New to me, 2014 FZ1

Hello all!
Just picked up a 2014 FZ1 with 3100 miles. I'm in Indiana, USA. so the riding season is a few months away.

It came with a Delkevic slip on, Tail clean up kit, and LED turn signals. Other than that it seems stock but how do I know?????

No tool kit or owners manual.

Had a short test drive (39 degrees). It seemed to run fine, with no objectionable low speed snatch but it was a short ride.

Got a few questions....

Is there any way to know if the ECU has been flashed?

If I go to a 16T front sprocket, is the Gen I sprocket a direct swap? Seems that one has a rubber cushion built in? Is that the best front sprocket to go with?

What's up with the "red" key stuff? I got two black keys and a small metal rectangle with a number stamped on it. Both keys have a kind of black plastic rectangle top. (same look as my '04 FJR), but no "Red" key. Am I screwed in some way?

Is there a website for manuals?

Thanks for any input!

Dartnmartn

Hello all!
Just picked up a 2014 FZ1 with 3100 miles. I'm in Indiana, USA. so the riding season is a few months away.

It came with a Delkevic slip on, Tail clean up kit, and LED turn signals. Other than that it seems stock but how do I know?????

Had a short test drive (39 degrees). It seemed to run fine, with no objectionable low speed snatch but it was a short ride.

Got a few questions....

Is there any way to know if the ECU has been flashed?

If I go to a 16T front sprocket, is the Gen I sprocket a direct swap? Seems that one has a rubber cushion built in? Is that the best front sprocket to go with?

What's up with the "red" key stuff? I got two black keys and a small metal rectangle with a number stamped on it. Both keys have a kind of black plastic rectangle top. (same look as my '04 FJR), but no "Red" key. Am I screwed in some way?

Is there a website for manuals?

Thanks for any input!

Dartnmartn

Welcome and congrats on the new ride. The 16T front sprocket from the Gen1 is indeed a direct fit for the 2nd Gen bikes. I would definitely buy a OEM Stock front sprocket and get the new washer as well. I'm sure that the 2 black keys are the original keys and the red one is probably a copy the previous owner had made as a spare. The set with the metal rectangle on it is original. As for the flashed ECU, not sure but why not ask the P.O. about it. Does the bike have a Power Commander installed? And lastly, are you looking for an Owner's Manual or Service Manual? I think that both may be found online. Just do a search on Google. I'm sure you can't wait for Spring to arrive!

Hi mate,

Please see my answers in Red

Hello all!

Got a few questions....

Is there any way to know if the ECU has been flashed? Is there a sticker or engraving on the ECU?

If I go to a 16T front sprocket, is the Gen I sprocket a direct swap? Seems that one has a rubber cushion built in? Is that the best front sprocket to go with? Yes, it's a great choice, fit's perfectly and is less noisy than aftermarket

What's up with the "red" key stuff? I got two black keys and a small metal rectangle with a number stamped on it. Both keys have a kind of black plastic rectangle top. (same look as my '04 FJR), but no "Red" key. Am I screwed in some way? If you lose all your keys or would like to reprogram a new key, you will need the Red key to do so

Is there a website for manuals? Do a search online for the manual

Thanks for any input! You're welcome and welcome to the board; it's a tad slow these days

Dartnmartn

FZ1riderNY

Thanks for the reply.
The "RED KEY ISSUE" is something I read about in an owners manual I found online. It never mentioned the year of the bike it was referencing, so I'm not sure it even applies to my 2014. First thing in the manual was a write up on the "Chipped key" . All the keys in the drawings resembled pentagons (like an old Chrysler logo) with one SPECIAL red master key. Thing is, my keys have a black rectangle end, so they don't look anything like the one's I saw in the manual. Is this anti theft feature only on certain models of the FZ1? Maybe mine has a conventional key with no chip? It looks like the same key as my '04 FJR which has no chipped key. The previous owner may be a possibility but would take some investigation. I bought the bike from a dealer who sez they got it from the Honda dealer who took it in on a trade in.
I think this weekend will involve some deeper investigation to see just what the P.O. did do.

Count the front sprocket teeth (I see that even with my big head I can get a view down the chain and see the front sprocket)

Lift up the tank and look around for AIS mod, Air box mod, dig out the ECU (I see that Ivan writes on the ones he's altered), maybe other guys do the same or stickers....

Take off the slip on and see if there is a baffle in there.

See if the EXUP is disconnected

See if the CAT has been altered.

Then go from there!

Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
ballmead

Thanks for the input!

I've poked around a bit looking for manuals. Nothing easily found yet.
I also have a Suzuki SV and some guy on that forum had links to all the manuals for every model...

I see in your tag that your bike has a Penske Rear shock. I have a Penske on the SV and just started wondering if there might be the possibility of swapping it onto the FZ1? Do you know the clevis to clevis dimensions of what you installed? I plan on selling the SV but it's not worth very much (the shock is probably worth about what the bike is worth!). I have the stock shock. I'd put that back on the SV and alter the Penske to work for the FZ1.

Dartin

Last edited:
dartnmartn said:
The "RED KEY ISSUE" is something I read about in an owners manual I found online. It never mentioned the year of the bike it was referencing, so I'm not sure it even applies to my 2014. First thing in the manual was a write up on the "Chipped key" . All the keys in the drawings resembled pentagons (like an old Chrysler logo) with one SPECIAL red master key. Thing is, my keys have a black rectangle end, so they don't look anything like the one's I saw in the manual. Is this anti theft feature only on certain models of the FZ1? Maybe mine has a conventional key with no chip? It looks like the same key as my '04 FJR which has no chipped key. The previous owner may be a possibility but would take some investigation. I bought the bike from a dealer who sez they got it from the Honda dealer who took it in on a trade in.

The North American models didn't have the anti-theft enabled. That was only enabled on the European and Australasian models. So in all likelyhood, your bike never had the red key.

Back