New to forum. Flat wear in middle of tire

This is my first post, and I just bought my 02 FZ1 yesterday. I am an experienced rider, but since I live in the mountains, I have never had a tire develop the flat spot down the center from extended miles on the highway. I bought this bike with obvious flat wear down the center, and I am wondering how hazardous it might be to ride in the mountains with this tire. Since I just bought the bike, I can't afford to buy tires just yet.
Thanks for the advice

BK

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum BK. Maybe you could take a shot of the tire in question. I assume that you've been riding long enough to know that some tires have that triangular pattern to them which can be mistaken for a flat spot. If your sure about it, I would just replace them if your going to be riding the mountain alot. You'll start fresh that way. By the way, my name is Billy and I reside in NY. Welcome again. Maybe you can also post some pics of your bike. Good luck with it. Billy.

Welcome, BK, I am fairly new myself to this forum. I just went thru that on my 07 when I tried to get it safety inspected here in Texas. Would not inspect until I put new tires on. Said the flat spot was a safety issue. Had 8700 miles on the tires. Hope that helps. Good luck and safe riding.

ok, first off, it depends on the nature of the flat spot... if it's from normal everyday commuting wear, it'll be fine as long as 3/32 is showing on the tread depth gauge... If it's a flat-spot from a previous owner who did burnouts, replace it. Easy ways to tell the difference, a burn-out tire will have slight bluing on the edges of the flat spot, from the heat cycles of the tire... also, it's a good bet that it's a burn-out tire if there is liquefied rubber stuck to the undertail tray and the rear shock... that stuff is a PAIN to clean off...

If it's not a burn-out tire, you can run it in the mountains no problem as long as 3/32 is showing. Turn in will feel funny, as the initial effort to get the bike off center will be much greater than normal... also, once the bike is off center, it'll feel fine while there, but may feel odd coming back to upright.... depending on how wide the flat spot is, the bike may feel odd at mid-lean angles, and it might not like following the correct line.... you can "ride through" these problems... and when you get a new tire, it'll feel like a completely different bike...

Bottom line, do what you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable on this tire, your riding will show that... you won't enjoy riding as much as normal... if you can get comfortable with the idea of riding on it, you will be able to adjust to it, and get some decent usage out of it.

Thanks for the advice
It is definately wear from highway commuting... I looked closely at the tire to make sure that it wasn't the victim of the "burnout guy". The only thing I didn't check was tread depth, and I will look for at least 3/32" now.
I rode the bike last night and it felt fine, but I know that it will handle even better with a new set of tires. Now I just need to save up some cash.
Thanks for all the help. I feel much more confident after the input from va rider.

BK

Welcome Kahuna, As long as the center of the tire where you notice it has worn is not below the "safe" tread depth, don't sweat it too much. All modern sport bikes, and even many cruzers have soft compound tires for traction and when more straight miles are accumulated vs miles on the sides of the tires, you're always going to see a slight flattening of the tread surface. You'd pratically have to be on a track all the time to get more, or even wear an the sides of a tire than in the middle. Just imagine on an average ride how much time you spend in a more verticle position vs horizontal. If the flattening really bothers you, try a slightly harder compound, but you'll also sacrifice traction. By the way, should we call you Kamehameha?

Some old-timer told me once that if you stick a penny into the tread and can see the top of Lincoln's head then the tire needs to be replaced.

This is my first post, and I just bought my 02 FZ1 yesterday. I am an experienced rider, but since I live in the mountains, I have never had a tire develop the flat spot down the center from extended miles on the highway. I bought this bike with obvious flat wear down the center, and I am wondering how hazardous it might be to ride in the mountains with this tire. Since I just bought the bike, I can't afford to buy tires just yet.
Thanks for the advice

BK
I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 2008 FZ1 this week. My other bike is a FJR 1300.

I had that same flat spot on a Used 650R Ninja I bought used. I'm an old guy and don't do that much radical leaning, but I found the bike handled squirrely on turns and the center wear looked thin, so I put new tires on it and it rode much better.

I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 2008 FZ1 this week. My other bike is a FJR 1300.

I had that same flat spot on a Used 650R Ninja I bought used. I'm an old guy and don't do that much radical leaning, but I found the bike handled squirrely on turns and the center wear looked thin, so I put new tires on it and it rode much better.
Welcome Franko....in general a golden rule to put new rubbers on a second hand bike....something you need to envisage in your budget when buying a second hand bike.

VA Rider pegged it, but also look for the wear bars. What do you guys thing of the new dual tread compounds? Harder compound in the middle to reduce flat spotting. I have mixed feelings on that. Always settled for a 'sport-touring' tire for mileage and decent stick, always worried a lot about wet grip. too.

I've tried quite a few of the dual compound tires Greybeard..... The Corsa III was a blast, the Pilot Road 2 was good for what it was supposed to do, the Pilot Power 2CT was... okay.... it really didn't impress me... I haven't tried the Dunlop RoadSmart yet... But for the most part, the Dual Compound (or in the case of the BT016 3 Compound) tires are an interesting idea, that's been done really well by some... and others could make improvement on.... There are a few I'm a fan of... others that I won't buy again.

Back