Lars v's Standard Airbox

The new map had 2-4 % more fuel across the range. I have plotted the maps and the differences in excel spreadsheet and created pdf's, and will post up once i convert to an image file.

Here are the spreadsheet files showing the map profiles.

The changes on paper look very minor, however it is suprising how this difference is felt on the road. The standard airbox used a bit more fuel in the map and i will have to wait untill i do a decent ride to determine change to fuel consumption, but it certainly feels 'meatier' with the bike pulling smoother from down low and through the rev range. In 6th gear it will take you from 100km/h (60 miles) to 145km/h (90 miles) in about 2 sec (i.e. counting...one,one thousand...two,one thousand). The induction noise certainly sounds cleaner too, having a nice uniform growl. I found the cut box produced varrying pitches of induction noise and sounded messy (if that makes sense?)

The next trial may be to put the standard velocity stacks back on and see what happens.......this will provide a comparison between the longer after market billet ones and the standard plastic yamaha ones.

It will be interesting to see whether this provides easier tuning to acheive the target AFR and if more or less fuel is required. Ultimately, it will allow me to determine the most efficient set up with respect to tuning, fuel consumption and power output. The open airbox was giving me about 160-180kms (100-110 miles) before the fuel gauge started countdown. These bikes sure like a drink!!

Think I will wait until i purchase an autotune module and data logger to do this.

New Map: Note, the y axis is scale to the power of 10 for clarity e.g. the 40 value should be read as 4%

NewMap_zpsc42d712a.jpg

Old Map:

Oldmap_zpsf740ff38.jpg

Difference log - Amount of additional fuel added to new map: averaging about2%

difference_zps871be3a7.jpg

Last edited:
Just revisiting this thread. I just changed my airbox bottom back to stock and I didn't notice any drop of power at all, especially not in the mid range where I ride the bike every day.

Just like PK001 mentioned above, it felt strong in the midrange and is a bit smoother and quieter too.

Last edited:
Back