Marginally annoying

bikemad61

Changed my oil with some lovely red coloured Castrol, after leaving the bike to drain the old oil for an hour and refilling with aforementioned Castrol did the usual run check and my lovely new oil is black again? Anyone flush their engine? if so how? with what?
I can only assume that enough old oil was still in the engine to be able to colour the new?
Bike was on a rear paddock stand, I think I remember hearing about Gen 1's having to be leaned over a bit to get the last of the old oil out of the pan?
Any helpful advice appreciated, abuse, joking expected:dnftt:! lol

I used to lean mine over a fair amount after letting it drain until it stopped dripping and always got a couple more ounces out. Draining when the bike is still warm helps get more out as well.

I would not worry too much about it. The only way to keep the oil clean is to not use it. You should see how much stays inside the valve covers even when drained for hours or days. Just look at the total capacity vs the amount used for an oil change, usually about 200 ml.

I have found that draining the oil on the side stand gets a good bit more out than when on the center stand. Then I tip it even further over and get another bit out.

Leaning the bike over helps a little. Did you drain the oil with the bike warm? That can make a difference as well if there is thick oil stuck up top... Like the above said, I wouldnt worry about it. If you did a break in, two oil changes after, then made sure you oil was just at level spec.... having only 25k miles you would probably not *see* harm to the engine. I don't advise that by any means, but today's oil is pretty durable. Change the oil so frequently in these bikes is mainly for the clutch plate material that floats around in there at this point. Don't get me wrong - I change my car's oil every 5-6k miles when I could just top it off and go for 10k. I use Mobil 1 in the car too - $60 oil changes...

I did the first 600 mile oil change the other day on my Gen2. Had it on the center stand at first, but brought it down on the side stand to get quite a bit more old oil to drain.

Also noted that having the bike on the side stand allows you to change the filter without dripping a single drop on the exhaust.

I've done the same thing, using the center stand and noticed the oil to be dark and I just remembered not to do it again. I would assume you got most of it on the center and that it will be just fine. Just remember as I did not to do it again. I use the side stand to drain because you get more of the oil out.

Putting a wrench on some things is an issue so I keep it on the center stand. But no oil on the headers is a plus with the side stand...

May just do the oil changes on the side stand in future, sounds like the way to go, Thanks for all the helpful comments.
As for the oil on the headers I usually fashion a foil V shaped funnel to catch any oil and direct it to the tray but that would be less of an issue on the sidestand.

Back