Met a deer on my back road loop this morning!

Doc Samson

Minding my biz at about 60 mph when a young deer decided he did not want me on his road. Weird thing is that he came directly at me from about 5 yards off the side of the road and slammed into the left front side of the bike and my leg. It was a hard hit but the bike stayed stable and I pulled off about 50 yards up the road, only to find that the deer was critically injured. It died while I was calling 911 to report the incident...

IMG_3704.jpg

Any recommendations on where I could find a "naked" headlight? And if the front fender is compatible with Gen 1?

Minding my biz at about 60 mph when a young deer decided he did not want me on his road. Weird thing is that he came directly at me from about 5 yards off the side of the road and slammed into the left front side of the bike and my leg. It was a hard hit but the bike stayed stable and I pulled off about 50 yards up the road, only to find that the deer was critically injured. It died while I was calling 911 to report the incident...

View attachment 28489

Any recommendations on where I could find a "naked" headlight? And if the front fender is compatible with Gen 1?
Sorry about the deer. Glad you're okay. Could have been much worse. Scary stuff.

The UK seems to have the best naked headlight surrounds IMO. I highly doubt a gen 1 fender would fit a usd fork. Sorry about bambi jacking up your day, coulda been way worse though.

Uhhh... so the OEM sites want $450+ EACH for a radiator and a fan!

Rather than go on a profanity laced tirade, I shall simply ask if anyone has a more affordable alternative? I have been to eBay but not impressed with the crusty/dirty and/or sketchy offerings there. Maybe take a chance on this one - https://tinyurl.com/38r3kem4 ?

Uhhh... so the OEM sites want $450+ EACH for a radiator and a fan!

Rather than go on a profanity laced tirade, I shall simply ask if anyone has a more affordable alternative? I have been to eBay but not impressed with the crusty/dirty and/or sketchy offerings there. Maybe take a chance on this one - https://tinyurl.com/38r3kem4 ?
Hey Doc, glad to hear you're ok! That is one of my biggest fears riding. I see newly hit deer almost every time I ride. Really impressed you kept the bike upright!

As far as the radiator, I would be willing to gamble on the one in that link given their feedback.

Man that sucks, glad you didn't go down and need all the personal gear, a tow and a visit to the ER as well.

Yeah, my lower left leg is a bit sore but I think my knee armor helped out a bit there! Definitely could have been worse and happy the bike is still running, minus the rad and headlight... 👍

Last edited:
Back