how to eliminate rear fender -mudguard-?

I've got the Gravesport fender eliminator kit, but I'm not sure how to install it. I mean, how do you remove the tail light wires from the mudguard? Do you have to cut the wires? I found the four bolts holding the mudguard that need to be removed, but I just can't figure out how to fish the wires out without cutting them.. Can someone give me step by step instructions? Thanks..

snip snip done , its just a wire, actually depending on the kit you have i might not wanna offer that advice. does the kit made to use the lights you currently have ? worse case scenario leave your self on the light end just incase you have to reconnect.

The connectors are burried really deep inside under the seat. I tried to get to them but after about an hour looking at all the stuff I'd have to remove just to get to the conectors I cut the wires about 8" or so from the signals to give myself plenty to work with, then spliced them after I was done getting the fender eliminator in place. Then I used silicone and tape to make the spliced connections as waterproof as I could.

I put a new license plate and signal light mount on mine and got rid of that bracket that hangs out over the back. I was able to "fish my wires up and reconnect to my rear signals. Wasn't easy but possible. No cutting involved. Not sure if that is what you are trying to do. Hope this helps. Been too long to remember how I did it. Sorry!

I put aftermarket signal lights on mine, so I had to cut in and splice the new wires to the existing signal wires. I used small bullet connectors to connect the new lights to the Yamaha wiring, retaining the original connectors.

images

....if it were only this easy....

Hey Jimm,
I'm new to the forum, but I just bought a 2008 FZ-1 and I just got done installing a fender eliminator last night. I used the stock blinkers and license plate light, and I was pretty adament about not cutting any wires. It took about 3 hours, a little creativity, and finally it was done. I think it came out pretty well, and I took pictures along the way. If I can figure out how to upload pictures, and you are still interested I could throw together some basic instructions. Let me know.

Got-Boost Not half bad for a Kenosha boy...lol J/K
Had to say something to a fellow Kenoshan. I just sold my 06 Max and bought an 09 FZ1.
Did you guys get rid of the plate light too?

Back