Jet kit

I own a 2005 FZ1 and I would like to jet the carbs. I work at a Yamaha dealership and have access to pretty much any parts that I could want. My question is would it be possible for me to piece together a jet kit without having to buy one? The reason behind this would be to save money. If it is not possible, cool. I am just curious.

I own a 2005 FZ1 and I would like to jet the carbs. I work at a Yamaha dealership and have access to pretty much any parts that I could want. My question is would it be possible for me to piece together a jet kit without having to buy one? The reason behind this would be to save money. If it is not possible, cool. I am just curious.

Just PM VaRider for the info. He could probably give you the specifics on all the separate Jet Numbers and such to do it yourself and save a bundle of cash.

If you're below 2000ft of elevation, go get 4 127.5 main jets, if above 2000, 125's. If above about 4000, 122.5..

Replace the stock 130/132.5 mains with one of the above, turn the air screws 3 turns - 3.5 turns out.

Go to Radio Shack and get a package of "Circuit Board spacers".(They're electrical Washers) They measure out at .5mm. Put 1 under each needle to raise needle height.

That's the jet kit that you'd pay $150 for.

Then, to the airbox. Take off the air-box lid, drill a 1" hole in the top of it. Flip the cover over and remove the 1/2 of the snorkle facing the carbs.... Replace stock filter with K&N and replace cover.

While you've got the carbs off, that'd be a good time to "port" the intake boots. Basically, the boots come with a bunch of extra rubber on the inside that effectively shrinks the size of the intake.... with the carbs off, you can stick your finger in the boots and feel that they don't mate up cleanly to the intake ports on the engine.... You take a dremel and fix this... I can give more detailed directions if needed.

Since the topic has come up, I'll ask: My bike has been running rich since I had to replace my muffler. I think it was a tad rich before but I really notice it now. What can I do to lean it out a little? Thanks.

I have the 125 mains with the stock filter and air box mod. I ported the boots too. I'm not interested in going to the K&N again. I can't remember the shimms but I'll look at my video if you need the number.

The easy way to do it will be to lower the needles a shim... You can start with that,(cause you can do it on the bike) and if you are still too rich, you'll have to give the air screws a turn...

shim height depends a lot on other things.. elevation, temperature, other mods... etc...

I had to change my regular settings on the air screws to make it run right for my elevation... I'm at 3.25 turns out all of the way across...

but... I think your measurements might be off... .067mm would be a little more than 1/2 a mm ...

Radio shack washers

Hi,

Are these the washers needed?

Assorted Flat Washers (100-Pack)
Model:
Flat Washers Catalog #: 64-3022

Assorted Flat Washers (100-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Want to be sure it's the right ones (can't tell what kind of metal they're made from -- stainless or just steel that may rust).

I plan on fixing a gas leak so I'd like to do the jets at the same time. The garage smells like gas in the morning (small bead of gas under carb #3).

Thanks
Mark

Just curious as to why ppl get jet kits on a bike that I think is crazy fast already lol???

Jet kits are not always just for power, but for better drive-ability as well. These carburated bikes are notoriously lean from the factory in order to pass EPA regulations. A jet kit will especially improve part throttle response, which is where you really notice how lean they are. Also is you add a slip-on (or full exhaust) there will be the need to jet accordingly.

Back