I think the Owners Manual is wrong.

WMU_BRONCO

It suggests you can remove the air filter without disconnecting the fuel lines.

On page 6-17 (2005 Manual) it says:

1. Remove seat.
2. Remove fuel tank bolts (points to both front and rear).
3. Lift fuel tank to position it away from the air filter case. (Do not disconnect the fuel hoses!)

Then it goes on to removing side panels, rubber cover, air filter case, and air filter.

IS THAT POSSIBLE?

If so, then how do you position the tank away from the air filter case enough to gain access without disconnecting the fuel hoses?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's possible. I just did my filter the other day. While I had tank off for other reasons, it is possible to do the filter without removing the fuel lines.

Then where do you set the tank, and how do you position it away from the air filter case enough to gain access without disconnecting the fuel hoses?

If I were to do it again with the tank in place I would do as follows. I would remove the front tank bolt. Then unscrew the rear bolt and remove it. Then I would use just a piece broomstick and lift the rear of the tank and insert it across the frame which will suspend the tank about an inch or so above the frame. I then unscrewed the two bolts on the rear crossmember and moved it forward. The rubber piece attached to it has two ears on it which locks onto pins on the frame rails that double as grommets for the side panels. I pulled off the ears downward off the pins and the entire rubber flap comes off. Below that is the cover with 4 screws that encloses the filter. Remove the 4 screws, pull the cover up, swap out your old filter for new, and reinstall everything in reverse. It sounds like alot of stuff but its really not. It just takes longer to explain it.

that is what I did when I serviced my K&N and biggest pain is the rubber flap that goes over the top of the airfilter box to gain access to the bolts.....

I have a service manual... and it lives in a box in the closet... it really isn't good for too much....

General rule.... do things the way that makes sense... and normally, that's the "right/best" way... regardless of what the manual says...

FWIW, when I clean my Air Filter, I remove the tank completely... when I have to work on anything under the tank for that matter.. I remove it completely...

It just makes sense to me... it takes what? maybe an extra 30 seconds to remove the tank? and then you don't have to worry about it...

If I were to do it again with the tank in place I would do as follows. I would remove the front tank bolt. Then unscrew the rear bolt and remove it. Then I would use just a piece broomstick and lift the rear of the tank and insert it across the frame which will suspend the tank about an inch or so above the frame. I then unscrewed the two bolts on the rear crossmember and moved it forward. The rubber piece attached to it has two ears on it which locks onto pins on the frame rails that double as grommets for the side panels. I pulled off the ears downward off the pins and the entire rubber flap comes off. Below that is the cover with 4 screws that encloses the filter. Remove the 4 screws, pull the cover up, swap out your old filter for new, and reinstall everything in reverse. It sounds like alot of stuff but its really not. It just takes longer to explain it.

Hey, that might work! I bought a new air filter, but have not got around to installing it yet. Maybe I will try it that way. Thanks Billy!

Hey, that might work! I bought a new air filter, but have not got around to installing it yet. Maybe I will try it that way. Thanks Billy!

Not only will it might work but it WILL absolutely work. Just another note as VA Rider has said. It really only takes another 30 seconds to just remove the tank completely. This will not only give you the room to work, but also save you from any accidents like it sliding off the frame and onto the floor.

Well I just put the new air filter in. I elected to remove the tank. I was concerned about trying to work under the tank with no bolts holding it place (afraid I might accidently knock it off the bike). And the length of my hoses would not have allowed a lot of clearance under the tank to work. Everything went fine except for those @#^%$ grommets that are integral with the rubber cover. I struggled with them for quite a while before I decided to lubricate them with WD-40 and push a small screw driver blade down along the side of the frame stud and pry them off. Of coarse putting them back on was easy because of the conical stud end. The old filter was actually not that dirty.

I think my bike is now in good order. I have owned it for two months now, and have installed new tires, new spark plugs, new coolant, new air filter, and fresh Mobil 1 15-W50, and oil filter.

Last edited:
Well I just put the new air filter in. I elected to remove the tank. I was concerned about trying to work under the tank with no bolts holding it place (afraid I might accidently knock it off the bike). And the length of my hoses would not have allowed a lot of clearance under the tank to work. Everything went fine except for those @#^%$ grommets that are integral with the rubber cover. I struggled with them for quite a while before I decided to lubricate them with WD-40 and push a small screw driver blade down along the side of the frame stud and pry them off. Of coarse putting them back on was easy because of the conical stud end. The old filter was actually not that dirty.

I think my bike is now in good order. I have owned it for two months now, and have installed new tires, new spark plugs, new coolant, new air filter, and fresh Mobil 1 15-W50, and oil filter.

Good job Bronco, just make sure that as you bring the tank back down, that the lines are free from any kinks. Just bring it down nice and slow and you'll be fine.

Good job Bronco, just make sure that as you bring the tank back down, that the lines are free from any kinks. Just bring it down nice and slow and you'll be fine.

Thanks Billy. It's all back together now. After owning this bike for two months, I do believe it is one of best, if not THE best bike I have ever owned. Good looking, comfortable, good handling, great brakes, strong engine, and fairly decent fuel economy for a one liter bike.

Back