Noob with questions... Just bought a 2002 FZ1

Hi guys,

Just bought her, and didn't get an owners manual out of the deal... bike was on consignment, so questions didn't go far.

First and foremost: Where is the fuel petcock, so I can switch to reserve?

My handlebar risers say GTY-R on them, I'm curious if they are stock... I'd like to raise the bars a bit.

The dealer installed Shinko Advance 005's which seem pretty darn sticky, I'm curious if anyone is running them and what mileage you've gotten out of them. I ride year round, and have put 12k on my other bike so far... Wanting to go for the longest wearing ones/cheaper cost per mile.

Thanks!

Zach

Hi guys,

Just bought her, and didn't get an owners manual out of the deal... bike was on consignment, so questions didn't go far.

First and foremost: Where is the fuel petcock, so I can switch to reserve?

My handlebar risers say GTY-R on them, I'm curious if they are stock... I'd like to raise the bars a bit.

The dealer installed Shinko Advance 005's which seem pretty darn sticky, I'm curious if anyone is running them and what mileage you've gotten out of them. I ride year round, and have put 12k on my other bike so far... Wanting to go for the longest wearing ones/cheaper cost per mile.

Thanks!

Zach

Welcome Zach and congrats on your new bike. The petcock is below the tank and NO you can't switch to reserve. It is automatically on reserve with a gallon or so of gas left in the tank. When your gas light comes on, you have about a gallon or 35 to 40 miles to get gas. The GTY-R risers are not stock. They are Yamaha optional risers which are lower than stock risers by about an inch. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We are here to help you along. Your bike is a first generation FZ1 or GenI as we call them. Thats any FZ1 from 01' to 05'. From 06' to present are considered GenII bikes and are fuel injected as opposed to carbed. My bike is an 01' and I love it. Post some pics when you have time. Welcome again!

Thanks for the help!

Wow. I'm really liking this bike, though I may swap out the risers... and put on some buell pegs. She's not "Cramped" but could be a little more relaxed.

It was rainy and wet out all day, I didn't romp on her to much... These shinko 005's do ok hooking up in the straight line in the wet. Tighter turning highway on ramps are a little iffy, but I only had her slide sideways on both ends once... thinking that will improve once given a chance to scrub them off a bit.

Today I ran four tanks of fuel through her. Mostly highway. It looks like a range of 180 miles before the reserve light kicks on, trying hard to keep her smooth and steady... 65-70. 166-170 miles keeping 75-80. 43 and 40.

I'd like to get a few more mpg out of her, my other bike is a ninja 250... with a range of 250 miles out of the same 4.1 gallons. Kind of dings the wallet to rack up the miles otherwise! I haven't tossed her up on the center stand, but do they take a little more fuel than on the side stand?

From what I can tell she has a micron pipe, frame sliders, and braided stainless brake lines. She sounds a little lean down low in the rev range, (Below 4k rpm...) pops and sputters while engine braking and isn't the smoothest thing in the world if you short shift her. I think the cam profile doesn't lend its self to low rpm loping around town... Any word from other riders?

All in all, I'm immensely pleased with this FZ1.

newyamaha.jpg
Thanks for the help!  Wow.  I'm really liking this bike, though I may swap out the risers... and put on some buell pegs.  She's not "Cramped" but could be a little more relaxed.  It was rainy and wet out all day, I didn't romp on her to much...  These shinko 005's do ok hooking up in the straight line in the wet.  Tighter turning highway on ramps are a little iffy, but I only had her slide sideways on both ends once... thinking that will improve once given a chance to scrub them off a bit.    Today I ran four tanks of fuel through her.  Mostly highway.  It looks like a range of 180 miles before the reserve light kicks on, trying hard to keep her smooth and steady... 65-70.   166-170 miles keeping 75-80. 43 and 40.    I'd like to get a few more mpg out of her, my other bike is a ninja 250... with a range of 250 miles out of the same 4.1 gallons.  Kind of dings the wallet to rack up the miles otherwise!  I haven't tossed her up on the center stand, but do they take a little more fuel than on the side stand

newyamaha.jpg

Last edited:
Well you got spoiled by the MPG of that 250 Ninja! Your mileage isn't all that bad when you think about the fact that it's a 1 liter bike. And yes it you stand the bike up straight when you're fueling you'll be able to get a little more in there. Also move it around from side to side as the level comes up in the tank to get rid of any trapped air.

