New owner

Sokol

Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2002 fz1000

It has quite a bit of mileage 106000km's but the price was right and the bike runs fairly good.

The previous owner went pretty lax on the service over the last bit. What needs to be done as of right now for a general tune up. I'm completely clueless about these bikes don't mind a newbie.

Oil change
Plugs
Gear oil
Chain checked and cleaned/lubed
Coolant flushed
Brakes were done last year
Tires are good like new
Adjust the carbs? Bike seems to pull fine so will wait until October to do this.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
-Rob

First off, welcome to the forum!

You mention gear oil but this is not the case as it is for something like a Harley or a car. The gears, clutch and engine are all lubricated by the same source. Jug of oil and a filter and that's taken care of.

With 106,000 km, it is advisable to have the valve clearances checked as it has most likely not been done. If you are having this done or planning on doing it yourself, consider also changing the air filter and spark plugs since you're there anyway. You can also have the carbs cleaned if necessary and have them synchronised which is often ignored and is part of maintenance.

People often also ignore suspension service. Something as simple as a fluid change and new seals in the forks and a recharge of the rear shock. It makes a world of difference

Thanks Dustin,

What are a good spark plug you'd suggest? I can buy from any store? Also would you have a part number and lastly what do you mean about re-charging the shock?

I'd recommend an iridium plug solely because it has a much longer service life than a standard plug. NGK part number: CR9EIX

Shocks have the capability to be serviced like you would with a fork. While a fork uses oil for the damping, a shock usually has a mix of gas and oil I believe. Both of these can be changed and 'freshened up'

Shocks have the capability to be serviced like you would with a fork. While a fork uses oil for the damping, a shock usually has a mix of gas and oil I believe. Both of these can be changed and 'freshened up'

Find a shop that specializes in suspension and like Dustin says have front and rear serviced. The front can be done yourself if you are not afraid to do it . Billy has posted a HOW TO on here somewhere on it. The rear is another story, let a pro do it. I had the shock on my bike done and it is a lot bigger than the FZ shock and it was $200. The service tech said the oil was burnt and nasty and the seals were worn out. The new oil and nitrogen charge will make a big difference on a high mile shock. That is assuming that the gen 1 shock is a serviceable unit.

Back