Lurker from FZ6 forum

Hello,

I am a long time member of the FZ6 forum and the proud owner of a 2007 FZ6 with over 20,000 km's logged to date. I am thinking of spending the extra few bucks to get a 2008 FZ1 and I was wondering if anyone here has ridden both and can share some feedback.

Many thanks,

Howattzer

Hi
Wish I could help you but I can't. I'm riding a 93 Seca II. I'm definitely getting either a 2007 FZ6 or 2007 FZ1 soon. Both are new. I've been talking numbers with a dealer on the FZ1 so "I thnk" I already made the decision, yet for some reason I'm hesitating.

I know the FZ6 would be a big step up from my bike. Yet considering the money I'll be spending I'm not totally sure it will be worth it for the difference in performance I'll get. So, if I'm going to open the wallet, why not go all the way? Please note I'm saying that not having ridden either.

Just curious, what specifically is making you consider upgrading to a FZ1 after only 20,000 km?

Last edited:
Hi
Wish I could help you but I can't. I'm riding a 93 Seca II. I'm definitely getting either a 2007 FZ6 or 2007 FZ1 soon. Both are new. I've been talking numbers with a dealer on the FZ1 so "I thnk" I already made the decision, yet for some reason I'm hesitating.

I know the FZ6 would be a big step up from my bike. Yet considering the money I'll be spending I'm not totally sure it will be worth it for the difference in performance I'll get. So, if I'm going to open the wallet, why not go all the way? Please note I'm saying that not having ridden either.

Just curious, what specifically is making you consider upgrading to a FZ1 after only 20,000 km?

Thanks for the reply. The FZ6 is a great bike. It can be very fast in the right hands, but you do have to work the gears. Most of the people I ride with have 750's or 1000's and I am right there next to them the entire time.

I am using this summer to determine my preferred riding style (fast, short trips vs. fast, long trips) and my next bike with match that (R6 vs. FZ1). I am leaning towards longer trips and the FZ1 would make an excellent tourer but still have athletic performance in the twisties. Plus, I am getting a little lazy and rolling on the throttle to pass is easier than downshifting twice :) I want the comfort and riding position of my FZ6 but 50% more power. The FZ1 has that.

ive owned a seca II and currently have a fz1 and my wife has the fz6. I would say the seca and the fz6 are pretty similar until the fz6 gets into high rpms. then the fz6 walks away. handling wise meatier tires definitely help but even the fz6 wallows a bit when pushed hard. You really have to work hard to get into real power. very comfortable. Now the fz1...a different story. It still needs to be wound up but much stronger down low comparitively. suspension is 10 times better. much more adjustment. feels more planted also. Over all the fz1 feels much better. i hope this helps and ask any thing else you need to know.

Dude! You're the guy I've been meaning to talk to! You owned a Seca, and have a FZ6 and FZ1. You're validating what I've been thinking. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon but it's late and I have to work tomorrow. I may pull the rigger on the 07 FZ1 this week. What year is yours?
Thanks for posting.
Steve

raven '07 FZ1 and red '07 FZ6. The FZ6 is a great bike dont get me wrong, but if youre looking for a big change the FZ1 is the way to go. especially if you end up wanting to do a lot of upgrades. You might find this interesting, these are the bikes ive owned in order. "82 yamaha seca 650, '89 yamaha FJ1200, '92 yamaha seca II 600, another '82 yamaha seca 650, and now the fz6 and fz1. Let me ask you, what do you use the bike for and how do you usually ride?

raven '07 FZ1 and red '07 FZ6. The FZ6 is a great bike dont get me wrong, but if youre looking for a big change the FZ1 is the way to go. especially if you end up wanting to do a lot of upgrades. You might find this interesting, these are the bikes ive owned in order. "82 yamaha seca 650, '89 yamaha FJ1200, '92 yamaha seca II 600, another '82 yamaha seca 650, and now the fz6 and fz1. Let me ask you, what do you use the bike for and how do you usually ride?

I believe your question was for someone else, but I have the same question so here is my reply:

Thanks for the information. Good to have someone who has ridden both. Right now I use the FZ6 for:
50% is fun, one day rides, usually 300-500 km's, with fast pace and lots of corners,
35% is touring, over night, with clothes in a tank bag, about 1000 km's each trip,
15% is riding to and from work which is only 10 minutes of city traffic.

Thanks,

Howattzer

I just ride for fun whenever I can. Usually 50 to 70 miles after work. Or 100-150 miles on a weekend. I have two little kids so my time is limited. But they’re getting older and my time is slowly starting to free up again. I haven’t done an overnight trip in years. I think that’s going to change soon.

I keep things sensible. Not a wheelie guy. I get on it every once in awhile but not too extreme. You’d rarely see me over 90 mph. I know the FZ1 is more bike than I need but the extra power in low rpms would be a great thing to have. If I get it, that’s my 50th birthday present to myself. Plus the better suspension and “more planted feeling” sounds good too.

On the other FZ1 forum they were talking about frame cracking issues on the 07. This was from guys who swore they weren’t pounding them with wheelies. So I’m a little concerned about that.

Did you install the fuel cut eliminator? Do you think it’s needed? I read somewhere it was mostly a problem on the 06 though.

Thanks for all the advice
Steve

I know some guys at the local Yamaha dealership that have FZ1s and they told me not to freak out about the internet hysteria on the cracked frames.

On the other forum at least one of the cracked frames happened after a crash. and there were only a handful after that. With that said, the welds on my 07 look crappy. I'm about to take a 4,000 mile trip at the end of this month so I guess I'll find out how crappy they are.

It sounds like your riding habits are like mine. I usually go the speed limit, maybe ten over if I find some turns I like. Once a month I find myself riding with the sport bike crowd and that's when I really open the throttle but that's just to keep up.

On my 07 I notice the throttle snatch, but it's more annoying than an issue which needs me to throw money at it, for me. I've read the 06s were bad though.

Overall I'm very pleased with the bike, except for one small problem. The bike is very uncomfortable 2up. My wife is 4'9" under 100lbs, I'm 6'6" and 265 lbs and it just isn't comfortable for either of us. She says her legs will cramp because they are up so high underneath her, and I notice when she's riding that I'm stuck much more forward against the tank with my legs further back also cramping.

Maybe that's just a problem with our extreme sizes though.

Back