New guy question

First of all, Hi!

I'm definitely not new to motorcycles, but I'm going to be picking up my first FZ1. Got a couple questions

-First, am I paying the right price?
I'm looking at a 2006 w/ 35k miles. PC3, Yosh slipon, retro kit added, custom done cushy seat, and some usual stuff like Puig screen, frame sliders, shorty levers. Dude is asking $4200. Been well maintained, but valves have never been checked (have any of you found valves to be out of spec on these bikes?).

-2nd, is there an easy way to swap between euro(naked) head light and stock front cowl? I'll be doing a lot of local riding (want to be naked) but also want to put the front cowl back on for touring.

-3rd, how does the longer wheel base effect the ride?
I'm coming from a CBR600RR and lots of track riding/racing. I hear the FZ1 is a bit longer and can be felt in the corners. Is this accurate?

Please, if I'm posting in the wrong forum, inform a mod to move this. I've been searching on the site a little bit and have already answered MANY of my initial questions.

Thanks for reading

The price is OK.. not great, but not very high either. I assume you looked up differences between 06 and other years?

There is no easy way to swap between FZ1N and FZ1S. FZ1N kit is very pricey (something like $700.. if you can find it on sale) and takes a good bit of work to swap.
If you want the nice clean air, simplest way to go is to cut stock screen way down to nothing. Have another screen for touring / cold days (5 minutes to swap).

Longer wheelbase is just one of the factors that make this bike a bit of a pig when it comes to flickability. It also has a fat, low profile rear tire and a relatively relaxed neck rake.
All of this adds up to a stable, relaxed highway riding, but if you want it to be more like a sportbike, there are lots of ways to change things up:
slide fork legs up in the trees, go with a 190/55 rear tire instead of stock 190/50, etc.

Don't get me wrong.. the bike rides well in completely stock form, but it just doesn't want to fall over as easily as the cbr you're currently riding.

Any chance you can get a short test ride to see for yourself?

Forgot to address your valve question. I'm at 28k and have not yet had mine done. From what I've read, many who have had it done were within spec or very close to it.

Test ride might be possible. Seller is a fellow member of my local motorcycle forum. And also a member here and/or FZ1OA.

The fork drop is likely going to happen. I'll have to look up what measurements people are using. I've also seen R1 fork swaps.

No, I do not know the differences between the 2nd gen years other than the jerky throttle response that people seem to cure with the FCE mod.

I didn't know the rear was a 190/50. I would definitely make the next tire change be a 190/55. I'll be doing a lot of twisty back roads and maybe even bring it to the track with me.

Test ride might be possible. Seller is a fellow member of my local motorcycle forum. And also a member here and/or FZ1OA.

The fork drop is likely going to happen. I'll have to look up what measurements people are using. I've also seen R1 fork swaps.

No, I do not know the differences between the 2nd gen years other than the jerky throttle response that people seem to cure with the FCE mod.

I didn't know the rear was a 190/50. I would definitely make the next tire change be a 190/55. I'll be doing a lot of twisty back roads and maybe even bring it to the track with me.

2006 is known to the the harshest, in terms of throttle tip-in. Map was changed for 07. Also, 06 is the only Gen2 with a firmer rear spring. They went with a 50 pound lighter spring for 07 and as far as I know have not changed it since.
My fork legs are up in trees 8mm.. enough to make quite a difference.

I did buy the FZ1 last Saturday. Today will likely be my first ride on it. It's supposed to get up to 70º here in Minnesota today so I took the afternoon off work. If the roads still look too dirty/salty around the area I'll just take out my scooter and putt around all day :)

It is an 06 and did NOT come with an FCE. Previous owner said he really didn't have a problem with the throttle 'snatch' as you call it. I'll be riding it for the first time very soon so I'll be able to tell for myself.

It is an 06 and did NOT come with an FCE. Previous owner said he really didn't have a problem with the throttle 'snatch' as you call it. I'll be riding it for the first time very soon so I'll be able to tell for myself.

It's not the worst fueling in the business. FZ6 is worse. FZ9 is much much worse. Hope you love the bike as much as most of us here do!

I rode for the first time yesterday. About 120 miles. The engine is a vastly different from my CBR600RR. It feels restricted and under powered like it's being held back. I had different expectations for a litre bike. Maybe the "detuned" nature of it is making me feel that way. I might have to look into some engine mods. The bike came with a PowerCommander 3. I should look through that monster of a 'PCIII Map' thread and see what kind of maps people are using out there and what mods they've done.

I also have a triangular Yoshimura slipon (black carbon fiber) that I want to trade for a carbon fiber black series Two Brothers if anyone reading this is interested.

