My First Track Day!

3B43

Well, I did my first track day, at Thunder Hill, and to say I had FUN is an massive understatement! My FZ is stock, other then the Ohlin, Russell Day Long seat, and I replaced the stock pegs w/a set of thinner ones, for more ground clearance. The seat caused a problem with trying to 'lean off' the bike! Dave Moss set up my suspension and told me, 'your gonna have ground clearance problems with this bike' . . . which I did. I ended up dragging the hell out of the exhaust can, and had Moss set up my suspension stiffer and stiffer, in an attempt to get slightly more clearance. I dragged the can really hard, to the point that I had to take it easy, as I didn't want to unload the rear end and . . . . as far as the new pegs, I have to replace them. I ground about 20% of them off . . . at least the left one! I ended up turning lap times in the 2:12 range, which the fast guys said wasn't too bad, for a first timer (and comments from you guys that have run Thunder Hill?). I know I can go much faster, if I just hit my braking points correctly on EVERY TURN on a lap. The 2:12's I was running was with making 1 or 2 'good' turns and screwing the other turns up!

Will I go back? OF COURSE, but . . . it probably won't be w/my FZ. My FZ is set up almost perfectly for sport touring and I don't want to screw that up (I've done 6000 miles of touring since Laguna Seca!). So, I'm looking for a 'track bike' . . . . maybe an older Gixxer 750 or R1.

Well, I did my first track day, at Thunder Hill, and to say I had FUN is an massive understatement! My FZ is stock, other then the Ohlin, Russell Day Long seat, and I replaced the stock pegs w/a set of thinner ones, for more ground clearance. The seat caused a problem with trying to 'lean off' the bike! Dave Moss set up my suspension and told me, 'your gonna have ground clearance problems with this bike' . . . which I did. I ended up dragging the hell out of the exhaust can, and had Moss set up my suspension stiffer and stiffer, in an attempt to get slightly more clearance. I dragged the can really hard, to the point that I had to take it easy, as I didn't want to unload the rear end and . . . . as far as the new pegs, I have to replace them. I ground about 20% of them off . . . at least the left one! I ended up turning lap times in the 2:12 range, which the fast guys said wasn't too bad, for a first timer (and comments from you guys that have run Thunder Hill?). I know I can go much faster, if I just hit my braking points correctly on EVERY TURN on a lap. The 2:12's I was running was with making 1 or 2 'good' turns and screwing the other turns up!

Will I go back? OF COURSE, but . . . it probably won't be w/my FZ. My FZ is set up almost perfectly for sport touring and I don't want to screw that up (I've done 6000 miles of touring since Laguna Seca!). So, I'm looking for a 'track bike' . . . . maybe an older Gixxer 750 or R1.

Glad to hear you had a good time and all back in one piece. It seems that most guys that try it once always get "hooked" and go back again and again. I have yet to do a track day but if work picks up this year, it will definitely be on my list of things to do next year for sure! Did you happen to get any track day photos???

Yeah, I got some photo's, but the funny thing about the photo's is this: it looks like I'm out for a Sunday afternoon ride!!! Yeah, my peg is flat on the track, grinding away and it looks like I'm going for grocerys!

2 points I forgot to add: on the front straight, my speed'o was saying about 140 before I sat up/tapped the brakes to enter turn 1. Thing is at about 120-125, I could 'feel' the bike lay down . . . just start running out of 'steam'. Like I said, its a STOCK FZ1.

Secondly . . . I've watched Moto GP/WSBK/AMA for decades (since Roberts was dirt tracking and then headed to Europe), and I've been to ' Seca in '80/'81 and this year. I KNOW the guys are 'gods', but after doing a track day . . . these guys are . . . . there are really no words to describe the talent they have!

Awesome. So what's your impression of that track? How did the tires hold up? Any issues going over turn 5 or 9?

I sneaked a peak at your pics and I think they look pretty good. My only small suggestion would be to slide your butt off the seat a little more and get your toes on the pegs (balls of your feet) with your heel turned inwards toward the heel plate. That will set your body in position to get your knee down. That way you can hang off more and use a little less lean angle so you don't drag the hard parts as much...

If you look over on www.bayarearidersforum.com under Moto For Sale, you will usually find quite a few track bikes for sale. Especially now that AFM is winding down...

I've converted my FZ1 to a more track oriented ride and plan to hit the track with it very soon!...

Oh, and 2:12 is a very respectable time. That's a solid B group pace...

The track is awesome and I'll be back. Two of the fast guys I was with told me to 'slide off/hang a knee', but w/the custom seat, I had to stand up a few inches, slide over that way, then sit back down . . . not as easy as it sounds!

Turn 5a: the first several (10+) times through this corner, I screwed it up. So I 'rode through it', found my aiming point, then I felt pretty good. 5b was a pain, as there's a bump 1/2 through, which really caused my exhaust can to hit hard. I ended up taking that turn 1/2 way out, as the bump isn't nearly as bad.

Turn 9: geez . . . the exit was a KILLER! I didn't have that big a problem on entry, but managed to screw the exit up almost everytime! The turn 'appears' (at least to me) to lead much farther right then it actually does . . . so numerous times I was pointed out into the 'dirt' and had to haul it back. I finally felt OK about it, but never felt comfortable on exit. Kind'a the same way I felt exiting turn 2 and heading to 3 . . . . to me anyways, 3 always looks like its farther LEFT then it actually is and I ended up going off into the desert on two occasions . . . at about 60+! Just let the bike slow down and headed for the front straight.

