Just joined

G'Day loosers :)

Looking to swap out my KLR650 for an FZ1-S so I can pillion the missus... at the moment I borrow a mates DL650 when she is along...

Been riding about 5 years, got into it after realising I am too old and unfit for mountain bikes anymore...

Done a lot of riding in Thailand, although with 3 kids, getting 1 month leave passes each year, to get drunk and ride motorbikes (not usually at the same time) is getting harder and harder... a mate in Thailand has an FZ1, and it seemed to be a great bike... had a very hard time holding him off in the twisties on my Ninja650 rental...

Getting a lot of pressure from my mates to get a Superblackbird... but think it might be too big for my skill level... and I would feel like a twat when I drop in in the driveway at the servo...

Joined up to do a bit of research on the FZ1 before I make a purchasing decision...

Cheers,
Daewoo (Darryl)

Welcome!

I recently sold my KLR and bought an FZ1. You will find a QUITE a difference, I am sure. Mine has an Akropovic slip on and a power commander. It thrills the daylights out of me as the rpm's climb. I hope you have a good relationship with your missus (mine has her own bike) because when you twist your right wrist with her on the pillion she may dig her fingers into your guts.

Still not sure if The Bride is actually interested in riding, or more interested in doing something together...

With 3 kids under 6, we don't do much together, usually it is all just organised around who is staying home with the kids, and who is trying to get a thousand jobs done in the shortest amount of free time...

but she does come along sometimes for a day ride, which takes a lot of organsing... I am kean to try and keep her interested because;

Daewoo:"Honey, I want to sell the KLR and get an FZ1 so I can go super fast..." SWMBO:"And hell is due to freeze over when???"

or

Daewoo:"Honey, I want to sell the KLR and get an FZ1 so that we can go riding together and have quality time..." SWINPIMH (She who is now putty in my hands):"Are you going to go looking on Saturday or Sunday" :rofl:

Cheers,
Daewoo

Welcome aboard mate. I'm new here too but so far I'm loving the FZ1.
It's comfortable, handles well, is fun to ride and is pretty fast once you get the revs up.
They are pretty easy to ride as most of the power is in the top end. The FZ1 reminds me of my old 2004 GSX-R750 as the power delivery is pretty similar.

:welcome: Darryl! We'll all be more than happy to put aside any concerns you have about this bike and we'll also flat-out tell you if it is NOT the right bike based on what you ask. We may be FZ1 owners but we're not going to try and sell you on a bike you'd not be happy with. ;) Cheers!

My sister has a Ninja 650 and it doesn't compare to a FZ1. The FZ1 can be an absolute blast to ride or tame if you keep the rpms down and your right wrist in check.

:welcome: daewoo...and may you make the right choice and all will go better (read faster :tup: )

my 2cent to approach this : if you can get your in-laws to look after your kids for a weekend, this will allow you both to have a quality time weekend to recharge the batteries and enjoy a ride through the countryside...

G'day mate. Still haven't found anything that will touch me in the tight stuff. A well ridden FZ1 will eat pretty much everything, from R1 to GSXR750 to Speed Trip in my experience:smoking:.

With the stock rear shock, it'll squat a bit under gas which causes the pegs to scrape early (more of a problem if you're over 90kg's), but aside from the rear shock, and a bit of a fuel cut off issue (I have an 06...the worst of the fuel cut problems...lol) this bike rocks. Good riding position for seeing and being seen. Comfortable on longer rides. Fuel range is pretty acceptable for touring. Keep the revs lower and you've got a puppy dog ride, and keep it up over 9k and it's like grabbing a bull by the horns:eek5::unworthy:.

Not the greatest pillion ride in the world I imagine, but nothing really is unless you want to ride an armchair:laugh2:.

Thanks for all the replies...

Considering how conservative The Outlaws are, they have been pretty good coming down the Sydney (they live 2 hours away in the Blue Mountains) to look after the kids for a day while we go out with my group...

As far as the actual bike goes, it seems like nothing much changed AFTER 06 right??? from what I read, there was a low rev fuel problem before that, but everything post 06 should be OK...

I Arseume we are talking build dates here, i.e. what is on the compliance plate, not an 06 model (which may have been built in 05)...

I was in Sydney City Motorcycles at Rockdale yesterday, and they have an 08 compliance bike which they are selling as new... I thought that e.g. on 08 model would have been sold from Sept 07 till Sept 08, which means it is 2 years old...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Yup. After 06 should be sweet with regards to the throttle. It was the first of Fuel injected models.

Yamaha FZ1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The good thing about buying an 08 new now is there should be a considerable difference in price, but you should get full warranty still. This is how it went down when I bought my FZ6. Paid just over 9 grand for a brand spankin' FZ6 with full warranty.

Thanks Ozzieboy...

My local bike shop has an 08 build bike for $14K, which is only about $3K off RRP. I would have thought that running out a bike that is 18 months old would have lead to a much bigger discount that that...

So I guess I will look for one for $10K with 2,000 km... Money being a big part of the purchasing decision...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Thanks Ozzieboy...

My local bike shop has an 08 build bike for $14K, which is only about $3K off RRP. I would have thought that running out a bike that is 18 months old would have lead to a much bigger discount that that...

So I guess I will look for one for $10K with 2,000 km... Money being a big part of the purchasing decision...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Hi there Darryl, I'm relatively new to the FZ1 too. I bought my 08 model from Sydney City MC's at Kogarah in April. I got mine for 14,500 brand new. So 14 should be top price as you said.

Back