NH to MI coming right up!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
My wife and I are taking the bikes to Michigan next week. We're going to visit my best friend from the Army who also was my Best Man at our wedding. We've never done a tip this long before but we've been doing a lot of 100 - 300 mile days to warm up to the idea.

Sept 4th, we will leave NH and strike out for upstate NY. We'll be stopping for the night in Webster.

Sept 5th, we leave in the morning and head through Canada, stopping at Niagra Falls on the Canadian side for some pics and a break. We'll be coming into Michigan via Port Huron and our friend lives about 25 miles beyond.

While there for the week, we have no idea where we might be going. Most of this is to relax and catch up with him and his wife as it has been a couple years. I do know we'll be taking one day to hit Frankenmuth where I'm sure stuff will be bought and shipped to NH!

Our return will be Sept 12th from MI to the Three Rivers/Liverpool area where we will stop for the night. Sunday, Sept 13th, we'll be making the last leg of the journey back home to NH.

The whole trip is planned with no major highways and no tolls except the ones we cannot avoid (in Canada). I hope to get some pics as we stop to stretch and hydrate once in a while. We're packing light and taking no laptops, etc.

So, I'll be offline for most if not all of that week of Labor Day. I'm going to take mental notes along the way and will report on the whole trip when we return.

Wish us luck and an uneventful trip! :D

That sounds wonderful Eric. I wish you a safe and uneventful trip for you and your wife. I hope you have beautiful weather for the entire ride. It looks like we are both vacationing at the same time this year. I'll be down in Jersey for the innaugural AMA Superbike race at the NJ Motorsports Park. I'm sure that we'll both have some great pics to post after Labor Day. Good luck and be safe!

Sounds like you have it planned right! Enjoy the ride and have fun. I am sure we'll see lots of pics when you return :D. Oh and Billy I might just see you down at the AMA race. Haven't really finalized any plans yet for that weekend, but will let you know if I head down there.

Sounds like you have it planned right! Enjoy the ride and have fun. I am sure we'll see lots of pics when you return :D. Oh and Billy I might just see you down at the AMA race. Haven't really finalized any plans yet for that weekend, but will let you know if I head down there.

You have my cell number. Feel free to call me if you attend so we can meet up. We'll do lunch! I'll be there all three days so even if you only make it for one, that will be great too. Hope to see ya!

So, after making our list and checking it twice, and filling the camelbacks with ice.... :D

We're almost totally packed as of last night. Tonight, I strap/tie/bungie all the stuff to both bikes and we head for our first stop bright and early.

The bikes are all set with oil and filters, chain maint complete, fueling tonight and the GPS is loaded and ready to guide us on our journey. I'll try and get pics along the way but definitely in the morning before we depart. Here's hoping that it is safe and uneventful!

I won't be around a PC or internet much while I'm gone. I might spend a bit of time on my friend's PC, at least enough to let friends/family/forums know we've made it safely.

I hope all of you have a safe Labor Day weekend. Watch for traffic because you know all the idiots are going to be out there in force!

We made it to Webster, NY last night and we're getting ready to leave for MI. 496 miles yesterday and the GPS took us to some odd places. We saw a group of FZ1 gen ii riders in Warrensburg and a single FZ1 just south of Speculator, NY. No incidents and the weather was absolutely perfect!

Navigating this site on a BB isn't easy! See ya in MI!

Looks like you'll be hitting some great weather in Michigan. Nows the time to tour the Great Lakes. Too bad you won't read this till you're back because once you cross Lake Huron you should go north and follow the shoreline all the way to Mackinaw City. You wouldn't forget that trip.

We made it to Michigan at about 6pm tonight. We're visiting an old Army buddy who was our best man. We just finished a few beers, some great BBQ and homemade salads and about an hour in the hot tub. Whew!

The FZ's both did a fantastic job. It did take almost 90 minutes to get through customs in Niagara because the line was LONG! But, we got behind some locals on the highways here and was able to burn some miles at some very "good" speeds!

No incidents to speak of. No issues with the bikes and absolutely terrific weather.

Unsure where they will be taking us on bike tour from here. We're just happy to be here and relaxing!

We hope the ride back is just as great! Just shy of 800 miles to get here. WOW!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got there safely. Sounds like a great trip so far! I'll be heading down to New Jersey Motorsports Park early tomorrow morning to catch some AMA Superbike action :tup:

So? How was the AMA? :D

We are back! 1,629.8 miles and it all went without incident. We are VERY thankful! No troubles with the bikes, they both performed flawlessly. No trouble with the LEOs and we certainly gave them enough "opportunity" both ways! ;)

I'll have a few pics up and a report on the trip in a couple of days. We're tired and need to get a good night's sleep for work tomorrow.

Norm, I will see you tomorrow after work. :tup:

Back