New FZ1 Owner From Center Of Cali

I just bought an 09 FZ1 in late September. I've been hanging around this Forum since early August. I made the decision to go with the 09 from information I read on this forum concerning frame cracks and mapping issues on the earlier Gen II bikes.

I thought I had already posted my formal introduction but apparently not so here it is.

For the last two years I rode an 04 Kawasaki Ninja 500 before making the switch to a liter bike. And what a difference! I was shopping around on Craigslist when I came across an 06 FZ1 that caught my eye. Then I found the 09 with a few mods on it, low miles and a decent price. I never even rode it until I got it home. I am very happy with my decision to go with the FZ1.

I typically perform 100% of my maintenance myself and these forums are a great place to hang out and learn from others. Thanks to all for everything you do to contribute to this community of FZ1 owner/riders.

Last edited:
Welcome. Tons of good stuff here and the peeps are great.

I wonder where central Ca is so I googled it, how's life in North Fork?

North Fork, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, so less than a mile from my house, in the center of Hwy 99 there is a palm tree and a pine tree, this is supposed to represent the North/South center of California. I'm actually in Madera, just North of Fresno up the 99. North Fork is probably just East of us.

Life is good in Madera, lots of vineyards (Wineries, 13 I think) and Almond orchards. I ride mostly just back and forth to work. I felt like a Hobbit leaving the Shire the other day when I rode out to my kids school for an assembly.

Thanks for all the welcomes, this is my only means of social networking since I don't use FB. :shaking head:

Ok, so less than a mile from my house, in the center of Hwy 99 there is a palm tree and a pine tree, this is supposed to represent the North/South center of California. I'm actually in Madera, just North of Fresno up the 99. North Fork is probably just East of us.

Life is good in Madera, lots of vineyards (Wineries, 13 I think) and Almond orchards. I ride mostly just back and forth to work. I felt like a Hobbit leaving the Shire the other day when I rode out to my kids school for an assembly.

Thanks for all the welcomes, this is my only means of social networking since I don't use FB. :shaking head:

Close enough for government work!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, no FB for me either.

Watch out for Dustin he's one bad mofo when it gets cold up there ;)

Can you blame me? Here's the entrance to my favourite road as of this morning

201312041000.jpg

My last bike was a Ninja 500R and I now ride an 09' FZ1 too, what a coincidence. The FI, brakes, suspension and engine are generations ahead on the Yamaha. You could ride the Ninja on top of a tight wire, but I still prefer the FZ1.

My last bike was a Ninja 500R and I now ride an 09' FZ1 too, what a coincidence. The FI, brakes, suspension and engine are generations ahead on the Yamaha. You could ride the Ninja on top of a tight wire, but I still prefer the FZ1.

That is a strange coincidence, were you on the ex-500 forum? It is a great forum for those bikes. I still have mine, I ride it every other week or so just to keep fuel fresh and battery charged until it's sold.

I always thought that bike had plenty of power, now it's like pin the throttle, wait.......wait.......wait....... Ok I guess that was it? SHIFT. Ya know that thing shifts smooth though, you can't beat the way those 500s shift.

I'm a big guy, 6' 5" tall 250#, I just fit soooo much better on the FZ, the bars don't hit my knees.

Back