Just some Friendly advice

I've been reading some of the threads on modifying exhaust and intake systems on the FZ1 and I don't think the guys doing this have really thought through the implications. First, when you start cutting away at the exhaust to make it sound better (louder) you are openig yourself up to some nasty fines from the Feds. It's spelled out in the manual and if you have the time and inclination to actually read the law, you can get burned pretty bad if you get called on it. Second, if you have a warranty related problem with your bike and either the dealer or the manufacturer can make a connection between your mod and the problem you are having, they'll throw your warranty in the crapper and you'll be on yur own. I've seen this happen a few times and most riders don't have the time or money to fight the manufacturers. Be smart, if you want a different exhaust but an aftermarket that you can take back off if you need to. For those who have already ruined a perfectly good exhaust and really want to be pissed at themselves, check the cost of a new one. This is a bad practice that I thought was gone now that some cities are really clamping down on noise.

Your absolutely right Don. I know in Denver they already have new laws in effect for exhausts. New York just followed suit however was pushed back for at least a few months until it passes the desks of the city legislature. If passed, it means a lot of headaches for a lot of riders. Any aftermarket exhaust which is in place on the bike, must have an EPA stamp on it stating that it conforms to the 89 decibel rule. Look out Harley guys!! Not to mention that first offense fines may be higher than $500.00 dollars and 3rd time they confiscate your bike. You don't even have to be riding at the time. A meter maid can ticket the bike in a parking space without you being there! The bad part about the NY agenda is that all agencies can issue tickets, Police, Parking, and Sanitation. Now I know that the Police would not be wasting their time looking for bikes parked in the street, but metermaids live to give tickets, and would become sharks in a swimming pool! This proposed bill is in writing already. I'll have to find it and post it for everyone to read. Billy.

As one who has a Titanium MIVV GP (with silencer removed), I guess I'd change my tune in a hurry if 500.00 tickets were being cited. Fortunately, the LEO's haven't paid much attention to me, b/c I drive through a 1/2 mile speed trap, almost everyday on the way to work. But I guess I need to look into the law and see what NM states.

Definitely food for thought....

BroHay

I believe that Denver is the only state so far to enact this law. I don't specifically remember. I think there are 12 states that have some kind of ordinance but Denver I think is the one that enforces the law.

I think it's just like modifying anything else... the big deal with the converters is the emissions issue... well... guess what... you change ANYTHING on your bike.. you change the emissions. Add a Power Commander, you change fuel curves, timing curves ... and emissions. You change gearing, you have increased emissions at 60mph, because you're now at a different RPM... You change mirrors, you change the amount of air resistance there-by changing.... emissions....

So.. I wouldn't worry about it personally. If you're worried about doing everything legal, and not changing emissions, than I urge you to leave your bike in bone stock configuration. However, if you like getting a few extra ponies to move you around... if you like "modding" your ride, then this is the place for you, and you'll learn the tricks to do so.

I don't think it is as much about emissions as it is about the warranty. I don't know too many states where the emission police are running around to see it the converter still has all the guts.
I am not the most mechanical guy in the world so I don't think I will be gutting my cat any time soon. A new slip on will probably give the added power and sound that you are looking for without gutting the cat and voiding the warranty.

I personally dont care about the warenty, its my toy not the family wagon.
And as far as the noise. I havent had any problems yet, but with citys down to little towns hurting for money cause of the economy, they do look to thier police department as a source of generating revenue, so police may be under pressure to pull you over for any stupid reason.

What a Joke! quit your whining, start your riding

First I hate to be the guy to point it out to you, but have you ever read a motorcycle warrenty? Probably not. They're s***, the warrenty unless it's a recall issue is pretty much void the moment you hit the curb with your new purchase. Second, enforcement on dB level is not the height of law enforcement protocol. Third, I do agree that everytime you mess with any system on your bike you, affect emissions, and I mean every single little change, changes the stock settings from the factory. Have any of you out there ever been busted for a modification to your bike, that didn't make it go faster, or especially make it louder. Did you know that replacing your shi**y stock paper/foam air filter with a quality K&N voids the warrenty? Yeah, didn't think so. So unless your twisting the throttle, quit it with the hand wringing, what are you a bunch of f****** p****** or old woman. Illinois has some of the most stringent pollution control/emission laws on the books ( yes, and that even includes the retards in Sacremento,California) how do I come to know all this meaningless information? I work as an ASE ceritfied emissions technician in Illinois and go to school 3-4 times a year to learn about the newest and greatest brilliance coming out of Washington. Most of which is absolute bulls***, and meaningless unless it provides a revenue stream for some state supported scheme.:hug:

The cops pop riders for loud pipes when they want to generate $$$$$, they usually really do have other things to do(like bust kids making out in cars parked on some side street), except of course when there is a gathering of bikers, then the dB guns come out like the OK coral. Personally I love the stock sound of my GENII, so no new pipe is in the pipeline anytime soon, but just as soon as the Chicago tundra melts, I will be installing a new Power Commander, and then see what happens to gas milage, performance,etc.:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. The SEMA organization fought and won that argument in court. Specialty Equipment Market Association - SEMA.org

An MFG isn't going to void your warranty over an exhaust and a K&N air filter either. Now you go 4th over and drop in a set of cams all bets are off.

Most bikes are a bit on the fat side from the factory to compensate for folks adding aftermarket goodies.

Also adding a Power Commander will not cause your bike violate emission standards either. In fact if a PC is properly dyno tuned with a 4 GAS sensor it will increase mpg, reduce emissions and boost performance.

So mod away and fear not, its okay, really.:D

Last edited:
Back