Is it a safety thing?

7.62fmj

Just procured a speed camera warning system. Little mini (bike specific) system that I can leave on the bike.

It's the Inforad M1. Only £40 (was £100) and can help keep your licence. I heard a chap talking about it the other day and he reckoned it was very accurate...we'll see. The system uses GPS to determine where you are relative to the cameras and flashes a red LED at you. Obviously, it can't protect from the feds with hand helds or sneaky mobile units.

I use radar detectors in the car and when I have the sat nav on the bike I get the same warnings as with the Inforad.

I'm not sure I understand the nature of the post... what's a safety thing? knowing where the cameras are? I don't think it's a safety thing at all knowing where they are... that just makes you slow down for a half mile at a time... until you get past the camera and speed back up....

unless the point is that the speed cameras are there for safety... which is the point of the cameras... to make people drive slower... either by getting mailed a ticket, or by knowing that there are cameras in the area and generally driving slower...

Speed cameras are not a safety thing...they are a revenue thing. Here in the US in some places they are installed and maintained by companies that split the revenues with the state and local municipalities. You draw your own conclusion...

Thank god we don't have speed cameras in the states yet (at least where I live and have traveled). Last time I was in England I had a rented Ford 500 (i think they call them a Mondeo or something over there) with a turbo diesel and a 5 speed. It was fast and fun I wish Ford thought of making that engine choice available over here. Anyway, I kept thinking, how on earth do people get caught by these cameras? They are brightly painted giant boxes, and where there were speed cameras there were also white stripes painted on the lane. On the M roads, there were only white stripes painted on some of the lanes - I assumed these were to measure the speed? Do the speed cameras emit energy waves?

I just kept my speed up and changed lanes to one without the paint markings and I never heard anything from the rental company about speeding tickets. I drove over 100mph almost the whole way from London to Dover with my whole family in the car 5 deep it was great. I would just wait for a Volvo or Bimmer or Benz to come by going 100+ and follow them.

As far as safety - we all know that has to be a croc of crap. Speed cameras don't make anything safer. We just started to get red-light cameras here in Texas (we are fighting their constitutionality though - a private company administering the law???) and they definitely make NOTHING safer. I read a study that accidents at red-light camera intersections actually increased. Everyone is always freaking out and jamming on the brakes thinking they will get a ticket. Also- the bastards actually shortened the amount of time the light is yellow so it goes from green to red much faster. It's all about revenue and it's straight up tyrannical.

I knew that this would be a contentious issue. It is in the UK. Cameras over here are regarded (stated by the government) as a matter of safety. However, they are regarded by most of the population as 'revenue generators'.

Me...well I'm a typical biker...I don't really do rules but I don't consider myself above the law either. I'm on the page of if someone uses technology to keep me in check then I'll use appropriate counter measures to keep the game level. I actually do find this type of detection or warning equipment a useful aid in keeping you thoroughly aware of your surroundings. I know a couple of police officers that hold the same view.

It looks to me as if "Big Brother" is again sticking his nose in our business. I hope they don't start that crap here. I heard they tried it somewhere but was too expensive to implement as standard equipment. I think those "stop light" cameras cause more rear end collisions than anything. I hate them and try to avoid them at all costs. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys approaching these intersections with the guy in front aware of the camera, but the guy behind him wants to beat the light. The first guy stops at the last second thinking he won't make it, yet the other guy is now too close to stop in time. Bingo! Another case of whiplash.

:+1: above
The device that warns you of the position of speed cameras/intersection cameras is only a safety device in that it warns you of where other drivers are driving like idiots. I think that the red light cameras do cause more accidents than they save and the speed cameras cause drivers to slam on their brakes moments before they get to the cameras, causing chain reaction braking. Thus the above device could keep you safe by warning you to avoid all the idiots in front of you. Just my op & i hope we never get to that point here in the US

Here in the land of Nuevo Mayana---they have been poppin up like flies on %$#@, and everything that has been stated above applies!

Through these wonderful intersections (5 in all on my commute to work) I keep a distance of about 50' between me and the vehicle in front -- and I usually see about 2-3 people get nailed daily.

I recently received a red light camera bundle of joy -- 75.00 and it was because of someone riding my @$$ with the family in the car and guess it was a price to pay to eliminate something more disastorous.

Just waiting for the cage rear camera that will allow you to prove your case in court when you get a ticket to show that it is not always the ticket holders fault...

This is the governments way of generating revenue at the expense of people's vehicles and hopefully not, lives. You get rear ended because you don't want to deal with having a ticket, some idiot who thinks he can magically pass through your vehicle in order not to have to wait an additional minute for the next green. Now even if you don't have injuries, your car has damage, you miss a day's work, your insurance premiums go up, your left to take a train or bus to get to work for the next two or three weeks until your car is ready.....and on....and on..., all this to generate a little pocket money for the Fat Cats in city government!! Okay, blood pressure medicine time.

Back