Just got an FZ1 and I hate it.

Sorry my first post here is so negative, but I'm honestly baffled, shocked, and disappointed by how much I hate my stock '07 FZ1, a motorcycle I've been interested in for years.

The short version is that it's the most uncomfortable motorcycle I've ever ridden, and it gets the worst gas mileage, too. I feel like a chump for not doing a little more research before buying it. I certainly should have taken it for a longer test ride first.

Problem 1: comfort.

Having ridden a Tiger, V-Strom, and Speed Triple before, I sort of assumed that all bikes featuring a sit-up-and-beg riding position would be more or less equally comfortable. Not so, as it turns out. Within 15 minutes of riding on my FZ, my ass starts to hurt. Specifically, my coccyx (yes, it's a fun word to say), AKA my tailbone. I say this as someone who used to commute every day on a DRZ 400: the FZ really, really hurts my assbone. A lot. So much that I'm willing to admit to the internet that my assbone hurts.

Question 1: So I've searched a bit and have found that other folks think their stock FZ seat is uncomfortable, too. Do I really need to drop a bunch more money for a custom seat?

Problem 2: mileage.

I'm averaging about 32 MPG when riding very conservatively. In contrast, the absolute worst mileage I ever got while really winding out my Aprilia SL1000, for example, was about 38MPG. That's an uncorked liter twin with aftermarket exhaust being ridden with a rather free throttle hand, mind you. I was also quite a bit fatter when I had that bike - like sixty pounds heavier. I now weigh 200 pounds.

Question 2: What the actual fuck is up with the horrible mileage? Yes, I am using 89 octane gas.

Yeah. You probably should have test drove a few and done a little more research. Based on your post, I'd sell. I love mine but I'd be lying to you if I said I like its comfort and mileage. I had my seat done, added riser exensions, and swapped bars. It helped a lot but its no Caddy.

Are you a tall guy? Sounds like you're sitting pretty leaned back since your tailbone is hurting. Are you sitting with your balls against the tank? You should sit about a fist distance between the boys and the tank. This is really how you should be sitting and it'll shift the weight off your tailbone. Ergonomics on any bike can be altered/fixed with bars, seat, and rearsets. I think maybe a couple hundred dollars at most is a small price to pay for a seat that keeps your butt comfortable. Lower bars will also shift more weight off of your tailbone.

I averaged about 32 mpg's on mine which I never thought was too bad for a liter bike. My current Tuono V4 usually gets 28-32 and the light comes on usually around 85 miles. Compared to that, I thought my FZ1 got great mileage.

I'm 5'6" and 155 pounds and found the FZ to be very comfortable. But then again, I'm pretty sure these bikes were designed around little Japanese guys the same size as me.

Are you a tall guy? Sounds like you're sitting pretty leaned back since your tailbone is hurting. Are you sitting with your balls against the tank? You should sit about a fist distance between the boys and the tank. This is really how you should be sitting and it'll shift the weight off your tailbone. Ergonomics on any bike can be altered/fixed with bars, seat, and rearsets. I think maybe a couple hundred dollars at most is a small price to pay for a seat that keeps your butt comfortable. Lower bars will also shift more weight off of your tailbone.

I averaged about 32 mpg's on mine which I never thought was too bad for a liter bike. My current Tuono V4 usually gets 28-32 and the light comes on usually around 85 miles. Compared to that, I thought my FZ1 got great mileage.

I'm 5'6" and 155 pounds and found the FZ to be very comfortable. But then again, I'm pretty sure these bikes were designed around little Japanese guys the same size as me.

Not especially tall - 5'11".

It's worth experimenting with riding position, as you've suggested. I do tend to hug the tank in an elbows-up sort of way. It feels more intuitive for riding crossed-up, which in turn feels like the right way to ride super upright bikes. I find myself wishing I could put some of my weight on my wrists after a while, though - not something I ever expected to wish for.

The mileage issue is what it is, I guess. I just expected better.

I am 6'2" and must say that the Fz1 is rather comfortable once the stock seat is replaced. Rearsets help in addition, I like more weight on the wrists which gives me better front wheel feeling. That said I guess for you it would be just a different seat. I rode many bikes and usually all of them require a seat replacement or at least the ones I owned or rode for some distance. I do 600 mile days on my Fz1 and while that is exhausting it is not terrible uncomfortable.

The gas mileage depends on your driving habits, the Fz1 has a sport bike power band and gearing that means shifting fast up and staying in 5th or 6th all the time is not a good idea. When you want to accelerate it is better to shift so that the rpm are 6-8k. Above 10k and the fuel is running like crazy again. However reading that you had a speed triple before the riding style may need adjustment to get better gas mileage. I get 38-42 mpg when sport touring and still 36 when carving, so my style is smooth without much braking and accelerating more of a constant speed style that conserves a lot of fuel.

