Lowering Links Install Question

I am installing a set of Pro-tek lowering links on the rear of my 2003 FZ1. Can anyone tell me if I have to adjust the spring/dampening with this mod?
Thanks in advance.

I am installing a set of Pro-tek lowering links on the rear of my 2003 FZ1. Can anyone tell me if I have to adjust the spring/dampening with this mod?
Thanks in advance.

As the rear gets lower, the shock preload will need to be increased to restore stiffness. Handling will be degraded. The stock length for the links is 5.625" and 3/8" change in length equals 1" change at the axle. You can raise the forks 3/8" and get better handling as well as a lower ride height. I cut down the seat and wear 1.5" heels instead of lowering the rear.

As the rear gets lower, the shock preload will need to be increased to restore stiffness. Handling will be degraded. The stock length for the links is 5.625" and 3/8" change in length equals 1" change at the axle. You can raise the forks 3/8" and get better handling as well as a lower ride height. I cut down the seat and wear 1.5" heels instead of lowering the rear.

I must ask. Why are you lowering the bike? AND, before you ask, yes I'm short with a 29 inch inseam. I have ridden a Gen1 several times including 2-up and about the only thing that I find difficult is backing up an incline. So, unless you are 1/2 inch shorter than me, I see no reason to lower the bike.

Lowering links

I was considering lowering the bike because it is a little top-heavy two-up. (I an 5'6")
But as I think about it, I ride my Dr 650 with rider up & that is not lowered.
I have only a few hundred miles on the bike since I bought it, but I will wait & get a few more miles on the bike before I radically change the handling.
Thanks for the valuable feedeback!

Hey BigDave that is a good idea wearing Heels but I don't think my feet will fit in my wife's shoes. Besides I don't think she would let me leave the house in them either. :rofl:

Back