Newbie with idling questions

Hello, I just bought a used 2002 FZ 1 with 8300 miles. The seller said he didn't ride much and that may be the problem. When I try to start the bike it wants to be throttled up even at full choke to start. It takes a while to warm up and seems to load up some at idle for a while after warm up. I'm thinking it sat too long with bad gas and or fouled the plugs. It runs fine at speed.

Hello, I just bought a used 2002 FZ 1 with 8300 miles. The seller said he didn't ride much and that may be the problem. When I try to start the bike it wants to be throttled up even at full choke to start. It takes a while to warm up and seems to load up some at idle for a while after warm up. I'm thinking it sat too long with bad gas and or fouled the plugs. It runs fine at speed.

If it runs okay off idle, it's definitely your idle jets that are clogged. If it sat for any period of time you can almost be sure that you need to clean them out. If you want first, get some Seafoam and put a healthy does in your tank and run it for a few miles. You may get lucky and it will clean itself out. If not you'll have to remove and clean your carbs which isn't too bad a deal at all. Just think, you have only 8K miles on her so you might as well get it cleaned and be done with it. The GenI bikes are notorious for jets clogging if you let them sit untreated for a long period of time.

If it runs okay off idle, it's definitely your idle jets that are clogged. If it sat for any period of time you can almost be sure that you need to clean them out. If you want first, get some Seafoam and put a healthy does in your tank and run it for a few miles. You may get lucky and it will clean itself out. If not you'll have to remove and clean your carbs which isn't too bad a deal at all. Just think, you have only 8K miles on her so you might as well get it cleaned and be done with it. The GenI bikes are notorious for jets clogging if you let them sit untreated for a long period of time.

The previous owner said he had seafoamed it so I don't think I'm gonna get off quite that easy.

The previous owner said he had seafoamed it so I don't think I'm gonna get off quite that easy.

Well then it sounds like it's time to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Might also be a good time to install a jet kit if you don't have one on there...

I ride an 02 FZ1 and I'm here in Texas.

If it's cold, by local standards, it fires up instantly and idles well.

When the engine is hot, it fires up instantly and idles well but, if the engine is cold and the ambient temperature is about 70 degrees, it's hard to find the choke "sweet spot" where it lights off right away and idles smoothly.

Usually, I have to fuss with the choke and crack the throttle ever so slightly and then mess with the choke setting to make sure it idles.

Cold? No problem. Hot? No problem. But cold engine and mild outside temperatures can have an affect.

Back