Input Appreciated

So I am ready for another bike and have my loan already approved. Since I've never ridden a full sports bike I need input on which is the better buy. I will just ride around like I currently do, and maybe a track day or two just for the experience and improve my riding skills. I know some of you have had experiences with several bikes in the past or currently.

My two choices are:

2012 ZX10R ABS

2012 R1

Liter supersports are all very similar. I've ridden 2013 R1, 2013 S1000RR and 2014 GSXR 1000.. all excellent machines with similar power and handling.

2012 R1 because it's a Yamaha and it sounds nice.
Seriously though, if you can test ride them all then go for the one that fits you best or you prefer the look of. They all go crazy fast.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Liter supersports are all very similar. I've ridden 2013 R1, 2013 S1000RR and 2014 GSXR 1000.. all excellent machines with similar power and handling.

You couldn't have revved them very high if you think a 2012 R1 is similar to a BMW S1000R.
The beemer smokes it in the top end.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Even though I think Yamaha builds a better bike than Kawi I vote for the ABS! I hope you never need it but if it saves your butt once it's worth every cent. Nobody can out brake ABS in that quick moment when Bambi or the texting teenager pulls out in front of you.

Sucks Yamaha won't ring the ABS FZ to the States, geeze they already have it over there -Bastages!!!!

Ok guys thanks for the replies.

@ballmead: Test rides are out of the question here since these are new bikes (leftovers) still sitting on the dealer's showroom floor un-prepped.

I absolutely love my 2012 R1. Looks great, the crossplane motor sounds AMAZING, and the traction and throttle control settings are a great bonus.

I do wish it had ABS like the ZX10. That is a nice feature.

Really though.... which bike gives you the butterflies in the tummy thinking about it, and which one feels the best when sitting on it.

Ok guys thanks for the replies.

@ballmead: Test rides are out of the question here since these are new bikes (leftovers) still sitting on the dealer's showroom floor un-prepped.

keep an eye out for demo days. yami had one here at the track and had the r1 fz1 and r6. I missed it, but a freind said he was surprised, said they had had a lead rider, but he was able to go to speed with it. unlike street demo where you are kinda stuck at speed limits

You couldn't have revved them very high if you think a 2012 R1 is similar to a BMW S1000R.
The beemer smokes it in the top end.

Sent from my Nexus 5

This is true.. I didn't get the BMW up to redline.. I think 11k is as high as I went. If the bike will mostly be used for street, it's all huge overkill. Few tenths of a second in a quarter mile hardly make a difference for street use.

As been said by others, to original poster.. go with one which really turns you on. They're all very fast, excellent bikes.

Well I did the deal today and should pick up my Red ZX10R ABS tmwr. They gave me 4200 for my bright orange FZ lol, I think because they really needed to get rid of that 2012 Kawa. All said and done, I financed $9826.

Well I only picked it up this morning. Of course since it's new I couldn't / didn't get on it plus tires need to be scrubbed/scuffed. With that said not much to report about the ride. I have a lot of reading to do and get used to ABS. She's attached.

Back