Noise in helmet from mirrors

didier9

I have a modular helmet (HJC) and the wind noise is quite significant on my bike (2003). I have riden true naked bikes (FZ-07 and a KTM Super Duke) and the wind noise on those is quite a bit less. Of course, the air pressure on the helmet on the naked is quite a bit stronger but I guess there is less turbulence, and the turbulence is what creates noise.
I tried removing the windshield on my bike, and I also tried extending it a couple of inches, and while that greatly affected the mount of air pressure on the helmet, it did not do much for the noise.

Well, it turns out a lot of the noise is due to the stock mirrors. I am almost 6' tall and the turbulence from the mirrors hits me just under the helmet. If I stand up as straight as possible, the noise drops quite a bit.

I was wondering if anyone else has observed this and if anyone is aware of aftermarket mirrors that would fix that.

I looked at bar ends mirrors, but I hate those. Too small and too far down to be useful.

I would like mirrors that would be a few inches lower than the stock, and possibly a different shape that would not cause as much turbulence.

Any recommendation appreciated.

Didier

sent from my Moto-X on Tapatalk

Bar end mirrors do not work for me, probably due to my progressive lens glasses. I can't see through them when riding unless I purposely tip my head down. I need the mirrors at head level, or at least not much lower than the stock mirrors. What would actually help would be longer stems to move the mirrors farther to the outside, but that would increase vibrations.

Back