• Bridgestone S20

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Bridgestone 023

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Mich PR2

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Mich PR3

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other (Please make recommendation with rational)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

speeddemon2588

Ok everyone I would like to request the input from my fellow FZ1 riders. I am split between the Bridgestone BT-023 and Michelin Pilot road 2. I will be doing at least 2 track days this season. Any suggestions or other input? Thanks in advance.

Edit: To be clear, I will be using these tires primarily as my daily commuter tires until I can get a track only wheel set (spent most of my budget on proper safety gear). The two track days will be my first. so I will be out there to learn my bike not setting track records. Really any suggestions from past experience with tires would be helpful.

Last edited:
Ok everyone I would like to request the input from my fellow FZ1 riders. I am split between the Bridgestone BT-023 and Michelin Pilot road 2. I will be doing at least 2 track days this season. Any suggestions or other input? Thanks in advance.
Do`nt know anything about the Bridgestones,but would by the Pilot road 3`s over the 2`s,a few mates have the pirrelli angel`s and love them, they like the feel [grip],I might try a set next

why would you want a touring tire with 2 track days planned?

I had bt023's .. you can't exit "wot" out of any decent curve, you can't brake really hard and they don't give enough lean in confidence ...

I recommend bridgestone S20, not exactly a track tire but will be a lot better then 023's

why would you want a touring tire with 2 track days planned?

I had bt023's .. you can't exit "wot" out of any decent curve, you can't brake really hard and they don't give enough lean in confidence ...

I recommend bridgestone S20, not exactly a track tire but will be a lot better then 023's

023's seem to be better for street riding, longer tread life, better rain performance, etc though. I also don't think I will be pushing that hard at the track. These will also be my everyday tires until I can get a set of track wheels. I'll have to give the s20's another look though. What kind of wear are you seeing? How do the s20's perform off the track (i.e. rain and cold)?

Last edited:
023's seem to be better for street riding, longer tread life, better rain performance, etc though. I also don't think I will be pushing that hard at the track. These will also be my everyday tires until I can get a set of track wheels. I'll have to give the s20's another look though. What kind of wear are you seeing? How do the s20's perform off the track (i.e. rain and cold)?

from my last 3 sets of pr 2ct`s I have gotten 8,000-11,000 miles each set:stirpot:

you'll get excellent rain performance and about half the tread life from s20's also

If you want to compare the tires.. s20=micheline's Power Pure while pr2ct compare with bt023's

2 sets of wheels are the best choice , with s20' for street and R10 or D211 for track

:stirpot:

The Pilot Power 3's could be a good choice for what you are talking about too. Not nearly the life of the PR3's but much more reasonable for a track day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYJIFcO2l0]Michelin Pilot Power 3 Motorcycle Tires Video Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/ame]

You might be on the wrong track with this plan. Consider that your going to spend a fair bit of money for those track days, with the intent of having fun in the corners. While the PR2 is a great tire (Ive owned 2 sets), IMHO youd be better served buying a set of stickies just for the track. Its not really that hard to swap out your tires the day before your track day.

Also, running any tire on the street will change its profile to the opposite of what you want on the track.

Track days are expensive. Do'em right or stay home (lol).

Do you have the ability to change the tires yourself? Some clubs have tire changers and in the Bay area there is a DIY shop which provides all tools+professional tire changer.

In this case I would get any touring tire for the commuting and change to the S20 for the track. For a beginning track day rider there is no need for a race compound tire like the R10 or so. For race tires you would need tire warmers as well and must be able to ride fast enough to keep them at temperature, most beginning track day riders lack the ability to do so.

Ah, it would be good to test the S20 about 2 100-200 mile rides before the first track day, so that you get used to them. Each tire type gives different response and needs a bit time to get used to so better doing this off the track and not loosing expensive track time. You anyway will have to get used to the track and the less new things at the same time the better.

I ride fairly aggressive on the street and have yet to do a track day. I am using a Dunlop Q2 front and a Dunlop RoadSmart2 on the rear and it works great for me. I think this combo would serve you well.

If you are just running the entry level class on the trackdays the 023's will be fine. If you really, really start pushing to the faster end of the group you will need to be real smooth with rolling on the gas and getting on and off the brakes but you should be working on that anyway.

Thanks everyone for all the input. After thinking it over I decided to get the new Pilot Power 3's.:wilynily: I know it's a complete 180 from what I originally asked. Revzilla had me out the door for 289. I couldn't resist. I had good luck with my OG pilot powers back in my GSX-R days, we'll see how they work out.

Thanks everyone for all the input. After thinking it over I decided to get the new Pilot Power 3's.:wilynily: I know it's a complete 180 from what I originally asked. Revzilla had me out the door for 289. I couldn't resist. I had good luck with my OG pilot powers back in my GSX-R days, we'll see how they work out.

Please let us know what kind of mileage you get from them. I'm seriously considering giving them a try. I love the PR3's but the PP3's sounds very sticky. Let us know how they are used too, commuting, road and track time. :popcorn:

Michelin PR3's last year

Well I installed a set of Michelin PR3's last year and have since put 10,000 miles on them. The rear tire is pretty much worn in the center and the front seems to still have a little life. I did get some odd wear at about 3-4000 miles that reminded me of cupping on the front tire but it never seemed to affect the performance and now with 10,000 miles on it...the "cupping" is far less noticeable. It may have just because of the unusual tread design. Overall I'm pleased with the PR3's but they are pricey. I paid $400. a set installed and balanced at a local shop and I'm seriously considering trying a less expensive tire this time around.

I'm considering Shinko Verge because some friends have them and believe I could get similar performance and wear as I have with the PR3's but for considerably less cost. I'm not sure about this so I'm into researching tires and reading lots of reviews and considering several different tire manufacturers.

In my experience, the PR2/3's are the best bang for the buck. Quality rubber at a fair price.

If you want to save money, and who doesnt, learn how to mount your own tires. At $30 - $40 per tire, that adds up and keeps you useing the best.

You might be on the wrong track with this plan. Consider that your going to spend a fair bit of money for those track days, with the intent of having fun in the corners. While the PR2 is a great tire (Ive owned 2 sets), IMHO youd be better served buying a set of stickies just for the track. Its not really that hard to swap out your tires the day before your track day.

Also, running any tire on the street will change its profile to the opposite of what you want on the track.

Track days are expensive. Do'em right or stay home (lol).

I think it was this forum but it may have been the Fz8 or Fz6. The individual I think had PR2's and took them to the track. He had an off that was somewhat unexplained. A couple of posters commented on the sport touring tires do not provide the best feedback for the track and in fact give you a greater chance of having an off. I have not gone to the track but I can't wait to get rid of my PR2's and don't feel near as confident weekend carving on them compaired to some S20's. I had a pair of S20's before and loved them, they were super sticky but probably had half the life of the PR2. I would definitely investigate some Hypersport tires if you plan to ever push it or take it to the track. Sport touring tires will give you great life for commuting.

In my experience, the PR2/3's are the best bang for the buck. Quality rubber at a fair price.

If you want to save money, and who doesnt, learn how to mount your own tires. At $30 - $40 per tire, that adds up and keeps you useing the best.

Is there much of a concern of damaging the rim or doing something else not good by doing your own tire swap? I have a second set of rims and would love to be able to swap from my PR2's for a commuter set of rims/tires and over to some either S20's or Pilot Power 3's for weekend carving.

Back