New owner - tips, tricks, areas of concern

S

Shifty

Hi guys

By all reports these things are fairly unburstable so that's a nice start.

There is a lot of info on here and I am slowly going through it, but would greatly appreciate a list of:

* areas of attention on high an older/mileage bike (01 model with 73k/44mi)
* simple tips/tweaks/changes/upgrades that make a good difference
* bigger modifications that are well worth a look

In particular I see on ebay there is a progressive rate rear spring available, what are people's thoughts on this vs the stock one?

almost anything is better than the rear spring that came stock on the gen1 FZ1. I prefer a spring with a single rate that is correct for my weight and riding style. If your bike is high millage you may want to consider just upgrading the shock. The 2008 and later R6 shocks, and BMW S1000rr shocks are both pretty easy swaps and come with better damping and a higher spring rate.

Hi guys

By all reports these things are fairly unburstable so that's a nice start.

There is a lot of info on here and I am slowly going through it, but would greatly appreciate a list of:

* areas of attention on high an older/mileage bike (01 model with 73k/44mi)
* simple tips/tweaks/changes/upgrades that make a good difference
* bigger modifications that are well worth a look

In particular I see on ebay there is a progressive rate rear spring available, what are people's thoughts on this vs the stock one?

Areas Of Attention:

First off Valve Clearance Inspection (Every 26K Miles)

Check Front And Rear Sprockets for Wear Or Broken Teeth

If replacing the sprockets then replace the chain as well.

Spark Plugs And Wires

Brake, Throttle, and Clutch Cables. Check for wear or fraying. If good condition, then lube all.

EXUP Valve. Remove, Clean, Grease and check end bushings. Lube and adjust EXUP Cables.

Check Fork Seals for Leakage, replace Fork Oil

Oil and Oil Filter, Air Filter, and Gas Filter replacement.

Replace Brake Fluid and Pads if Necessary.

Flush and Replace Coolant.

Check Wheel Bearings For Wear Or Broken Races, replace if necessary.

Synchronize the Carbs.

Check the state of your Battery.

Enjoy the heck out of it!!!

I know this seems like a long list of things to do but you could probably break it into three weekends and accomplish everything with the exception of the Valve Check. This of course is what I would do when I get an older used bike, but thats me. Everyone is different and every bike is in different condition. There may be some things that were done already by the previous owner which would shorten the list, but these are the major things. I miss my 01'. It was probably THE best bike I ever rode. Good luck with yours and remember to post some pics of her when you have time. Welcome!!!

Also if anyone can recommend any sites that cater well to FZ1s, particularly online sellers etc.

almost anything is better than the rear spring that came stock on the gen1 FZ1. I prefer a spring with a single rate that is correct for my weight and riding style. If your bike is high millage you may want to consider just upgrading the shock. The 2008 and later R6 shocks, and BMW S1000rr shocks are both pretty easy swaps and come with better damping and a higher spring rate.

Thanks for the feedback on the stock spring. I'll see how I like it after a few weeks, but sounds like I'll want to replace it fairly soon.

Any links/details on how to adapt the R6 or BMW shock assembly?

Areas Of Attention:

First off Valve Clearance Inspection (Every 26K Miles)
Check Front And Rear Sprockets for Wear Or Broken Teeth
If replacing the sprockets then replace the chain as well.
Spark Plugs And Wires
Brake, Throttle, and Clutch Cables. Check for wear or fraying. If good condition, then lube all.
EXUP Valve. Remove, Clean, Grease and check end bushings. Lube and adjust EXUP Cables.
Check Fork Seals for Leakage, replace Fork Oil
Oil and Oil Filter, Air Filter, and Gas Filter replacement.
Replace Brake Fluid and Pads if Necessary.
Flush and Replace Coolant.
Check Wheel Bearings For Wear Or Broken Races, replace if necessary.
Synchronize the Carbs.
Check the state of your Battery.

That's a good list & most of the general things that need attention.

Anything FZ1-specific that seems to go?

Last edited:
Ok well I've been researching madly and have my head around the R6 shock swap. Given all the positive feedback I decided to jump right in - worked out which shock was the correct one and just bought from ebay. At this rate it will arrive before I even pick up the bike!

Now, to explain to the boss... she doesn't even know I bought the bike yet, much less started modifying it :eek5: ... I'm a bit of a lost cause though, I can't leave well enough alone.

Mmmm, shiny:

$(KGrHqN,!pUE+-opeD,RBQJBK31)UQ~~60_3.JPG

As for what's already done, I think it's standard apart from the ventura rack & a Staintune muffler. That said, the owner said he had a dyno sheet for 150hp at the tyre, so that suggests to me it might have been jetted etc. I guess I'll know when I get my next look at it.

As for what's already done, I think it's standard apart from the ventura rack & a Staintune muffler. That said, the owner said he had a dyno sheet for 150hp at the tyre, so that suggests to me it might have been jetted etc. I guess I'll know when I get my next look at it.

Yeah, I doubt that he can prove 150HP at the rear on this bike unless some MAJOR work was done to it. If it's basically stock you can expect more like 120HP which is not too shabby either. If he can give you a sheet post it here so we can see.

I didn't bother to ask for it - it sounded unrealistically high & I take those things with a grain of salt anyway. The real measure is MPH at the drags as you can't fudge that.

At the end of the day though, it's all about having a bike you enjoy riding and I've had plenty of big hp bikes in the past. Honestly anything that is 100hp+ at the wheel is plenty of power for the street... certainly in Australia where they lock you up for farting.

Hey Shifty,

I've slowly been replacing coolant hoses on my 05 model with 142K. Yes 142000km on clock. Traded it for a rusty fairlane that owed my son 4000. Spent another grand on rgo and brake pads, fork seals. Then blew a hose and got ripped badly by yam dealer who charged 3 hrs labour and wanted 480 for a full hose kit. Got Samcosport hose kit from williams eng near brissie. Mike is professional and efficient (luckily cos they the only distributors in our region). My son and I installed 9 hoses in 4 hours over a week. Could probably do the job in 2 hrs now we know what goes where.

Yeah the other list of maintenance items looks right. My front sprocket was about to fall off. Dicovered it after removing cover to get at ahose.

Good luck. Chris from nsw

Good to hear yours is still going strong with big ks on the clock!

I will check out the coolant hoses and the usual major maintenance itemss and HOPEFULLY be in line for a few years of trouble free motoring! Just gotta leave it alone though, I'm a real tinkerer!

Back