Induction changes with stock exhaust

I have a new 2008 FZ1 and I am still in the process of breaking it in and so far I really like it. I also have a Hayabusa, 2007 GSXR 1000 with the usual exhaust pcIII mods and a 1998 1200 Bandit with a fully balanced and blueprinted 1216 motor. One of the issues I am having with the FZ1 is it really feels like it is being held back engine wise (it doesn't have anywhere near the same throttle response or sense of urgency that my other bikes have and isn't even close to what my 02 and 04 R1's had even though overall power isn't much different) and from reading all the posts about the dramatic improvement in throttle response and overall power by upgrading the exhaust along with the induction stuff I find myself really tempted to do what I didn't want to do with this bike. My question is what kind of improvements, if any, will be seen by making the induction upgrades such as Ivan's flies, FCE along with a custom map but keeping the stock exhaust? The FZ1 is going to be my everyday bike and quiet really is the best option in California but that doesn't mean I should have to ride a bike that runs like my old carburated bikes. Your help, comments and suggestions really are appreciated.

You can never have too many motorcycles! I have ridden over 640,000 miles on motorcycles, always choosing them over my cars. I don't make an incredible amount of money, but once I paid off my first bike I just kept saving what the payment would have been. I find by doing that every two or three years I get to add a new bike to the stable and I don't really need to get rid of what I have. My wife doesn't always understand, suggesting that money should go toward family things, but I figure that the family still gets to do all the usual things and we are not aquiring any new debt, so why not do what really makes me happy and makes going to work somewhat tolerable. I will say that with my restored 1970 Honda 750 I have a really nice and balanced stable.:rmwl:

Personally I believe the biggest restriction on the FZ1 is the exhaust with its two catalytic converters. Opening up the intake w/o opening up the exhaust is not going to accomplish much.

There are exhausts out there such as the Yoshimura R-77 that have enough muffler volume to be relatively quiet, especially with the db killer installed.

Back