Latest rnicky mouse lowside

Agreed, but how is he really crossed up when his body is still hanging off the bike. The dude looks too short to really cause a significant shift in weight by his crossed up approach.

Another point, the inside elbow is bent. The dude that went down was upright and stiff arming the bars. If you think that it works well to take a corner like that go out there and do it yourself and come back with results. I've tried both ways and will tell you that the stiff arm approach is a lot more effort and less effective because the bike dives deeper into a lean angle that will reduce the amount of grip. .

Have another look at the photo, his lower body is hanging off the bike while his upper body is indeed crossed up and leaning away from the corner.

And I'm not talking about stiff arming it,
that works for no one.

Sent from my SG3

Last edited:
Have another look at the photo, his lower body is hanging off the bike while his upper body is indeed crossed up and leaning away from the corner.

And I'm not talking about stiff arming it,
that works for no one.

Sent from my SG3

I see that. I'm just saying when they teach crossed up in the class room, the bike is stiff armed over and the guys butt is still in the center of the bike while leaning straight up.

The picture the guy "skip bayliss" is obviously leaned over the inside of the bike and that the moment the picture is snapped he was leaning back in toward the bike to appear crossed up.

The dude that crashed in the rnickeymouse video was sitting up straight, stiff armed the inside bar and didn't counter steer. Too much lean angle, no traction, fail on the Snake

we don't know how long this guy was riding either. the culprit could very well be cold tires. he had to push it a little harder at the point where he crashed because the turn has a decreasing radius. maybe the input was too much because the tires weren't warm yet.

if he were hanging off the bike a little more, maybe he would have made it through the turn. maybe not. regardless, there are other more important factors in play in this crash. something happened with traction well before he hit the limit.

we don't know how long this guy was riding either. the culprit could very well be cold tires. he had to push it a little harder at the point where he crashed because the turn has a decreasing radius. maybe the input was too much because the tires weren't warm yet.

if he were hanging off the bike a little more, maybe he would have made it through the turn. maybe not. regardless, there are other more important factors in play in this crash. something happened with traction well before he hit the limit.

I've watched almost all of rnickeymouse crash videos. I think that punt in the road said is about 4 or 5 miles in. probably not cold tires. it is a sight decreasing radius, there is a sought change in thecalevel of the road surface.

almost all the riders that ride the snake regular point to body position

Learn to ride on the dirt and you will react to things going wrong way faster.

I think starting in the dirt has been one of the best things for me. I have gotten crossed up before and pulled out of it with no issues because I reacted naturally to it like I learned when riding a dirt bike. When on the dirt the bike move so much more underneath you and your body just naturally adapts to it.

I still think this particular video the guy was going to slow for how far he was leaning.

That's "The Corner" on Muholland drive.

1) It is a flithy corner. Everyone crashes there and pulls dirt into the corner. The canyon wall slopes toward the corner allowing dust and stuff to settle.

2) It is a decreasing radius corner. Riders come in too hot, leaned over, touch the front brake, go down. Most riders don't late apex the corner and get sucked in.

There are several racers sayings that apply; "Go slow to go fast." Also, "Go slow in the slow parts, and fast in the fast parts."

There's some great videos of both bikes and crash losing it here.

Classic pic of the crossed up style of Troy Bayliss.

All I'm saying is you don't have to have text book form to be fast.

troy-bayliss-sparks-wallpaper-281208-1280_zps899dc7ac.jpg

Correct! Crossed up has nothing to do with it. People raced for years crossed up and people didn't fall down. In fact that was correct form at the time.

Your's truly in 1988. I was on it then! But that is how the best rode, Rainey, Schwantz, etc.

View attachment 13134

Wayne Rainey

View attachment 13135

That's "The Corner" on Muholland drive.

1) It is a flithy corner. Everyone crashes there and pulls dirt into the corner. The canyon wall slopes toward the corner allowing dust and stuff to settle.

Have you seen the videos when they pull out the brooms and clean it off. I'm sure it gets some crap on the road but from what I've seen they do some motorcyclist sponsored road maintenace.

Correct! Crossed up has nothing to do with it. People raced for years crossed up and people didn't fall down. In fact that was correct form at the time.

Your's truly in 1988. I was on it then! But that is how the best rode, Rainey, Schwantz, etc.

View attachment 13134

That is so awesome.

Have you seen the videos when they pull out the brooms and clean it off. I'm sure it gets some crap on the road but from what I've seen they do some motorcyclist sponsored road maintenace.

A simple sweep of a broom won't sufficiently clean the embedded dust and dirt, it's still in the crevices and as it builds up and gets hard, it just gets slipperier. The whole setup of the road, the surface, the camber, the radius of the curves, surface temperature, the entrance view the rider has coming into the curve, and of course the skill of the rider, all play a part in why riders tend to crash there. We can't sit at home, look at videos, and accurately critique why a rider goes down.

The picture the guy "skip bayliss" is obviously leaned over the inside of the bike and that the moment the picture is snapped he was leaning back in toward the bike to appear crossed up.

<SNIP>

Nope. That's just the riding style of "Troy" Bayliss.
He rides crossed up all the time and still won 2 WSBK Championships.

Sent from my SG3

I've watched almost all of rnickeymouse crash videos. I think that punt in the road said is about 4 or 5 miles in. probably not cold tires. it is a sight decreasing radius, there is a sought change in thecalevel of the road surface.

almost all the riders that ride the snake regular point to body position

ya, but not everybody rides straight through. often, when one is riding with friends, it is normal to stop at random points to stretch, talk, enjoy the scenery, etc. just because a road is so many miles long doesn't mean the tires are warm. :nerd: he had a ways to go before he hit the end of his tires. my bet says bad (cold or old) tires or bad road surface.

A simple sweep of a broom won't sufficiently clean the embedded dust and dirt, it's still in the crevices and as it builds up and gets hard, it just gets slipperier. The whole setup of the road, the surface, the camber, the radius of the curves, surface temperature, the entrance view the rider has coming into the curve, and of course the skill of the rider, all play a part in why riders tend to crash there. We can't sit at home, look at videos, and accurately critique why a rider goes down.

good point, I'm going there the first week of april I'll be sure to post or if reallylucky I'll make it up without crashing

That is so awesome.

Thank you Sir.

I've not ridden Muholland in about 25 years. I remember it being very tight, very dirty, and bits of plastic body work along the sides of the road.

Look at the video of all the cars spinning there. There has to be a ton of dirt and dust there. A few strokes of a broom doesn't do much. Unlike a track there isn't a nice layer of rubber that builds up during the day.

During a track day you can feel a track "come in" session after session. In the morning a track is considered "green" and you ride at a mellow pace until you come in, and the track comes in.

Back