Knocking noise at idle

darkcloud

Hi

Have an 03 Fazer 1000...at idle there is a low down 'knocking noise' from engine..

Have had it in shop for work and asked about it but was told it was nothing (don't think he heard it to be honest..)

Opnions???

While these motors are famous for being a little noisy, it's really hard to decipher what may be your problem without being able to listen to it. Does it go away as the bike warms up? How many miles on the motor? Have you changed the oil regularly? Is the bike run hard (Track Days)? Have you had you valve adjustment yet? There is many questions when it comes to knocking noises. Maybe you can take a short video so we can listen to it first.

While these motors are famous for being a little noisy, it's really hard to decipher what may be your problem without being able to listen to it. Does it go away as the bike warms up? How many miles on the motor? Have you changed the oil regularly? Is the bike run hard (Track Days)? Have you had you valve adjustment yet? There is many questions when it comes to knocking noises. Maybe you can take a short video so we can listen to it first.

No doesnt go away once bike warms up..14k miles on bike..recent oil change..used easily, small commute and a few spins out..no punishment on bike..

I'll try to capture on video this eve and post up ..

No doesnt go away once bike warms up..14k miles on bike..recent oil change..used easily, small commute and a few spins out..no punishment on bike..

I'll try to capture on video this eve and post up ..

Wow, only 14K! It may just be the naturally noisy FZ1 motor and nothing else. Have you had the bike long?, and did it make the noise when you first took ownership or did it just start happening?

Wow, only 14K! It may just be the naturally noisy FZ1 motor and nothing else. Have you had the bike long?, and did it make the noise when you first took ownership or did it just start happening?

Hey
Only have her a couple of months and really only started riding her last few weeks....

Hey
Only have her a couple of months and really only started riding her last few weeks....

Well thats good as maybe your just not used to this particular motor. They can be a bit noisy. When you have time, try and get us some audio posted here. It would be a big help. I, personally, don't think you have a problem, but better to be safe than sorry.

Well thats good as maybe your just not used to this particular motor. They can be a bit noisy. When you have time, try and get us some audio posted here. It would be a big help. I, personally, don't think you have a problem, but better to be safe than sorry.

Will try to get it later and post up .... cheers

DC

If you pull the clutch lever in and the noise stops you will need to get your carbs balanced. I know this sounds crazy but you've got a big engine with little or no flywheel effect to smooth it out (A car engine has a big, heavy flywheel which smooths out the rotation of the engine). If the carbs are out of balance the motor will run very lumpily at tick over and the multi-plate clutch is effectively being stopped and started making it rattle and make a clunking sound.

Hope this makes sense buddy.

AA

If you pull the clutch lever in and the noise stops you will need to get your carbs balanced. I know this sounds crazy but you've got a big engine with little or no flywheel effect to smooth it out (A car engine has a big, heavy flywheel which smooths out the rotation of the engine). If the carbs are out of balance the motor will run very lumpily at tick over and the multi-plate clutch is effectively being stopped and started making it rattle and make a clunking sound.

Hope this makes sense buddy.

AA

This solves my problem...

My clutch lever also has a problem staying out. If I'm riding along and glance down at the side cover where the clutch cable goes in the little lever there will not stay out. So after every shift I push the lever back out. Well it only comes in about 1/2 inch at the clutch lever. Before it has pressure so should I just readjust it?

this solves my problem...

My clutch lever also has a problem staying out. If i'm riding along and glance down at the side cover where the clutch cable goes in the little lever there will not stay out. So after every shift i push the lever back out. Well it only comes in about 1/2 inch at the clutch lever. Before it has pressure so should i just readjust it?

yes.............

Back