Mirror shake

Chandler

Hello,

My left side view mirror shakes/ wobbles a bit. I know that the bracket is snug as I thought that was the issue and have the inner fairing off.

I did not know that the mirrors fold in. It appears that the one mirror has more give then the other around the disk piece that allows it to rotate.

Has anyone experienced this or have a remedy? I can't see behind/ beside me when I am moving because of mirror shake.

It can be fixed if you have access to a press or if you never fold it, just shim it. I chose to replace mine as the Emgo replacement mirrors are exact copies at 1/2 the cost of OEM.

I do not fold my mirrors, I did fold them after finding out they could be folded by attempting to take the bike through a door way (into my basement area). I wanted to install my heated grips and fuse block, etc in the "warmth" of my basement versus the garage.

I do not have access to a press per say but I do have a client who fixes and sells electrical motors. I bet they have a press and could do me the favor.

How do you go about putting the mirror in the press? Does the bracket come off? Will it wear out if I press it and the problem come back even if I do not fold the mirrors?

Thanks

I do not fold my mirrors, I did fold them after finding out they could be folded by attempting to take the bike through a door way (into my basement area). I wanted to install my heated grips and fuse block, etc in the "warmth" of my basement versus the garage.

I do not have access to a press per say but I do have a client who fixes and sells electrical motors. I bet they have a press and could do me the favor.

How do you go about putting the mirror in the press? Does the bracket come off? Will it wear out if I press it and the problem come back even if I do not fold the mirrors?

Thanks

The mirror pivots on a hollow pin that is peened. Remove the mirror, the rubber cover from around the pivot and the small plastic oval that give you access to the top of the pivot. It should be obvious once you get to this point. I used a couple deep-well sockets with the press to do this.

same as loosenut ,, used a vice with said sockets ,did this well over a year ago with no issues since and fold them every time i take the bike out to miss the fence

I simply used a hammer and drift to tighten the large rivet in the mirror bracket until there was no more play left.
Probably not advisable to do it this way unless your a bit savvy with the hand tools. I've spent a lifetime in engineering, so not a problem. It is quite easy to do though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Just to bring some freshness to the topic. Today done it like others said with vise / press. Used 2 long sockets. All the shaking and wobble went away. Thanks for the info! Hope to help someone else with this. Easy 10 min job. Just left the test drive.

Back