I need your help and thoughts

jrf

Ok guys, I really need your input. Right now I have an FZ6 and while it is a great bike I'm wanting something bigger.

Have any of you ever owned another larger bike ie. CBR Blackbird, Kawi ZX-14 or a Busa. The reason I ask is that I have always wanted a Busa or a Blackbird. Well I found a Blackbird (a 2002 hold over with only 87 miles :wow:) it even comes with a factory warranty and all for $7500.

Well the Dealership let me take it for a test ride and :woot: the power was very nice, BUT OMG my wrists were killing me after just 4 miles or so.

Now like I said I have an FZ6 and have ridin it on longer rides and no pains and I know the FZ1 is pretty close in the seating position so the FZ1 gets a huge plus here.

If you have every riden a Blackbird is the FZ1 somewhere close to the power? No I'm not power hungry :spank2: but when you can just roll the throttle and go :drools:

For those who haved owned and FZ6. You know when you first felt the power of it? Well is it that same rush going from the 600 to the 1000?

I quess what I'm asking is that you NUDGE me in the direction of an FZ1. I know my body will thank me if i get the FZ.

You see your dream bike, you ride it, and it kills you after 4 miles? Are you really gonna want to ride it knowing the outcome??

Suggestion -- you probably need to use your legs more to hug the tank instead of just allowing your arms to carry the majority of the weight.

If I were you, I'd way my options before dropping 7.5k+ and would try to find a bike that fit me instead of me trying to fit the bike. I've played around with some of the ergos to try them out from the stock position (Gilles rearsets/Surburban Machinery bars/GYTR lowers) and I love the current setup.

I've seen people take R1's and fit them to more of upright position, and I assume the same thing can be done for the Blackbird. Different strokes for different folks.

See if your Yamaha dealer will let you test ride an FZ before you go dropping $$$ for someting that you might have to force yourself to ride.

Adam

Last edited:
Having owned two FZ6's and now the FZ1, :wow: is ALL I can say. It is everything I loved about the FZ6 but with a lot more power (Hold on when you roll the throttle!), better brakes, shifting, suspension, and just as flickable in my opinion but I'm not a small guy.

I have zero regrets and I feel you'll also share this experience as well!

For me its a "no brainer". The FZ1 has all the power you'll ever need and you can ride literally all day. I'm 47, and the wrists have seen better days for sure yet I'll easily do 300 mile days with no discomfort at all. Also, I'm sure you'll be able to pick one up for less than the Blackbird.

never ridden a blackbird. sat on a kawasaki zx10r before i got the fz1--no way. my wrist hurt after 20 seconds. now there are clip ons but who wants a bike that can go 189 mph with clip ons? the fz1 can go 174--not me-- and it feels great to me. i am 54 with bad arthritis. i too had a fz6. and a 2002 yamaha warrior. fz1 is probably my last bike--on this earth. so my wife says-----

Here are my thoughts regarding this. If you're only going to have one bike then get the FZ1. It's an all around great bike. If you can have two or three bikes then you can get a more sports oriented as one of your rides.

I had bought a '97 Yamaha YZF1000 last Fall, but didn't ride it until April of this year. I rode it all of 200 miles before deciding that it just wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong I loved the power and handling, but I was just so uncomfortable after a few miles that I knew I would end up not riding it that much. And that is not an extreme sports bike like say an R1 or R6. As a second bike it would have been great.

No regrets here about "upgrading" to the FZ1. By the way here's a re some pictures :)

97 YZF1000:
IMG_0476-1.jpg

06 FZ1:
IMG_0710.jpg

Thats a beautiful bike Tony! Man, that would be a great second bike. That bike really did look mint, just like you said. Anyway, I am headed out for my Sunday ride. I think I am gonna hit Greenwood Lake today and there abouts. Have a great day. Billy.

Well after looking at some pics from this site and the "othor one" I am now TOTALLY wanting an FZ1.

Now for the big problem, there are none for sale anywhere close to where I live. Yesterday I went to 4 dealerships and none had any in stock:rant: . So if you guys know of any close to KY,Oh,WV. let me know. I'm looking for a GEN II, the mods that I've seen for this bike are awesome.

Thanks to all that have posted:bowdown: No need to "sell me" on the FZ1, it is definatly the bike I want.

fly 'n ride -- can be a short getaway and give you some shield time with the new scoot.

I'll probably have to look at doing that for the next ride...(it'll be the only way that I can get to the East Coast to meet all you fellas......)

Adam

Back