How do you go about finding 6th gear?

mrjessehlee

I always find myself squeezing the clutch lever to check I am actually on top gear on motorway. No big deal on a short ride but when the ride gets bigger than 500kms, it stresses my left wrist quite a bit.

Funny thing is I know I am on top gear. but its this thought at the back of my head 'is it really?' LOL

Does anyone else get this too?

Don't feel the need for a gear indicators on ebay as such but just something that will let me know that I am on top gear (like a led light or something).

Any thoughts anybody?

I think most of us are guilty of trying to find 7th!!!

Get yourself a gear indicator, you can see at a glance then that your still in the top cog.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

With the gearing I have, I know my bike sits on 4500 rpm at 100kph. If it's revving higher I know I have another gear to go.

This is a good approach. The more you ride, the better you'll know your bike and the less you'll have to guess :Rockon:

After coming off my K6 GSX-R1000 and onto an 2010 FZ1N, one of the first things I bought was a Healtech X-Type gear indicator.

The Gixxer spoiled me and I have to have one these days.

If you want to spend the time doing it, some of our members have fit it into the speedo cluster so that it looks stock.

After coming off my K6 GSX-R1000 and onto an 2010 FZ1N, one of the first things I bought was a Healtech X-Type gear indicator.

The Gixxer spoiled me and I have to have one these days.

If you want to spend the time doing it, some of our members have fit it into the speedo cluster so that it looks stock.

links or pictures?

Here ya go:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/13680-gipro-x-type-gear-indicator-custom-install.html

Scottyd has sold his FZ1 but he posted a thread about installing the gear indicator into the speedo cluster.

Thanks Ballmead. Saved me looking it up. This is how mine eventually ended up looking

006-8.jpg

If I'm in 6th but unsure, I'll just put some pressure on the shifter and get off and on the gas real quick as if I'm clutchless upshifting. It feels a bit smoother than doing it with the clutch.

Blanchy, that is a really professional job. Looks great.

Mrjess, I used to just use the tachometer method. Top gear was about 4000 rpm at 100kmph if I recall correctly. Now I'm on a Multistrada and it has a gear indicator. As an aside, the multi is geared a bit higher than the FZ1 so top gear doesn't see much use.

very easy and simple my friend, I learned this long time ago, look the speed on 6th gear on lets say 4K RPM it might be 60MPH, ( you can do this for every gear) once you are on 4k RPM and you are traveling 60 MPH you know that you are on 6th gear, memorize this and you'll be good, it took me about a week but after you know a set speed per gear per RPMS it will became second nature to know what gear you are on, I hope my explanation is understandable

I did the 7th gear check a lot. I'm used to my bike now so I can pretty much be right on with any gear between my speed, tach, and engine sound. But I did have the same thought about adding a gear indicator, then you'll have another thing in the back of your mind, "is the gear indicator working right? am I sure its reading correctly? I'll just check to make sure..." then we're back where we started haha.

I did the 7th gear check a lot. I'm used to my bike now so I can pretty much be right on with any gear between my speed, tach, and engine sound. But I did have the same thought about adding a gear indicator, then you'll have another thing in the back of your mind, "is the gear indicator working right? am I sure its reading correctly? I'll just check to make sure..." then we're back where we started haha.

Oh crap Mike, I almost forgot to do that thing for you. Going to send it now. Sorry bud, I got sidetracked after work.

I'm sorry, but am I the only one here that cannot seem to find this thread of the custom install of the GIPro indicator?? I've tried and tried, now I suppose I'll ask for help...

Back