As for the popping do the AIS eliminator and that should help with it. Will also make changing plugs easier down the road. Also sounds like a jet kit may be in order as there bikes are lean from the factory in the low RPM range and the exhaust is only making it worse.

Yup... spoiled. But I am in love with the g-forces this engine puts out.

Do people see a mpg improvement after doing Ivans jet kit?

How about spare keys? Cheapest to find a good locksmith, or order through a dealer? Do they pull it from the VIN, or is a key code stamped somewhere? I only have one...

Thanks

Zach

How about spare keys? Cheapest to find a good locksmith, or order through a dealer? Do they pull it from the VIN, or is a key code stamped somewhere? I only have one...

Thanks

Zach

I just go to the local locksmith unless there is a dealer who cuts the keys on premise. I found out that my local Yamaha Stealer takes the keys, makes you come back for them, then takes them down the road to the locksmith. He then charges you a little more than the locksmith. And then wonder why they have such a bad reputation. Go to the locksmith yourself with your key and pay about 4 bucks a copy. At least thats what it is up here in NY.

I have Ivan's kit installed and all I can say is that since your winding up with bigger jets, your gas may be a little lower than stock. I can still pull out 42 to 45 mpg if I just ride normal. When I get on it though, it slips below 40, running about 39 to 41 mpg. You can still get about 190 miles or more from a full tank if you control your throttle hand and behave. The only problem is that after the jet kit was installed, the bike ran so nice that you just have the urge to let it rip a little more than before. The loss in mpg is very minimal, at least in my case. Reports vary as to gas mileage. I'd rather have a bit less mileage overall and have beautiful clean crisp throttle response with no stuttering from 0 to redline any day.

Thanks

Zach

Hey Zach.

Welcome to the FZ1OOO and congratulations. If you are worried about how much gas your going to burn, I would say stick to the 250cc. The FZ1 is just a fun comfortable beast of a bike ( over 8,000 rpms an animal ) to ride. So don't worry about how much gas your going to use, just ride and have fun.

Regards, Ray. :noworries:

Thanks for the help!

Wow. I'm really liking this bike, though I may swap out the risers... and put on some buell pegs. She's not "Cramped" but could be a little more relaxed.

I have a gen 2 and will trade you risers if you are interested? im looking to get a little lower, they are bolt on and we can overnight them if you are interested

I think I'm going to keep the risers... just ticked over a thousand miles on her. Adjusted the chain, and tweaked the shifter a touch down.

She's quick!

Anyone have a set of Ivan's ported carb boots? I've got to say the temptation of a few more ponies is pulling at my wallet... If stock is good, then a few more must be better... right? Grin. Mine have some cracks starting... no vacuum leaks though.

Thanks,

Zach

Beaufort... down by the beach. Grin.

Thinking about heading either to shady valley/tail of the dragon this weekend... or down to atlanta. Are the leaves changing?

Zach

Shady Valley was gorgeous. 818 miles in one day...

Discovered that my chain isnt an o-ring. Anyone have opinions on doing a 520 chain conversion? I don't know if it'd wear out quicker than the 530... but I like the idea of being able to get something off the shelf when it wears out in far away places. (I spent an extra 2 days in Key West waiting on a chain and sprocket kit for another bike.)

Zach

sorry I didn't catch your response earlier....

I did a 520 conversion on mine... the key is getting a good rear sprocket, a good chain, and keeping things adjusted properly... I use a EK XW ring chain.. and actually get more miles out of it than I did on the stock 530... when I first did the conversion, I was dumb and bought a kit on eBay... came with a Vortex Aluminum rear sprocket..that thing was trash in about 6,000 miles... I went to the tri-metal "Stealth" sprocket... and that thing is great... Aluminum carrier, but steel teeth... so.. you get the benefits of the lightweight aluminum, but the wear of a steel sprocket.... I also went to 15/47 gearing... which was a GREAT idea.... I'd never go back to stock... around here, it was really out of necessity... I was finding that with the stock tall gearing, some of the hill around town here, I'd have to slip the clutch in 1st to make it up these hills... it was nasty... with new gearing, navigating these hills isn't a problem....

Belated congrats on your purchase, Zach! Looks like you and I became Gen1 owners about the same time.

You mentioned swapping the stock footpegs for Buells. I was wondering if you ever made the change? (Or, has anyone else?) If so, how did it go? Did you use XB9's?

Thanks!

Back