In Flies hell

dduck

Well I attempted to install fce, pcV, mod air box, change the flies.

All was good until the tip of the brand new screwdriver broke off in the head of the screw. I can't get it out, and can't risk it finding its way into my motor.

At this point just going to trailer it to a real mechanic to finish the job. :banghead:

Sorry to hear this. I do know how this feels though. I bought a brand new set just for the job and the same thing happened. I panicked and decided to drill it out after hours of trying other methods (i.e magnets, heat, frantic cursing) and nothing worked. After I weighed the options I decided to drill out the screw. DO NOT DO THIS. It will be nearly impossible to get a straight proper point to start the drill bit, which will lead to a slanted hole which can be even more disastrous. I ended up using JB Weld to replace the screw, which is working well after 1600 miles with continuous supervision.

From the pic below I did not fare well in my glorious stupidity.

However one observation from my nightmare was that when I began drilling was that after the bit started to rattle around the tip of the screwdriver it fell out. No heat nothing, but high frequency vibration. From there the magnet I had to catch the pieces; pulled it right out. This was after I had tried my luck with a dremel where a slip of the hand nearly cut it in half, and after multiple times where the drill bit walked away from me. After trying to repair it, cracks formed on one edge. :mad: Maybe a light tapping with a soft metal tool with a pointed tip might break it loose with a little magnetic persuasion? Welding magnets are pretty strong, Neodymium magnets are strong enough to crush fingers. Also using painters tape along the circumference of the flies sealing the gap helps to ensure nothing falls into the engine without leaving any major residue. Whatever you do do not damage that aluminum shaft that the flies are mounted to as you cannot buy that piece directly. I have been looking for months for a replacement in the form of used parts. Anyway sorry for the long winded sob story. Good luck hope it works out for you. Hope your story ends up better than my blunder.

I took it to a pro, I would wind up making it worse.

They are going to take the assembly off to avoid metal getting into engine.

I want to thank Ivan because without him this would have went much worse for me.

Local mechanic couldn't get the flies off either and told me to ride it with the screw head that way (X2 once they had the same thing happen) or buy another throttle body. I had them take the assembly off and shipped it to Ivan. He got the flies off no problem.

I should be back on the road next week without worry that my motor is about to eat a small metal shard or 2.

Needless to say I have lost confidence in another local shop. The last one ruined my rotor while changing the tire and didn't tell me...SMH...

Hard luck there chap!!!
i purchased a quality screw driver for the job from a tool shop,,the point broke off it,overhardened i suspect,next day went into a diy store and found a set of small metal screwdrivers,,they did the job,even the one where the head broke and partly damaged the screw,, i think the secret is heat,lots of heat,i heated the head of a heavy screwdiver to red hot and held it on the screw head for 8 seconds, loosened them nice,,still scary though.
I never give up,,you should of seen me last night swinging on the end of a bar on the 37mm socket to remove my 17 tooth front sprocket,haha , mad as a hatter i am
Billy

with those little screws you gotta do a little trick to them to get em out sometimes. with you put the screwdriver in the screw, give the screwdriver a tap or two on the back with a hammer, it breaks the threads loose and the screw will unthread like butter

Back