Lightly Rear-Ended, What damage to look for?

As it says in the title, I was lightly rear ended on my way home yesterday. It was from a light that had just turned green. Apparently I wasn't accelerating quick enough for the person behind me and she hit me....I thought my relatively new tyre unbeaded or blew but no...I was hit. The number plate was bent under, there was a paint mark on my tyre in the centre and maybe it's either my neglegence on a new chain or the shunt from behind loosened my chain. Not sure, however I'm going to talk to insurance and let them know I want the brakes, wheels, suspension looked at and everything re aligned/ tightened. Is there anything else I should look for? I was concerned maybe there was some stress put on the rear axle? orr...
Well thanks for any help:sport12:

I wouldn't worry so much about the rear axle as I would about the swingarm bushings and bearings. I think your rear tire would soak up alot of the impact beofre stressing the axle itself. I hope you at least traded information, or made a police report so that her insurance covers you for any repairs. Rear ended is rear ended. The person that is in the back is almost always held accountable, at least here in NY. I would also check that your rear wheel isn't bent or out of round.

Thanks for the reply and info. I did swap info and already informed Progressive of the incident. Getting contact tomorrow to have everything looked at. I'm just going to ask them to have everything checked at a shop to make sure it's all to spec to prevent future issue. I'm not touching the chain tension or alignment myself until they can snag a peek. Man I wish that would've been in my wrangler...I took a 40 mph rear end with out even a budge thanks to the rear mounted tyre and extended trailer hitch....too bad we can't have that sort of bumper protection on our bikes.

By the way I really dig that older yzf1 you've got. I've been in the market looking for the fzr600 from the early 90's. Just something about those dual round eyes and the ram air.

By the way I really dig that older yzf1 you've got. I've been in the market looking for the fzr600 from the early 90's. Just something about those dual round eyes and the ram air.

Thanks Stefan! Yep, I love my YZF. We now have 3 members, including myself with the same bike. They are a treat to ride and really comfortable for a "sportbike". I'm 50 years old and can easily ride most of the day. My rebuild thread on the YZF can be found by clicking here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/13576-official-yzf-makeover-thread.html

Let us know what happens with your bike and what they find. Glad your okay and that the damage will be covered.:sport12:

you wanna make sure it didnt bend the swing arm at all or frame or even the wheel, even something that small will tweak it enough that you start finding lefts are easier than rights etc. bike needs a full once over

I would make sure you get the insurance adjuster to agree upon bringing the bike to a good bike shop so you get a good second opinion. I have found adjusters are spot on for car stuff, I have never had to deal with one for the motocycle though. I would hope they know as much about bikes as they do cars, but I doubt there are many motocycle claims that do not involve a full replacement.

Back