I just saved 500 dollars a year by switching to Progressive!

CBR6RRRider

So I am about to pick-up my FZ1 today, and knowing that I needed insurance I decided to get some quotes. I've had my SV650 covered by GEICO for the last four years and I figured if I added the FZ I would get a good deal. Right now I pay about $40 a month for liability plus $1,000 deductibles for collision and comp., and I also have roadside assistance.

So, I did an online quote where I added the FZ and HOLY CRAP, it jumped up to $1100 a year!

Being the investigator that I am I decided to get the same quote at Progressive. For both bikes, same coverages (actually I get $1000 more in accessory coverage AND disappearing deductibles) the cost was $500 even.

Armed with this knowledge, I called GEICO and although the gentlemen was very nice and tried to get their price dropped to around $700, it still wasn't enough.

So with the joy of saving $500 a year for the same coverage, I am happy to say I am now a Progressive customer. :)

Lesson for all: If you get a new bike, shop around again for insurance, don't assume just by adding it to your current policy you'll get the best deal.

Age of Information

Shopping around is so easy these days why would you not. Companies of all kinds are finding out the hard truth that in the internet age word travels fast! Poor pricing and service catch up very quickly these days.

For many people in many markets Progressive is very hard to beat for bike insurance, many insurance agents will tell you that right up front. The gecko or Flo......I know which one I'd rather look at. I only pay $115/yr for my FZ1.

standard.jpg

I ended up with Progressive for the Tuono. American Modern wanted $1598, Safeco - who I have the house, cars, and umbrella wanted $774. Progressive was $265. Not bad at all.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Damn I pay $215/yr for liability only. $5??/yr for full coverage. I see no need for full coverage right now. But I may consider a change IDK.

BTW: After 2yrs and 5 days of ownership I have 21,345 mile on my baby since new.

I know when I checked on FZ1 insurance, Geico was 2x's what Progressive was. I stuck with Flo. :flip: Geico

I had the same experience. What made it worse is that I already have a auto policy with Geico and they still couldn't give me a good price. My thought is that Progressive list the FZ1 as a touring model vs. supersport like the other places.

I had the same experience. What made it worse is that I already have a auto policy with Geico and they still couldn't give me a good price. My thought is that Progressive list the FZ1 as a touring model vs. supersport like the other places.

Yea, I pay more for just liability on my '97 YZF1000 than I do for comprehensive on the '06 FZ1 (this is with Progressive). They were the cheapest around for me also and it helps that I have my car insured through them as well...

I myself HATE Flo!!! Not only do the commercials annoy the heck out of me, after reading this thread I said "what the heck" and called for a quote. Just liability on the YZF.........$1,308.00 dollars!!! WTF!! I've always had Geico and when I got the bike I called and they are giving me the same liability coverage for $457.00 dollars. It's still $100.00 dollars more than I paid for the FZ1, but she says that it's because the YZF is a Sportbike plain and simple. It's still better than Progressive. I've had Geico for over 12 years now.

I myself HATE Flo!!! Not only do the commercials annoy the heck out of me, after reading this thread I said "what the heck" and called for a quote. Just liability on the YZF.........$1,308.00 dollars!!! WTF!! I've always had Geico and when I got the bike I called and they are giving me the same liability coverage for $457.00 dollars. It's still $100.00 dollars more than I paid for the FZ1, but she says that it's because the YZF is a Sportbike plain and simple. It's still better than Progressive. I've had Geico for over 12 years now.

That's interesting as in NJ Geico is definitely more expensive than Progressive for same coverage. I think you need to move out of the Bronx :poke:

Our insurance company is a Crown corporation. No shopping around for us :ugh:

I pay about $200 a year for the FZ under vintage plates and about $600 a year for the SV plus an additional $325 a year for private additional coverage, where there is competition allowed. If I bought the additional coverage through our primary insurer, it would be another $600 a year on top of the $600 for just basic

I am with Allstate, they have been very good to me. When I shopped them recently I found it is cheaper to insure multiple bikes through Allstate then the others as well. I really like having an agent for my needs vs an online service, it does not hurt that he lives on my street also.

I've had Progressive for many years and I always check at least two other companies every year just to make sure I'm getting the best price for the coverage I'm looking for. Now, granted I' old enough to be some of our member's grandfather but age does have it's benefits once in a while and that combined with 47 years expeience on a motorcyle on the street and a clean driving record gets me a good price on insurance. In Michigan, I haven't been able to beat Progressive and I have Auto Owners for my house and two cars but Progressive still beats Auto Owners for both my motorcycle and my Motor Coach.

LOL, 800 A year for both bikes and full coverage with roadside thru Progressive.

Back