Is this a decent deal?

CBR6RRRider

Hey all,

I am in the market for a 1st gen FZ1 and I'm trying to see if one I am looking at is worth the money.

The ad for the bike is here: 2005 Yamaha FZ1

The owner is asking 5k for the bike without all the touring parts, but I think his price might be a little high. I have seen some others in the local area for 4k or best offer, but this seller has installed new tires and put a new battery in, and has meticulous maintenance records so I'm not adverse to spending more money to ensure I get a good running bike.

With the CF GYTR exhaust, new tires, battery, and CF fender you are looking at at least $700 in extra cost, so I would think $4500 would be a reasonable price. What do you guys think? Does it make more sense to find one for 4000 and do the mods myself?

If you can find one in your local area similar equipped with those low miles, I'd go for the lower priced one. Modding is part of the fun! But if it already has what you want, get it. Finding some of those parts is going to be difficult. I haven't seen a gytr exhaust for a gen1 for sale in a long time.

It is a very good looking bike and in the end it is up to you to decide if it's really what you have ben shopping for. Remember these two things about used bikes. First is the adds the PO has put on do NOT increase the value of the vehicle, and two, the bike wil be seven years old and age cannot be reversed not matter how well it has been maintained. There are a lot of rubber parts that age no matter what has been done, short of putting it in an oxygen free environment and usually they will probaly need replacement soon. Metal surfaces oxidize, especially where you can't see it, like in brake areas and other surfaces that generally are out of normal sight. Any carbed bike with as few miles as this one has may need to have the carbs reworked. Bottom line is you need to see it in person and RIDE it to give it a true evaluation. Anything less usually ends up in second thoughts and regrets. Good luck.

I just bought 07 2nd gen with 4900 miles for $5000.IT had a slipon,power commander and gel seat,fender eliminator.Like the post before me said after market parts don't add a nickel to the value.Go to kelly blue book to look up the value.I wouldn't pay more than $3800 for a 1st gen.Watch craigslist every morning because when its priced right it will sell quickly.If you search tampabay craigslist theres a 1st gen for $2500 which you could probly get for $2000.Good luck John

I'm picking up a 2009 on Tues. from a member here and it is blue with full lower fairing and GYTP exhaust for $5,500. Wait you will find one at a better price especially up north. Where did he find a battery for $350.??

I'm picking up a 2009 on Tues. from a member here and it is blue with full lower fairing and GYTP exhaust for $5,500. Wait you will find one at a better price especially up north.

Oh so you're the one that bought it :D That's a great deal you got there. Enjoy the bike :)

You can always check 1.) kbb.com and also check what the dealers use to decide what to buy a bike or sell it: nada.com. It depends on where you live by zip, but that may give a good estimate of what a dealer or craigslist is trying to do with the price.

As mentioned, the best thing probably is to 2.) see it and ride it before any decision and 3.) have it checked out by a mechanic if you aren't fully aware of what to check on it

Those are the steps I have used. The last time I bought a bike I test rode more than 15bikes before I found what I'm on now. My 2 cents...

All,

Thank you for the advice and suggestions! Right now I am stationed in Korea, but will be returning to the states to go on leave on December 10th. The Army is picking up my stored goods on December 28th so I am trying to get a bike before then so they can ship it with everything else. It does seem like there a quite a few FZs for sale at any given time, so I think I will keep waiting and see what else pops up.

Back