Knight Design 1-inch Lowering Footpegs

Installed these Knight Design 1-inch Lowering Footpegs yesterday. I opted for the unfinished aluminum with their "Quadtrax" grip.

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4074-comparison-height.jpg

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4075-comparison-width.jpg

Installation was a chore only because I had to grind off the riveted ends of the stock pins with my Dremel. After that, installation is a piece of cake.

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4076-breaking-out-little-big-guns.jpg

Here's the Dremel aftermath of cutting away the riveted end of the pin. That's a washer beneath, so no fear of scratching the mount.

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4077-dremel-aftermath-cut-away-riveted-end-pin-s-washer-beneath-so-no-fear-scratching-mount.jpg

However, I chose to tighten up the new pins that are designed to be secured with some supplied cotter pins. I MacGyvered some oversized nuts I found in my U-BoJ™ (Universal Box of Junk) to hug the cotters and keep these new pins from rattling. Note that these nuts are NOT threaded to the new pins—they simply happened to slide on snug so I used them. Worked out great.

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4078-i-didn-t-want-pins-rattle-so-i-dremeled-couple-oversized-nuts-i-found-my-u-boj-universal-box-junk-hug-cotter-pins-keep-everything-snug.jpg

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4079-perfect-fit-my-bodge-job-then-i-curled-cotter-lock-all-up.jpg

Here's the left side installed. Had to lower the shifter quite a bit to fit my foot. I think the non-anodized shine echoes the other stainless steel parts elsewhere on the engine and frame. The grip pattern feels great, no slipping, and looks pretty mean.

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4080-knight-design-1-inch-lowering-peg-installed-uncoated-aluminum-finish-their-quadtrax-grip-i-think-non-anodized-shine-echoes-other-stainless-steel-parts-elsewhere-engine-frame.jpg

silas-albums-knight-design-footpegs-picture4082-knight-design-1-inch-lowering-peg-installed-uncoated-aluminum-finish-their-quadtrax-grip-i-think-non-anodized-shine-echoes-other-stainless-steel-parts-elsewhere-engine-frame-grip-pattern-feels-great-no-slipping-looks-pretty-mean.jpg

I called Knight Design to order, and got to chat with Alicia about the different finishes. It's great to support folks that know what they're doing, and make a quality product. Highly recommended.

Regarding the test ride, I was just getting used to being so cramped up in the stock riding position that I'm gonna have to put in another couple hundred miles to retrain my muscle memory for the lowered foot placement. I'm already far more comfortable at 6'2".

Another thing to get used to is the width offset due to the peg mount itself not being any lower. I must have been riding with my boot over the peg AND mount to hug the side of the bike with my ankle. Can't do that now, which is a little unnerving. Would have opted for a mod that lowers the entire peg+lever assembly, but wanted this quick fix.

Back