Kickstand after lowering

That 1 inch lowering front and back helped a lot? Im the same size as u and when i get to a stop sign with a passenger it can get a little hairy.

Yeah, man, it really did. I was really teetering on tip-toes before, and when I took my wife on the back one day a couple weeks ago, it was downright scary trying to come to a stop. I'm 130 lbs. and she's about 120, so we're together not all that heavy, so it didn't compress the suspension enough to where it was safe. It was pretty funny watching her try to get on the bike too. Pretty much had to jump up like getting on a horse or something...LOL!
Now, I can just about flat-foot on both sides standing at a light, and I feel like I have much better control over the bike in general, even around corners. I don't care what anyone says about the handling changing, I know that I'm holding a line better around a corner since I've lowered it.

I just lowered mine, one inch in front and two in rear. It changed my handleling alot. It now turns in to corners alot faster, but seems less stable at high speed, however the lower center of gravity does give me more confidence and the front tire stays better planted under hard acceleration. I have to get my kickstand altered asap before she takes a fall! I'm not an aggressive rider so i dont think the change in handleing will affect my riding too much, as i have yet to drag a peg since lowered. But a steering stabilizer would be a good investment for anyone that plans to lower bike like i have.

I just lowered mine, one inch in front and two in rear. It changed my handleling alot. It now turns in to corners alot faster, but seems less stable at high speed, however the lower center of gravity does give me more confidence and the front tire stays better planted under hard acceleration. I have to get my kickstand altered asap before she takes a fall! I'm not an aggressive rider so i dont think the change in handleing will affect my riding too much, as i have yet to drag a peg since lowered. But a steering stabilizer would be a good investment for anyone that plans to lower bike like i have.

Pull your front up a quarter to a half inch it'll handel better.

Lowering a Gen 1 - side stands and rear shocks

I'm "leg-length" challenged and am trying to set up my Gen 1 so I'm more comfortable. The front is dropped 1" in the trees (back is stock), and I shaved the seat almost 1". After all that, I'm on tiptoes w/ good boots. I'm a pretty conservative rider. My questions:
If I install a lowering link w/ a 1" drop, how much would I have to shorten the side stand? How much with a 2" drop"?
Assuming the current rear suspension setting is bone-stock, what should it be for my weight and conservative riding style?

Thanks to the more experienced riders among us for sharing your experience and insight!

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but why not just get boots with thicker soles. I suggested this to another rider,a very short one. He went out and did just that, and problem solved. Nice thing is that the boots don't adversly affect the handling of the bike in any way. As long as you don't get ones with a big bulky toe, they are no problem riding in. After all, how much time do you spend with your feet on the ground? Remember the "K.I.S.S. rule, Keep it simple stupid. Speaking of KISS, thier boots might work.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]
Just a thought.

To quote you, "I'm not trying to be a smart ass" either. Have you tried to fit your toe under the shifter or really feel the brake with thick-soled boots? I didn't think so. Next, think about how many times you work the gears (lots) vs. the number of times you put your foot down. Thick boots would cater to less than 10% of your actions. Short riders and looking for solutions for stoplights and gravel lots from similar riders, not 6'3" riders.

question

To quote you, "I'm not trying to be a smart ass" either. Have you tried to fit your toe under the shifter or really feel the brake with thick-soled boots? I didn't think so. Next, think about how many times you work the gears (lots) vs. the number of times you put your foot down. Thick boots would cater to less than 10% of your actions. Short riders and looking for solutions for stoplights and gravel lots from similar riders, not 6'3" riders.

As to your question; Yes I have tried to fit my toe under the shifter with thick soled, steel toed boots and yes it is awkward. Like anything else you can get used to it. I have myself, and seen much shorter riders ride very tall dirt bikes as well, where being flat footed when stopped is not possible. We don't fall over everytime we stop, and we ride in gravel and dirt. When someone chooses a machine for everyday use these are things that should be taken into consideration as to whether a bike is suitable.
Having said that, To each their own and if lowering the suspension works for you and does not make the bike a handling problem (for you) then great. Not being an engineer (like the Yamaha crew that designed the bike) I am hesitant to mess with the bikes geometry,myself ("for less than 10% of your actions") .
Just for clarity I am 5' 11" not 6' 3". and it's a person's inseam that would affect reaching the ground flat footed.
If my attempt at light hearted humour offended you, then I appologise.

Last edited:
FZ1s are great bikes that suit many different styles

What's really cool is that we can agree that this is a very personal and subjective subject. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that my 27" inseam & 1963 birthday may cause me to look for a different riding experience than you might. We are all just trying to improve our own riding experience here and help each other when we can. Bottom line is we all agree that FZ1s are really great bikes!!

I would be honored to ride with anyone here.

Back