Newbie from the PNW

Hello, newbie here from south east OR USA, and was refered to the site by Kidblooper (so you can all blame him if I get too annoying lol). I don't have an FZ1, but haven't found any good forums for FZX700 Fazers like mine, so figured since a lot of engine stuff is similar, this might be a good site to pick up tips and other info from time to time.
Here's a pic of my old dinosaur
dsc01557.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. I don't see an issue with having the Fazer. It actually reminds me of the early Vmax's. What year is that. The wheels looks like the 80's to me. Welcome again. The name here is Billy from NY.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. I don't see an issue with having the Fazer. It actually reminds me of the early Vmax's. What year is that. The wheels looks like the 80's to me. Welcome again. The name here is Billy from NY.

It's a 1986 that only had 9043 miles on it when I bought it for $2500 last Nov. When the Vmax first came out in '85 and was such a huge success, the US dealerships went crazy wanting a 750cc version for customers that wanted a Vmax, but weren't quite ready for a 145hp 1200cc monster. They originally tried to downscale the V4 from the max, but couldn't get the overall look right with the smaller V4 engine, so they decided to go with the proven FZR750 engine. They destroked it to get 699cc's to get around the stiff import tarrifs at the time on anything over 700cc's (was in effect at that time to try helping troubled HD stay in business.). To help with the torque, they gave it a different intake cam that had the same timing as the FZR750 cam, but a little less valve lift, then lightened the crankshaft to help it wind up faster. According to magazine testing, the Fazer 700 actually made more torque and hp than the FZR750 up until about 9,000rpm, which is where the restrictive exhaust and airbox seems to be holding the stock 700 back a lot. It's about 45lbs lighter than the FZR750, and it actually beat the FZR750 in most top gear roll on acceleration testing. 1/4 mile times for the stock Fazer were between 11.48 and 11.82 seconds in most magazine tests. Top speed was reported to be 137-138mph (fast enough for a bike with no windshield or fairings for wind protection lol). They actually handle much more like a sport bike, than a Vmax type cruiser. Mine handles as good if not slightly better than my '90 Katana 600, but not quite as good as a modern SS bike. They were only sold in the US in '86 and '87, but the UK and most of the rest of the world got a 750cc version (FZX750) from '86-'98.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. looks like you have a very interesteing ride there. Nothing better than an older bike that was a good runner twenty years ago and still is. I am drawn to bikes that have weathered the years and are still in great shape.

Back