Is it loud?

MrHix

Greetings,

Before I put the silent insert into my 09’s Akrapovic carbon fiber hexagonal silencer, I decided just for fun to run a completely un-scientific sound check. I set the sound meter as shown in the picture about level with the outlet. Tested in the garage and came out with the following:

Without Insert: Idle – 84 dBA, 3500 rpm – 90 dBA, and 7000 rpm – 100 dBA

With insert: Idle – 81 dBA, 3500 rpm – 88 dBA, and 7000 rpm – 99 dBA

What does this really mean? I was bored and it was raining outside. No, that’s only part of it. It is a little bit quieter, but still has the same rumble (frequency).

Next time it is nice weather in MO, I will get a chance to try and compare the feel of the power with and without the insert. Maybe I can also get a drive by video with sound at the same time. I’m hoping that it will be above freezing by sometime in May.

Cheers,

MrHix

1989d1267047300-loud-sound-test.jpg

Didn't know akra had the insert option. Had that can once, too.

You won't see any difference in power. HOWEVER, and I don't know how loud the akra is without the silencer, my graves scares the crap outta deer when running high rpm's.

By the time I get to them, all I can see is them running away from me. They don't seem to mind the graves a low rpms, like going down a mountain or going slow, though.

Actually the Akra is quite quiet without the insert, which is an EU required item (I guess). I just got one with the silencer and decided to try it. If I don't like it, I can just cut the SS rivet and remove the insert.

As the numbers show, at the higher revs, the difference becomes nil.

Cheers,

MrHix

I am not sure how the Akra baffle is constructed, but on the Yosh R-77 that I have there is about a 3 HP difference between baffle and no baffle. I would suspect a similar difference with the Akra as well. You can see the difference in the dyno runs below:

3514_4_.jpg

3514_3_.jpg

Well that's very interesting NJFZ1

I had my bike on the Dyno about 8 months ago at a Dyno shoot out.
The bike put out 131.38hp with only the TRC slipon, the db killer taken out and a K&N air filter.
After I got the power commander and tuned, the bike put out 136.26hp and read 69.30nm of torque.
Conditions were, 89.56*F, 30.14 in-Hg Humidity: 11% SAE:0.98
The PC3 was tuned for economy more then anything.

Why dose yours only put out .84hp and 1.97nm more?
What were the conditions like on the day?
I didn't think I would be anywhere near the power of a bike with such modifications as you have.
Cheers

The bike put out 131.38hp with only the TRC slipon, the db killer taken out and a K&N air filter.
After I got the power commander and tuned, the bike put out 136.26hp and read 69.30nm of torque.

I didn't think I would be anywhere near the power of a bike with such modifications as you have.
Cheers

I might be able to suggest a possible reason for discrepencies. In Adelaide, we have two main blokes doing dyno tuning on bikes. The difference in dynos is around 8 hp...lol.

Cheers

I might be able to suggest a possible reason for discrepencies. In Adelaide, we have two main blokes doing dyno tuning on bikes. The difference in dynos is around 8 hp...lol.

Guys, sorry if I confused you. Those aren't dyno charts of my bike. I took those from the Yoshimura site to illustrate the difference in HP between running a baffle and no baffle. I have not had my bike on a dyno, but I am sure it's putting out over 140 RWHP based on my mods.

Oh.. WOW you had me worried lol.. I thought mine was taking something it shouldn't be like avgas.
Hahaha

Rider1a posted that he took his on a Dyno after getting his pc3 and looks like he came out smiling. This is the info off his post at (2008 FZ1 Dyno graph results w/PC3 map)

143.7 max hp
73.7 max torque

My set-up:

K&N air filter
Ivan's Air Box mod
O2 sensor deactivated
Scorpion exhaust slip-on
AIS removed
The rest of the bike is stock........

That is some pretty good numbers. I gutted the cat on the weekend and now it rides like a dream. It really complimented the air box mod. Might have to hook up the pc3 again and get it tuned once again. Should come out with around the same numbers....
Cheers

Back