Comfort varies between people. I'm 5'7" and find the seating position very neutral. I have the stock seat and I can go 90-100 miles before I just have to get off for a 5 minute break. But that is usually time for a break anyway. No real issues for me.

If I go out for a 150 mile I usually average right at 43-44 mpg if I just ride sanely. Your mileage sounds very low, I'd be checking the throttle body synchronization, clogged air filter, tire pressure.

It sounds like you don't want to like this bike, so maybe you should just move on.

Something is causing your poor mileage. I never get under 35 and I don't ride like an old lady...
I'm 6'5 and while I haven't rode a speed triple the fz is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden, and being a bike tech I've been on a few of em.

Something is causing your poor mileage. I never get under 35 and I don't ride like an old lady...
I'm 6'5 and while I haven't rode a speed triple the fz is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden, and being a bike tech I've been on a few of em.

I did a fluids flush right after buying the bike, but I haven't replaced the air filter or spark plugs. I should probably get to that sooner than later.

Side note: recommended filter and plugs for this bike?

For your seat, contact member dirt road on the "other forum". I bought my FZ with his seat mod already done and I can burn through 5 -6 gas tanks in a day w/o getting a sore butt.

Am 6'-2" and un-slim;)

I get 37 mpg average, with the "Ivan" full package ( Ivan's Performance Products )... so there is something wrong with your set-up.

Last edited:
I agree i thought the same thing about the comfort . Not only is the seat terrible the shock is just as bad. I did the seat shock and raised my bars up 2" and its much better .Im 6'1 210 lbs.
But your gas mileage is bad .stock i averaged 40 mpg .
This bike is easy to work on and the parts are plenty and pretty cheap.
I dont regret buying this bike but if i would have takin a longer test ride i dont think i would have bought it.

As IBcivic has said, do a search for dirt road seats. Not only will your arse be much more comfortable, your seat will look awesome too. The $150 it cost me is cheap when you see the huge increase in comfort it provides.

While these bikes aren't the best on fuel, your fuel consumption sounds very high. I would definitely do a service, replace oil, filters and spark plugs.
Riding sedately with stock gearing you should see 40 mpg.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The stock seat is worst I ever sat on, so I upgraded. Everything else is fine as expected, but I purchased new. I also added riser inserts ($30) for a slightly better upright riding position that allowed me to keep the stock cables. Maybe the previous owner did something that is affecting the mileage? I would check the air filter and do you have a stock pipe?

I have a 2012 and find that the stock seat is the most comfortable seat I've been on in years. I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds. I am an avid road cyclist so I'm used to a very firm seat and a leaned forward position.

Doing 5 to 8 hours isn't an issue for my butt but my torn rotator cuff starts crying.

Fuel mileage can be as low as 32 in heavy city traffic like in Chicago during rush hour to 44 cruising on the slab at 70mph. The smallish tank is what most FZ1 Gen2 owners complain about but it works for me to stop every two to three hours to empty my 64 year old bladder.

I did a fluids flush right after buying the bike, but I haven't replaced the air filter or spark plugs. I should probably get to that sooner than later.

Side note: recommended filter and plugs for this bike?
Don't do a k&n any of the other high flow brands get good reviews... K&N doesn't fit without modifying the trim ring. I've tried 4 different ones with 2 different fz's.
Do Iridium plugs for longer change intervals being you are fuel injected.
I'd never put Iridium in anything carbed personally with how finicky they are.

I am 6 foot, and also about 200 pounds and i find the seat to be ok, I did a few long trips, couple of hundred miles at a time and don't have much problem, i find it way better then the FZ6 for instance.

And on fuel i would be happy to be getting what you are! Roughly working it out i get high 20's to low 30's commuting and a little bit more if i ride long distance at a steady pace on the open road.

The stock seat is horrible. You may find that you would like your handle bars lower allowing you to lean slightly more forward. I have lowered my bars and used rear-sets to move my pegs back and up slightly to make the bike ergonomically pleasing to me. Add to that I have purchased a both the Corbin and Yamaha comfort seats (both used) and found both way better than stock. I ended up selling the Corbin as the Yamaha comfort seat works better for me.

Don't do a k&n any of the other high flow brands get good reviews... K&N doesn't fit without modifying the trim ring. I've tried 4 different ones with 2 different fz's.

I just did a K&N air filter purchased from Amazon, and it fit perfectly. No problems at all, and I was expecting problems. Who knows?

How the F are you guys getting 30+ mpg?! And yet call that poor mpg.

I get a combined hwy and street mpg of 28mpg if im lucky. Other then that. I average 26mpg. I do ride quite hard tho lol traffic in my area gets pretty bad at the time i get off work. Id day its on par with LA traffic during peak hrs and if there is an accident...it isnt moving.

Back