Motorcycle economics 101

In '09 there was talk of them needing a bailout.

They wrote off a bunch of dept; eg: hosed creditors, and ratched it up on the franchise owers. In other words, buy repo's and new bikes or lose the franchise.

Then they sold MV Agusta, one year after they bought them, closed Buell, and outsourced a good chunk of production, and sourced parts to China.

Good for the shareholder, sure. "All American" hardly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Um, the debt they wrote off was debt owed to them not debt they owed. I don't understand the point you're trying to make about Buell and MV Agusta. The new CEO came in and decided Harley should not be in the sportbike industry, which proved to be correct. Your post pretty much contains nothing accurate or relavant.

I don't know where Dustin is getting Chain and Sprocket for $150 but I need to learn how to shop better. I went with OEM and it was $245 with my discount (the guy literally pulls up the dealer cost and he helps me out as much as he can to beat the internet sites). Going for aftermarket only would have saved me $20.

You'll have to shop around next time. The last chain & sprocket set I put on was for the 919 and that was $170 by the time I got it home to Canada land. That's for a DID VX chain and JT sprockets. The same quality DID and JT parts for the SV650 were around $120. A cheap commuter like a 250R would be even less, too

Errrr....
[*] have bought tires that run 8,000 - 10,000 miles and yes you can be very safe on such a tire
hehe

Hail, you need to switch tires. I hope to get at least 18,000 miles out of this on my Wing :D

IMG_1037_zpscad36355.jpg

Um, the debt they wrote off was debt owed to them not debt they owed. I don't understand the point you're trying to make about Buell and MV Agusta. The new CEO came in and decided Harley should not be in the sportbike industry, which proved to be correct. Your post pretty much contains nothing accurate or relavant.

In that they funded both brands and cut bait when times got tough? They signed up Erik Buell many years ago, didn't let him build his vision (seriously, no full farings) and dumped him at the most difficult time. With MVA they wanted to move into the high-end sport bike market, then bailed one year later. They sold the brand BACK to the seller for more than they paid for it??? Instead of allowing the brands to develop on their own, and then reaping the rewards, they held them back and bailed, spineless.

At the time I owned a Buell 1125R, a wonderful bike, but HD refused to support it and fix the bugs. I could go on and on but those posts were written many years ago on the Forum, search.

I suggest you go pi$$ up a rope.

BTW...yes they wrote off millions in debpt they had incurred. Joe the Plumber shouldn't buy an HD as he could never pay it back.

It that is the argument, I see your Ninja 250 and raise you a GZ250; 75 to 80 mpg and rock hard tires.

But this is the FZ1 Forum. Comparing an FZ1 to a car is pretty much a draw.

My car is a second hand G37. Even at ~20 mpg it is cheaper to run that a bike.

The consumables on the car last much longer than the bike and are often less expensive; tires, oil, insurance, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Subaru STI, Requires Premium Grade, and get 20mpg on a good day.

I have a FZ1, Requires low octane and gets 44mph on average.

Even with the tire changes more often, and other maintenance things, the bike is waaaaaay cheaper to operate than my car. I do 60-70 miles per day, 5 days a week.

Now compared to an econobox, no, a car might be the better option, but with the bike I get to have performance and be outside in the elements, which in SoCal is a good thing.

In the end each person needs to examine their priorities and make the decision themselves.

Now compared to an econobox, no, a car might be the better option, but with the bike I get to have performance and be outside in the elements, which in SoCal is a good thing.

Economy car vs economy bike and the bike still wins, I think

The FZ1 is very much the Impreza STI of the bike world. Fair comparison. FZ1 wins easily.

Hellgate's G37 is the motorbike equivalent of maybe a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 so his car wins that one

Economy car vs economy bike and the bike still wins, I think

The FZ1 is very much the Impreza STI of the bike world. Fair comparison. FZ1 wins easily.

Hellgate's G37 is the motorbike equivalent of maybe a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 so his car wins that one

Come on now a G37 is japanese and more efficient than an american made car, how bout we compare it to a VFR

Come on now a G37 is japanese and more efficient than an american made car, how bout we compare it to a VFR

It's a premium brand car with sporty pretensions, average performance figures (in it's class) and lots of glitz, glam and gizmos. That defines Infiniti as a brand and I think it fairly sums up the Sportster line as well.

Infiniti also started life as an American only brand, much like Acura. It's also built and designed in America.

I'm not saying anything negative about them; I think it's a fair assessment

Last edited:
I still think that it's pretty much worth it for the fun and joy I get out of my bike. It could be a lot worse, It's pretty much buying into a whole lifestyle and hobby. Now the weekend rides are enjoyable. Save money on fuel, but later on there'll be a lot of maint thta needs to be done too.

It's a premium brand car with sporty pretensions, average performance figures (in it's class) and lots of glitz, glam and gizmos. That defines Infiniti as a brand and I think it fairly sums up the Sportster line as well.

Infiniti also started life as an American only brand, much like Acura. It's also built and designed in America.

My buddy had the ECU Flash, full exhaust/headers and I think something else (ports???), lowered Eibach springs on his G37s coupe and that thing is a monster, most fun I've had driving a car in like 10 years.

I know the 4 door is more of a people mover but that coupe is awesome when done up right.

First things first. Fair does not exist as an adult.

Having purchased a G37s about 5 months ago, I can tell you that I could never compare it to a Harley of any sort. While it is not real sports car, it isn't a turd of a car like the Sportster is as a motorcycle. The Chevy Camaro is much closer IMHO.

I turned the traction control off yesterday to see how well it drifts. Not bad. Not bad at all.

First things first. Fair does not exist as an adult.

Having purchased a G37s about 5 months ago, I can tell you that I could never compare it to a Harley of any sort. While it is not real sports car, it isn't a turd of a car like the Sportster is as a motorcycle. The Chevy Camaro is much closer IMHO.

I turned the traction control off yesterday to see how well it drifts. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Be careful, my buddy smashed up one of his rims drifting his G

I sold a good friend my mom's 2006 Corolla (so much better mileage than my F150), but he would rather ride his 11 year old Volusa from Sacramento to Richmond, CA to teach sailing (no rain) four days a week. My FZ1 is for the FUN. If I wanted to save $$$ I would have bought one of SEVEN rebuilt Ninja 300s at the recycler for $1400 to $2200. My F150 just sits in the driveway, until it rains. After a LONG eight hours of work I cherish that 8 mile ride home on the FZ1. I grin on my face last another two hours.

Back