No more expensive tire changes for NJ people!

Well.. not just NJ.. if you're within reasonable driving distance of central NJ :D

a8lh.jpg

Its a No Mar. It looks like the Classic model. If I every bought a setup, it would be exactly what the OP bought. Nice pick up.

I pay anywhere from $10 to $25 to have a tire mounted, depending on how the guy at the shop is feeling that particular day (I pay cash, and I doubt that it ever actually sees the books). Probably averages about $20, and it's done while I stand around and chat with the owner for 15 minutes or so. I've thought about getting some friends together and buying one of these, since it would take about 40 tire changes to get our money back. I suppose if we were tracking our bikes, a (good) changer would be a valid investment, but I have trouble justifying the cost. How long do you think it'll take before you've "recovered" the cost?

I'm completely aware of how good a deal I'm getting. I tried very hard to find a shop that I trust, and it took a few years. I actually had one local shop confirm an appointment for "general maintenance" but when I showed up, the sign on the door actually said "Gone Fishin'!" Another charged me $100 to change two tires (off bike) and I thought that was a little extreme.

I'm comfortable wrenching on my own bike for many things, but sometimes I am not willing to take something on, or I have more money than time. Having a good relationship with the shop owner (and it's a small local shop - not a dealer) has paid off time and time again when he's taken care of me. In return, I always recommend him to other locals, and have thrown a fair amount of business his way - both my own and through those recommendations.

I got the package (tire changer, balancer, and a bunch of little extras) for $790. Far from cheap, but I'm hoping it'll eventually pay for itself.

Doing a little side business? I actually own a tire/mechanical shop so your taking food from my mouth! :cry:

I pay anywhere from $10 to $25 to have a tire mounted, depending on how the guy at the shop is feeling that particular day (I pay cash, and I doubt that it ever actually sees the books). Probably averages about $20, and it's done while I stand around and chat with the owner for 15 minutes or so. I've thought about getting some friends together and buying one of these, since it would take about 40 tire changes to get our money back. I suppose if we were tracking our bikes, a (good) changer would be a valid investment, but I have trouble justifying the cost. How long do you think it'll take before you've "recovered" the cost?

Cheapest *near* me is 30 each, and it's not really near me.. 1 hour each way with ugly traffic. The ones actually near me are 50 each.

Back