Looking for a modulating LED brake light kit

Just ordered the same integrated LED brake/tail/turn lights yesterday. The newest version has a brake alert system in place. It flashes three times red before going to solid brake lights when brake is applied. Look for venders on ebay for newest version and you can also order clear vs smoked lens... I also ordered the Watsen LED front turn signals...

I'm thinking this is the way to go. The description of the integrated light that I linked in the first post warns (Edit: the ones on ebay) that the LED lights arent as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs... Anyone know if THESE are a brighter than stock? These with the BackOFF box should be pretty cheap actually.

Last edited:
Have you looked at MotoDynamic.com? They may have what you want.

Yeah, thats pretty much the same as what I had in the original link. Unfortunately it doesnt have the modulating brake light which I'm more interested in. I think I'll just replace the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and get that BackOFF box...

What do mean by modulating brake light? The one from Motodynamics flashes 3 times when you hit the brakes. I'd like to get rid of my rear blinkers.

I hear you. I commute to downtown Charlotte everyday and I want to be seen too. I have couple of ways for people notice me when I use my brakes and turn signals. I have Hyper-lite running/brake lights U32 kit and AdMore Lighting mini light bar. Check out the videos of the mini light bar since it has blinkers built into it. Not to mention I ride with Givi V46 top case that has a brake light setup. If you want to be seen when applying the brakes you will be hard pressed to find anything that works better than Hyper-lite.

Yeah, thats pretty much the same as what I had in the original link. Unfortunately it doesnt have the modulating brake light which I'm more interested in. I think I'll just replace the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and get that BackOFF box...

I hear you. I commute to downtown Charlotte everyday and I want to be seen too. I have couple of ways for people notice me when I use my brakes and turn signals. I have Hyper-lite running/brake lights U32 kit and AdMore Lighting mini light bar. Check out the videos of the mini light bar since it has blinkers built into it. Not to mention I ride with Givi V46 top case that has a brake light setup. If you want to be seen when applying the brakes you will be hard pressed to find anything that works better than Hyper-lite.

On my FZ6, I had this setup...LED replacement bulb, BackOFF brake light modulator, and HyperLites tucked under the tail. I had the BackOFF that flashed the brake light 5 times rapidly and then went solid and the HyperLites were straight brake lights (no flashing). This proved to be a solid setup. The HyperLites worked flawlessly for 4 years until one row of the LEDs went out. I simply ordered another set (they're cheap at around $55) and replaced the original ones. Oh, and that double-sided tape that comes on the HyperLites is some stupid strong stuff! As I said, they were mounted under the tail and I had a FE kit, so they got hit with all sorts of stuff off the rear tire and never failed me. They're a great product.

I have the backoff as well with my LED tails. I chose not to hook up the integrated tail turn signals as i decided to leave my stock turn signals in place. The back-off has 2 modes of flash patterns for you to chose from.

On my FZ6, I had this setup...LED replacement bulb, BackOFF brake light modulator, and HyperLites tucked under the tail. I had the BackOFF that flashed the brake light 5 times rapidly and then went solid and the HyperLites were straight brake lights (no flashing). This proved to be a solid setup. The HyperLites worked flawlessly for 4 years until one row of the LEDs went out. I simply ordered another set (they're cheap at around $55) and replaced the original ones. Oh, and that double-sided tape that comes on the HyperLites is some stupid strong stuff! As I said, they were mounted under the tail and I had a FE kit, so they got hit with all sorts of stuff off the rear tire and never failed me. They're a great product.

Thanks!
Is there a chart or thread you could point me towards for finding the correct size bulb replacement? 2001 FZ1

I commute in some sketchy traffic sometimes where the freeway comes to an abrupt stop.

Nothing should be ever be abrupt when you're on a bike or in a car. If you have to come to a sudden stop and are worried about the cars behind running into you, you're not looking nearly far enough down the road for the speed you're doing and you're not leaving a large enough gap. The faster you go, the further ahead you have to be looking and the larger the gap you need to leave.

A blinky, flashy brake light and all those other gimmicks will work well to grab attention but they're never a replacement for proper riding habits. Even if you have some huge sign pop out of your bike and wave around saying 'I'M STOPPING', a sudden stop for you will be a sudden stop for the person behind you as well.

Traffic acts like an accordion (concertina effect) and because human reactions are slow... well, you get the picture

Last edited:
Nothing should be ever be abrupt when you're on a bike or in a car. If you have to come to a sudden stop and are worried about the cars behind running into you, you're not looking nearly far enough down the road for the speed you're doing and you're not leaving a large enough gap. The faster you go, the further ahead you have to be looking and the larger the gap you need to leave.

A blinky, flashy brake light and all those other gimmicks will work well to grab attention but they're never a replacement for proper riding habits. Even if you have some huge sign pop out of your bike and wave around saying 'I'M STOPPING', a sudden stop for you will be a sudden stop for the person behind you as well.

Traffic acts like an accordion (concertina effect) and because human reactions are slow... well, you get the picture

Meh, opinions... I wasn't insinuating that I'm a careless rider, I would just like to give warning to the people behind me that traffic is slowing from 80 to null. Which it does if you've commuted the #1 during rush hour. Im more worried about the other people not paying attention, not myself. If someones looking at the radio, on the phone, looking in their mirrors etc... and traffic stops, I want some way of catching their eye before I get sandwiched. I cant control how other people drive... Thanks though.

Meh, opinions... I wasn't insinuating that I'm a careless rider, I would just like to give warning to the people behind me that traffic is slowing from 80 to null. Which it does if you've commuted the #1 during rush hour. Im more worried about the other people not paying attention, not myself. If someones looking at the radio, on the phone, looking in their mirrors etc... and traffic stops, I want some way of catching their eye before I get sandwiched. I cant control how other people drive... Thanks though.

i agree 1000% with your reasoning. being a successful bike commuter and living to tell about it EVERYDAY requires very keen situational awareness. you can absolutely do your best to buffer the traffic flow but getting the attention of the cagers behind you while they are in la-la land and not focusing on their driving is critical.

Thanks though.

Sure, no problem. I was under the impression that you were a new rider and I thought I could pass what little knowledge I have accumulated in my tiny brain to help you along your travels.

Obviously, you're a seasoned veteran so I apologise for derailing your thread as my opinion was not needed

And to add to what Dustin stated.......

Don't expect cars to notice you - at all. I swear I see perhaps some of the worst driving here in Austin and it doesn't matter if you are in a car or on a bike. Some people don't care to look, are texting, and have no skill whatsoever on the road.

I pulled in a to a kolache factory parking lot on a sunday morning, going straight thru the lot per the lane, and a guy with his young son in a big buick came speeding around the corner of the parking lot, screeching the tires and slammed on his breaks just at the last minute. Fortunately, I had pulled up and braked when I heard him and saw out of the corner of my eye something coming around the corner the wrong way. Any lapse of attention and I would have been on his front bumper. Later when I parked, a guy behind me said, "wow, that was really a close call. glad you saw him!"

I ALWAYS expect cage drivers to do the wrong thing. Almost like it gets worse every day. No one learns how to drive anymore and people have stopped caring about basic rules?? Maybe it's just me, but.......damn.

Back