How do ya ride if you're short??

Hey guys and gals-
I was just wondering if I would need to lower my bike for my girlfriend to ride it? I am 5 foot 8 and can barely reach the ground when mounting the bike, she is 5 foot 2 and got me into motorcycles so i want her to be able to ride it... is she too short to do so safely? Or will i need to lower it for sure? it is an 05 model FZ1.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
32 seat height -- that alone makes it a stretch for the inseam. Probably will have to lower it to be able to ride it safely -- an 1" would probably make it more manageable for you, but I'm not sure about you GF. You can purchase/make some links to drop lower than an inch and raise the forks to be able to keep similar geometry from the stock setup.

As far as what the total distance would be -- trial and error for a fixed setup or maybe see if there is an adjustable link that would serve your needs.

...just remember that as you lower the bike -- the centerstand will raise the wheel more off the ground when you go to use it.

Welcome to the forum!

Adam

If you're 5'2" I don't think the FZ1 is the motorcycle for you. You're going to have to lower it a lot to make it "safe" for her to ride.

I met a guy years ago that was in the army. Minimum height for enlistment. He had BMW 1000 with fairing, bags and all. He would put he bike on centerstand, start it, knock in first gear and then rock off of stand. When he came to light he would kick it in neutral and hop off and stand next to bike.
Craziest thing I had ever seen. His legs were straight when he was sitting on the seat with feet on pegs.

Safe? No way. He was in one of my MSF instructor courses.

Back