many thousands of miles on the dirt and over 6k on the street which is not extensive but certainly gives me a good feel. On the street I’ve had the pleasure of riding days, nights, rain, mountain twisties and extremely gusty and frigid temperatures at night crossing the I5 grapevine keeping up with traffic at 80mph; won’t do that again without the proper gear…

I read hooligan bikes were initially cost effective solutions to keep running a beat up or scraped up low sided motorcycle and I would find them on craigslist for dirt cheap. These newest breed of hooligan bikes certainly take the cake on getting all the basics with low cost to manufacturers in including all the costly extras.

It’s obvious these bikes are the pinnacle of design when it comes to bare bones add-ons and money-no-object it would be great to own these greatest show off bikes. If the idea is stripping down a low side bike and restoring it with twice the cash the bike would otherwise have been worth just to have it look fabulous naked. lust is pretty powerful, I mean who of us wouldn’t want to look great All the time in a birthday suit.

All this to say that the traditional concept of the hooligan bike also perfected in the newest FZ-09 @ 7.9k with new technology and the proven FZ1 @ 10k brand new with an R1 motor, twin spar frame and good suspension plus Comfortable ergos and a range of inexpensive mods to bring the FZ1 to the 150+ hp and great midrange not to mention adding a gel seat and your taking trips to Vegas with a smile on your face and no real soreness on your back or wallet... worth every penny saved from the 17k price tag on some of these naked hooligans...

Would I own one... well of course, the Super Duke R and Tuono V4R APRC do flood the lustful cornea and the specs are spectacular but the cost is nearing unjustified considering what the original intent of what a hooligan was supposed to be...

For this kind of price a full faired biked with a few mods for comfort in the ergo dept. and you get the best of both worlds, fully faired and sexy plus a more relaxed riding style... what do they call that? Oh Sport Touring bikes.

Hooligans IMO should be a bargain and the FZ1 and new FZ-09 represent that delineation perfectly, the rest of these overpriced naked bikes are better left for the people who like to say “My Swoosh is bigger than yours”.

Either way as the kids are getting older and slowly leaving the house to venture out on their own and getting the college plus work experience I’m left with a bigger budget… sort of. And having always purchased used dirt bikes and fixing them up getting a great bike for cheap mentality also helped in the decision making when purchasing the FZ1. In a few more years time and now with the love of naked bikes and what they represent (represented) my budget God willing will get even wider and contemplating a homogenized, overpriced hooligan might be in the picture… truth be told if the FZ1 gets totaled for some reason I might be taking a Tuono for a test drive. For the money however and true to a naked bikes original intent the FZ1 and new FZ-09 can’t be beat while still looking sexy. Yamaha still has that formula down packed.

Being the resident Tuono "pusher" they are really very affordable (rear tires excluded). Piaggio, Aprilia's parent company has outstanding financing at zero down, and 3.99% for 60 months. Additionally '13's are an additional $1,000 off. At $12,999 is is perhaps the best hooligan value out there.

That said I'm really looking forward to the '14 Hooligan reviews; Super Duke R, Tuono ABS, BMW R, and the Ducati. We are truly living in an amazing time for motorcycling. Remember who bad things were 5 years ago?

AF1 Racing Showroom Inventory -- Austin and New Braunfels

I've always been a fan of the naked bikes, Fz6, Fz1, SV650 for the look. I don't like the look of plastics.

The Tuono V4R was the bike I lusted after for the longest time, till I went and sat on it. I may be just a little too big for the bike and again wish that I was a smaller Italian man just so I could fit on an Italian bike. The rearsets seemed to be made for a Geisha because I don't even think they made it past my arch and I was pressing in on the lines attached behind it. I've heard that some dealers may offer a demo ride program and I will try to get one in if I can.

Luckily BMW is coming out with the S1000R in the spring most likely and I fit fairly well on a S1000RR so I'm assuming the ergos will be ok. Also the only rumor I've heard on price for the S1000R is that it will be around or slightly less than the base RR. So for all the tech on that bike for the price it should come in will be amazing. It may not be the fastest of the super nakeds (new term) but amazing to ride.

KTM Super Duke 1290 R looks amazing, sounds amazing and would be a blast to ride but the price tag around $25,000-30,000 seems really steep.

Kawasaki Z1000 is an interesting contender in the liter naked bikes. I was not impressed on the demo ride that I took on that bike in the spring. However, the styling on that is too much anime and not enough motorcycle.

The Fz-09 is a great bike for the money, not sure how I would like the ergos while riding because I'm almost bolt upright and I prefer a slight forward lean. Also the thought of having to redo the suspension and then get a full performance upgrade to work out the tweaks.

The Fz1 is a lot of fun and I will be hard pressed to find a better do-it all bike. I just know that the next steps to make it truly better will be about $1500 in suspension upgrades, and at least $1000 in performance mods.

Honda has the CB1000R or CB500F are in the game

Suzuki and the SFV650

Ducati with the Hypermotard, Streetfighter, and Monters.

Really so many options now in the hooligan ballpark. I guess the truth is getting an older bike that can be tinkered with and dropped and loved would be the best way to go.

There's only one kind of hooligan bike :D

sponsored-nuques-4.jpg

Is that a DRZ-400SM? I guess you may be right about the whole super-moto family as well. Should they be called naked/streetfighters instead of hooligan bikes?

I've always been a fan of the naked bikes, Fz6, Fz1, SV650 for the look. I don't like the look of plastics.

The Tuono V4R was the bike I lusted after for the longest time, till I went and sat on it. I may be just a little too big for the bike and again wish that I was a smaller Italian man just so I could fit on an Italian bike. The rearsets seemed to be made for a Geisha because I don't even think they made it past my arch and I was pressing in on the lines attached behind it. I've heard that some dealers may offer a demo ride program and I will try to get one in if I can.

You're correct Ssky, the T is a much smaller bike than the FZ1, a very aggressive naked. The FZ1 is like a limo compared to the T. However that gets you razor precision, killer brakes, and an ungodly motor. It's all about compromises.

IMG_2685_zpsea1d0525.jpg

The term Hooligan seems to come up when ever I ride my Supermoto 990.

As a guy who also started riding on the dirt (and still do) this bike is a lot like riding a dirt bike with a big v twin. You don't have to spend 17 grand to have a modern bike.

Without a doubt this is the most fun bike I have ever owned. There is nothing like the V twin growl from the airbox while the Akrapovic exhaust just rumbles so nice while ripping up the twisty mountain roads in these parts and the Brembo's make hauling it down so easy.

Only trouble is riding like a hooligan can be real hard on you drivers license.

Back