Need help removing carburetors

Hey guys. I'm attempting to remove my carbs, which is a bit more technical then anything I've done before on any engine. Following the manual I've loosened the rings from the air filter and to the intake manifold. The next step says to "remove carburetors"... yea ok. I have no room to move them at all. They are still connected to the air filter and the manifold. What am I missing? How do I remove them? I've included a picture of how it sits at the moment.

I want to clean the carbs out and replace the joints to the intake manifold as they are cracked.

Did you disconnect the throttle cables and coolant hoses as well? I know those things aren't holding them on, but need to come off as well. Try and remove the airbox and then move the carbs up and down to break them free. Might take some effort as the rubber boots are probably really stuck on there after all these years...

If I remember correctly, with the tank off, you will see a "strap" with a bolt holding it. Loosen the bolt and it will allow you to "slide" the airbox assembly back towards the rear of the bike just enough to give you sufficient room to remove the bank of carbs.

There are three bolts. One on the top and two on the side. That will allow you to slide the airbox back to have enough room to pull back on the carbs and remove from the rubber boots. You'll want to remove the tank so you can better leverage when removing.

Hopefully you have a small dental like pic to disconnect the throttle cables and you'll also have some overflow tubes connected to either side that'll have to be disconnected from the Carb body as well. You'll get about 1/2 out (left hand side) before you can disconnect the cables.

Reverse process, but get the carbs seated in the boots before placing airbox on the back. Also being sure to connect overflow and throttle cables.

Good luck!

Yamaha does a real job on the way they jam the cars in between the intake rubber between the head and carbs and the carbs and the air box. I've found getting as much stuff out of the way, as in cables, clamps, hoses, etc. before even starting to pull the carbs off is a good start. Loosen the bolts holding the airbox because you'll have to push it back and or down to get enough room to allow the carbs to move back away from the intake boots on the head. Finally, you'll need to use some force because they aren't going to just fall off. When reassembleing the situation, use some WD-40 or similar lubricant to make it easier to get the rubber parts back on the carbs

Pull the ex-up cables out on the right side. This will allow the air box to go all the way back, then lock it in place with the mounting bolt at the top of the air box. Spray WD-40 on the rubber parts to ease removal. Disconnect the cables when the carbs are half way out. The key is getting the air box all the way back against the frame. I bought some long screw drivers and a extra long paire og long nose pliers from Harbor Freight. These are really needed to remove clamps and hoses. Good luck.

Use the link above, I did my today too... Getting the airbox all the way back and pull it out to the left side of the bike. it was very tight. the pictures really helped me today to see how things connect. Putting it back in should be fun too. I have a habit of forgetting one little thing and need to do a retake. WD40 is a good idea and would have helped.. very tight..
Fun winter upgrades :beer: Good Luck

Back