Mod queries on FZ1 (gen II)

Hi all
New to forum,recently bought 07 FZ1 (II) have questions
-How much of a difference does it make (power wise) in modding airbox (with BMC filter?Is it worth it?
-same question regarding velocity stacks?
-Does blocking off AIS only apply when running a pipe/system?
-Is there any benefit to changing the EXUP factory unit for the electronic 1?

I have a pc V on bike with otherwise bike is std.

Many thx for any help/advise

Ne quid nimis (nothing in excess) - Latin phrase

The air box mod is good if you have a PCV or Juicebox to add the additional fuel your bike will now want. I have noticed the Graves velocity stacks smooth out the low end to mid range. The AIS is mostly to reduce popping on decel, It doesn't get rid of all of it. (you will still get some if you are heavy handed on the throttle). That is just from my personal experience.

Hi all
-How much of a difference does it make (power wise) in modding airbox (with BMC filter?Is it worth it?
-Does blocking off AIS only apply when running a pipe/system?-Is there any benefit to changing the EXUP factory unit for the electronic 1?

Many thx for any help/advise

Ne quid nimis (nothing in excess) - Latin phrase

No need to do the A.I.S. with the stock exhaust as it muffles the noise almost completely. You really hear the popping if you go with a slip on (how much depends on the slip on).

I can't speak to the air box mod as I still have the stock box with a K&N filter. Butt dyno seemed to notice the combination of a K&N and a slip on.

Hi all
-Does blocking off AIS only apply when running a pipe/system?
-Is there any benefit to changing the EXUP factory unit for the electronic 1?

:welcome: and congrats on the bike!

Airbox, velocity stacks and BMC filter will not really add any power to the bike as a whole. It changes where/when the power is applied. The bike will still be the same top end HP as before. What you will notice is a bit more available power in the meat of the mid-range where we live most of the time. IMHO, it is worth it, especially if you have the PCV and can map the fuel accordingly. If I had one, I would also gut the CAT, lose the O2 sensor and leave my Two Bros intact. I've already removed the AIS because of the popping.

Hope this helps. Your possibilities with the PCV are endless and without modding a lot of these things, you're not able to take full advantage of the potential the FZ1 offers with the Power Commander installed. ;) Go for the gold!! :yes:

Hi zap and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't waste my time doing the airbox mod if you are going to leave the stock exhaust on.

Why open up the intake without also opening up the exhaust?

Both ends need to be opened up together to get the maximum benefit and as you already have the PCV, you can tune it all up easily.

Once you get a slip-on the EXUP cables are removed, it doesn't do much for a GenII, it's mainly to lower noise.

AIS can be blocked off after you put on a slip-on or not. I still haven't blocked my AIS as I reckon it suits the nature of my naked beast.

Last edited:
it also depends on wot stacks you get. if you get longer stacks your will get more bottom end torque, the shorter the stack you will more performance higher in the rev range. all depends on what you want out of your bike hope this helps

Back