My coworker that has an 09 FZ1 has done some engine mods and full Akrapovic exhaust system with a custom dyno tune and is running about 155 or 156hp. Not sure if 20hp is worth that much money to me though...

If you do the Lars airbox mod, filter and trimmed flies, then load one of the custom maps, the bike turns into a flying machine. (155 ish bhp)
Finish off with ivans reflash, and you basically have then a flat bar equipped R1.

The problem you have with the fz feeling lethargic compared to your old bike is weight. The fz is almost 50 kilos heavier than the RR!!!

They're also very different machines, you can't expect the fz to be a super lightweight track inspired machine, because she aint! You also wouldn't want to go riding the RR long distance either (unless your into the pain game or very young).

Give her a bit of time, you'll soon get used to her.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

If you do the Lars airbox mod, filter and trimmed flies, then load one of the custom maps, the bike turns into a flying machine. (155 ish bhp)
Finish off with ivans reflash, and you basically have then a flat bar equipped R1.

The problem you have with the fz feeling lethargic compared to your old bike is weight. The fz is almost 50 kilos heavier than the RR!!!

They're also very different machines, you can't expect the fz to be a super lightweight track inspired machine, because she aint! You also wouldn't want to go riding the RR long distance either (unless your into the pain game or very young).

Give her a bit of time, you'll soon get used to her.

Totally understand the weight and differences in bikes. But beyond that, there's still an engine feel that's "held back". I don't know how much money those mods are that you listed, but I'd be interested to find out. If you could ballpark it for me that'd be good enough for me right now.

I didn't mention the chassis differences I felt. Talk about relaxed! LoL

Like mentioned earlier in the thread, I want to lower my triples down the forks a little. 8mm is what someone suggested. It was such an obvious difference in front-end handling coming from the RR. I'd still like to have more aggressive handling. Also been considering a 190/55 rear tire with a -1 front sprocket to accommodate it.

Does anyone know of some major weight savings mods? Or is 'heavy' built into this bikes DNA?

Did you run it up past 8000 rpm? Somewhere around 7700 rpm is where the after-burners ignite.

I certainly did! She pulls pretty well up top. I never thought that it would lag as much as it did on the low/mid range. Taking off from a stop, she just seem bogged until getting closer to that 8k range. Good cruising down low at least.

I did do a few 2nd gear clutch up wheelies. It was the first ride and I'm learning the nuances of the bike slowly, so they were nothing impressive. But I still had to try harder than I expected to get it up.

Gearing changes might be an option, but I don't want to go too short on gearing.

Last edited:
I realize I sound like a young punk that wants to ride like a rocket. I know that's not the case. I just want the 'sport' to show through in my 'sport-tourer'

BIO: I'm 30, live in MN and race a Suzuki SV650 in Lightweight class in the CRA club racing organization. I've ridden dirt bikes (never raced) since I was 13. Had a couple old japanese bikes when younger ('72? Honda CB360 and some '82 Kawi 305). Got into sport bikes at 24yo and road very safely and successfully since then. Have been doing track days since '09 and racing since last spring.

Hello :)

I see your expensive mods have already been done (pcIII, can) if your a bit handy with the tools. You can make a set of flies as I did, and installing them is pretty easy as there's a guide on YouTube somewhere by coppadog.

The Lars mod can be done with a dremmel type tool, and the custom map is one I downloaded from the FZ1OA map pack. Freeflow filter is peanuts too.
I've tried about 8 of the maps, and found the whittlebeast lean map simply superb for boosting mid range. Mine pulls pretty strong now from 3500, and top end is bonkers! Put it this way, my fz keeps up with my bro-in-law's tuned mille punching out of the bends, and I just pull away on the straights.

If I dropped a tooth off the front, and ivanised the Ecu, it would be an uncatchable animal!

And dropping the forks through 8mm is a superb mod. Done it to mine, and she steers pretty well, and is a good balance for stability.

In reality I should have got another strertfighterd R1, but there's just something about the fz1 that I just can't part with.

Thanks for the info and first hand experience! I'll be looking into more upgrades as I ride the bike more and get a feel for it. Going to have a couple road trips this year too. At least one of them will be 2-up with the girly. I have an extra rear seat already. I'll be looking into getting it reupholstered soon.

I have an extra rear seat already. I'll be looking into getting it reupholstered soon.
Get the best you can afford. It's not the comfiest of perches fir your beau. Both my sister and wife go in the back of mine, my sis says it's really comfy, and my wife moans so much I turn the intercom off. [emoji2][emoji2]

Back