Yeah, I had 'favorite' turns (2,8,10, & 13/14) and did 95% of my passing on the brakes coming off the back straight into 13. Now, just have to find a solid Gixxer 750/1000 or R1 for next seasons 'track days'.

With some more time on the track and getting comfortable w/my braking points (braking's my strong suit, quite frankly), I think I could easily drop into the low 2 minute times . . . . next year will tell, won't it?

Heh, JBoat . . . thanks for your post and I'm checking out the site for any used bikes. Where did you see my pics at?

I'll PM you the link and you can decide for yourself if you want to paste it here.

I say Post up and show off those pics. Some of them are really good!...

Congrats on the track day. My FZ1 is my dedicated track bike and there are some things you can do for more clearance.

Lose the center stand, if you haven't already. Curb feelers off the pegs. Mine has a GYRT can so it doesn't scrape at all. I've also angled the front frame sliders so they don't catch.

But the big thing is to get off the bike...a lot. The FZ1 is good for this because it's heavy and stable and you can crawl all over it without spooking the chassis. You can easily keep pace with all but the fastest R1s and GSXRs.

Oh, gearing. For technical tracks, which Thunderhill appears to be, 15/45 is a good combination. A smaller track with shorter straights can benefit from 15/46 or 47.

I did change the pegs, putting on some thin ones w/out feelers. The pegs are about .750" in diameter and shorter then the stock ones . . . and I ground about 20% of the left one off! Nothing I can do about the left side, as I was dragging the exhaust can! Yeah, I can change the can, but I don't want to do a bunch of 'stuff' to the bike for the 'track'. My changes have set the bike up almost 'perfectly' for sport touring. On my last big trip, last month, I did 420+/day for 7 days, w/the ONLY complaint being my soft bags. So, the FZ will stay in 'sport touring' mode and I'm scoping the sites looking for a 'track bike'. I'm not in a hurry for finding one, looking to buy one in Dec/Jan. What bike? Been told to find a 600, maybe a Gixxer 750, set up for the track.

Sounds awesome! :+1: Getting off the seat is a mental challenge - it seems like a loss of control in MY mind - but then, it becomes a much more controlling move - getting center-of-gravity off to actually control the bike better! Less lean angle of the bike, and more of the body, less metal hitting the pavement.

Hitting the pegs continues to freak me out - how do you get used to it?

I did change the pegs, putting on some thin ones w/out feelers. The pegs are about .750" in diameter and shorter then the stock ones . . . and I ground about 20% of the left one off! Nothing I can do about the left side, as I was dragging the exhaust can! Yeah, I can change the can, but I don't want to do a bunch of 'stuff' to the bike for the 'track'. My changes have set the bike up almost 'perfectly' for sport touring. On my last big trip, last month, I did 420+/day for 7 days, w/the ONLY complaint being my soft bags. So, the FZ will stay in 'sport touring' mode and I'm scoping the sites looking for a 'track bike'. I'm not in a hurry for finding one, looking to buy one in Dec/Jan. What bike? Been told to find a 600, maybe a Gixxer 750, set up for the track.

I'm about to cease and desist spending on my FZ1 for the track, too. But it sure does well. I have a CBR600 that also goes on the track, but I prefer the Fizzer. My times on it are about three to five seconds better.

On a big track with long straights, a 600 gets hammered by the liter bikes. I don't mind being stuffed, but I don't want to be collected at the braking marker by someone who's more throttle hungry than skilled. It happens too often. With the FZ1, I can hold them off.

Frankly, I'd go for a liter bike or maybe the 750. Although the middleweights force you to rely on corner entry skill. Not a bad thing.

Hangin Off wasn't a problem . . . the problem was hangin off and then sliding over to the OTHER side to hang off the other way! I set up for turn 2, hung my ass off and got low w/out an issue! BUT accelerating out of turn 2 and getting up/moving over/sitting down again was an issue! Like I said . . . the way my FZ is set up, its the 'perfect' sport-touring bike. Put Givi V35's on it . . . . .

Grinding the pegs . . . I got use too & embraced! Turn 2 was where I ground it the most and I got to the point when the peg touched, I accelerated and leaned it more! Relax/'feel' the bike talking to you . . . . . .

Hangin Off wasn't a problem . . . the problem was hangin off and then sliding over to the OTHER side to hang off the other way! I set up for turn 2, hung my ass off and got low w/out an issue! BUT accelerating out of turn 2 and getting up/moving over/sitting down again was an issue! Like I said . . . the way my FZ is set up, its the 'perfect' sport-touring bike. Put Givi V35's on it . . . . .

Grinding the pegs . . . I got use too & embraced! Turn 2 was where I ground it the most and I got to the point when the peg touched, I accelerated and leaned it more! Relax/'feel' the bike talking to you . . . . . .

Same here - my seat is stock, so it's a lift first to move off one side to the other. A nice rounded seat would help, I would think. But every time a peg touches, I just instinctively let off the throttle... guess I need to practice scraping without worrying!

When Dave Moss first played w/my suspension, he looked at me and said, 'I hope your not gonna turn this into a track bike?' He went on to say that the bike is a GREAT bike, but not for the track . . . gonna spend too much $$$ to make it track ready.

Quite frankly, after looking at various sites, I don't care what I buy as a track bike. The advice I'm getting is for a 600, but I had NO issue w/the FZ at the track . . . I ain't racing the thing . . . I'm having FUN and going fast! If I find something set up like I want (read suspension), I don't care what it is, but it seems that the 1000's have more suspension 'stuff' (Ohlin's) then 600's, by a wide margin.

Back