License plate lighting and fuse block

Chandler

Hello,

I purchased my FZ1 II with a fender eliminator kit that came with three little LEDs to light the license plate up - it flickers on and off when the bike it on. I originally thought it was just dead all together but now I have some hope thinking it was a poor splicing job.

I am getting ready to install a 6 gang fluse block as well as a relay to install a 12 V outlet, heated grips, hard wired GPS charger, etc.

Ideally I suppose I would tap into the ignition wire, but I don't want to damage it of course. I figured the safest would be the license plate light.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any picture to give me a jump start? As of right now I am not entirely sure where the splice is even located (I have only removed the rear sear not unbolted anything.

One more separate question - the front turn signals stay lit up and flash when I hit the blinker. My rear ones only flash when I hit the blinker. It seems normal enough to me, but I wouldn't mind more "running lights".

Are the lights supposed to remain off?
Can I change this fairly easy? - Just change out the relay, or the way the wires come into it rather?

Thanks

wow ok chandler a bunch of questions I am going to try answer them but its too cold in my garage at the moment so you will have to rely on my memory.

Lets start with the easy one, the front turn signals are supposed to light up both left and right with key on, these are your running lights. The front turn signals have 3 wires, ground, running lights and turn signal. The rear turn signals are not wired for running lights they only have 2 wires ground and turn signal.

So were did the 3rd wire go for running lights at the rear well it went to the license plate light, under or near the tilt angle switch you will find 2 bullet type connectors. One blue wire and the other black I think, the blue wire you guessed it is the same as the running lights and actually wired through the front right turn signal running light circuit. You can use these 2 wires for your license plate light and other accessories.
If you want to split the load on the other side of the tilt angle switch the park brake and tail light circuit has another blue wire that runs the rear light at key on and is wired through the left front turn signal running light circuit. Both these circuits and the turn signals and some other accessories are fused through a 20 amp fuse.

Hope this helps a little

I figured it all out. I had an LED board issue so I replaced the led light and just 3m taped and super glued the new light on. I tested it with a multi meter before purchasing the light ( after figuring out how to take the rear apart ).

Thanks for the information though!

Back